Henry Cejudo against Demetrious Johnson trilogy: ‘We need new storylines in our weight class’

DJ is injured anyways. Cejudo can fight someone else in the meantime, and DJ can get a shot when he's healthy again. simple.

I don't think he has any meaningful injuries that will keep him out for much time. Just had extra swelling around the knee, likely due to scar tissue (likely something that will plague him for the rest of his career) and no major fractures in the foot. There is something to say for having the fight marinate a tad, but that's only if the UFC is also willing to actively promote the fights leading up to the rematch (as well as the rematch) properly.

Cruz said something similar about taking the Garbrandt fight rather than a rematch with TJ.

The problem is there are no flyweights comparable to CoGar when he was on the rise. Benavidez vs Cejudo II would be fun if DJ is out for a while though.

If only Kyoji didn't go back to japan. I'd love to watch cejudo vs. Kyoji

If only Kyoji didn't go back to japan. I'd love to watch cejudo vs. Kyoji

I could see it be a dull fight. After years of getting used to MMA in general, it seems that Cejudo has adjusted his exceptional wrestling to the sport of MMA, and I think he can get Horiguchi down with some regularity. He has a mediocre top game, which is a real shame, so I don't see him doing much from the top, but I can see him gleaning rounds, especially because Cejudo is a genuinely good striker in addition to being among the best wrestlers ever in the sport.

Having Horiguchi at FlyW or BW would be excellent, though. Close to the best fighter outside of the UFC (throw the likes of Caldwell, Chandler, Mousasi, MacDonald, Koreshkov, and Lima in the mix, as well).

I could see it be a dull fight. After years of getting used to MMA in general, it seems that Cejudo has adjusted his exceptional wrestling to the sport of MMA, and I think he can get Horiguchi down with some regularity. He has a mediocre top game, which is a real shame, so I don't see him doing much from the top, but I can see him gleaning rounds, especially because Cejudo is a genuinely good striker in addition to being among the best wrestlers ever in the sport.

Having Horiguchi at FlyW or BW would be excellent, though. Close to the best fighter outside of the UFC (throw the likes of Caldwell, Chandler, Mousasi, MacDonald, Koreshkov, and Lima in the mix, as well).

I think Horiguchi is a top 3 guy at Flyweight, and a top 5 guy at BW. I wouldn't be surprised if he could beat cejudo or even TJ, to be honest. I'm not saying I'd favor him, but I think he has as good a chance as anyone else in those divisions. Kyoji's wrestling has improved a lot since he lost to DJ and started training at ATT, and he's much more dangerous on the feet than DJ—I can see him catching cejudo.

Cejudo is right but that goes every single weight class. Instant rematches after losing the belt is way too common.
When a guy has 10+ title defenses, it's warranted. This isn't like Cody No Chin vs T.J. By the way, getting an immediate rematch fucked Cody because now he will probably never get another shot as long as T.J. is still champ.

I think Horiguchi is a top 3 guy at Flyweight, and a top 5 guy at BW. I wouldn't be surprised if he could beat cejudo or even TJ, to be honest. I'm not saying I'd favor him, but I think he has as good a chance as anyone else in those divisions. Kyoji's wrestling has improved a lot since he lost to DJ and started training at ATT, and he's much more dangerous on the feet than DJ—I can see him catching cejudo.

I think Cejudo is a real top level fighter. Horiguchi, as well, but I think Cejudo is genuinely special. It's not too far off from a 50/50 fight in my mind. I still think Johnson beats both, but those are very, very competitive fights against either man in my view. Suddenly FlyW could be extremely interesting with a truly elite top 4 (or even 5 if Dodson wanted to get back down, coupled with some quality young talent at FlyW). It's fascinating how a division can suddenly look far better as soon as a dominant champion is dethroned.

When a guy has 10+ title defenses, it's warranted. This isn't like Cody No Chin vs T.J. By the way, getting an immediate rematch fucked Cody because now he will probably never get another shot as long as T.J. is still champ.

I have mix feelings about this. Does defending the title many times entitle you to a rematch when you lose? I personally never agreed with this reasoning because it's essentially putting in an instant rematch clause regardless of the out come. I think it's unfair for the challenger and bad for the division long term.

In my opinion an instant rematches should only happen if a draw happens, an extremely conversational decision happens or something out of norm happens. I guess you could argue the point that MM vs Cejudo was a very close decision and perhaps it was a controversial outcome and I'd be inclined to agree.

The other thing I despise seeing is when a champion gets brutally beaten/tko'd/ko'd and he's given an instant rematch. That chit should never happen. The former champion is at a mental disadvantage. I'd personally rather see the former champion fight other contenders to rebuild confidence before fighting the new champion again. It seems better for the ex champion and it gives the new champion time to establish himself as a legit champion.

I guess the way I look at it is like a slippery slope. Cruz is a good example of this. The guy is a great fighter but he's basically asking for another instant title shot after being given one and losing to Necktat. Cruz could very well beat TJ again because he's that capable and the division would be back to square one where he's fighting neck tat and TJ is stuck in another waiting game. I'd rather see TJ rack up title defenses while Cruz gets some good wins under his belt.

Last edited:
You can worry about "new storylines" when you beat Demetrious for a second time and win the trilogy. Until then, no other fight in the division should even be talked about.

I have mix feelings about this. Does defending the title many times entitle you to a rematch when you lose? I personally never agreed with this reasoning because it's essentially putting in an instant rematch clause regardless of the out come. I think it's unfair for the challenger and bad for the division long term.

In my opinion an instant rematches should only happen if a draw happens, an extremely conversational decision happens or something out of norm happens. I guess you could argue the point that MM vs Cejudo was a very close decision and perhaps it was a controversial outcome and I'd be inclined to agree.

The other thing I despise seeing is when a champion gets brutally beaten/tko'd/ko'd and he's given an instant rematch. That chit should never happen. The former champion is at a mental disadvantage. I'd personally rather see the former champion fight other contenders to rebuild confidence before fighting the new champion again. It seems better for the ex champion and it gives the new champion time to establish himself as a legit champion.

I guess the way I look at it is like a slippery slope. Cruz is a good example of this. The guy is a great fighter but he's basically asking for another instant title shot after being given one and losing to Necktat. Cruz could very well beat TJ again because he's that capable and the division would be back to square one where he's fighting neck tat and TJ is stuck in another waiting game. I'd rather see TJ rack up title defenses while Cruz gets some good wins under his belt.
I say take it on a case-by-case basis. MM has 10+ title defenses, he destroyed Henry in the first fight, and then there was a debatable decision in the rematch. I think an immediate rematch is warranted in this case. At 135, you can make a case for Cruz, Assuncao or Moraes getting the next shot. Personally, I'd give it to Moraes and then have Cruz fight Assuncao. And then I'd match up Cody with someone like Jimmie Rivera. The winner of T.J. vs Moraes can fight the winner of Cruz vs Assuncao. I'd try to keep Cody just off the type of fights that would warrant another title shot, at least while T.J. still has the belt.

The trilogy is the biggest storyline FLW's ever had. He'd be right if there were great contenders, mix it up a bit and build anticipation for the trilogy. But there's no such thing.

Humans being the creatures that they are, they love a good story. Which is why TV coverage on the Olympics pumps out so many heartwarming little bio-pieces on the competitors, to make us care. But that doesn't make the Olympics base their selection criteria and matchups on "storyline." As Cejudo, who never stops informing us he was a gold medalist, should know.

Granted the UFC ain't the IOC, but neither is it pro wrestling (yet). It treads a delicate balance of sport and entertainment. Lunge too obviously in favor of the entertainment aspect and it will fall, broken by the weight of its cynicism. So please shut up about storylines.

Lmao new storylines?
This ain't D&D. And there's nothing stopping contenders from making noise. Conor was big before he became champ. Guys like Rampage, the Diaz bros, Chael, etc. Dont need belts to get attention.
Either have a mouth, or be an exciting fighter and people will watch.

That's some of the most bullshitiest shit ive ever heard.
MM FINISHED your ass in the first fight, and then you squeaked out a close win in a 5 round fight in the 2nd..and you trying to weasel out of a rematch for "storylines"?
I hate instant rematches, but if there is ANYBODY that deserves one, it is MM.

Cejudo already a worse champ lol and didnt rven deserve the belt

Now the champion of an undervalued 125-pound class, Cejudo is hoping his title reign injects new life into a division dictated by one man over the past five years. While most people around the mixed martial arts (MMA) community agree that Johnson’s track record is enough to land him an immediate trilogy fight opposite Cejudo, especially considering “Might Mouse” defeated “Messenger” via TKO two years ago, Cejudo is making the case that he should fight a new challenger next.

I would agree when it comes to the statistics side of it,” Cejudo recently said on the Ariel Helwani MMA Show when discussing Johnson’s bid for a trilogy bout. “But at the same time, I know what the UFC’s trying to create, man. I had to wait two and a half years to face Demetrious Johnson.

“I had to wait, too. And it’s also good, too, for our weight class to start new storylines that have noting to do with Demetrious Johnson. We need new storylines in our weight class.”

According to Cejudo, anyone other than “Mighty Mouse” would be a good choice for UFC as the promotion tries to reinvent the 125-pound division and create new interest among fight fans.

“Think about it…let’s just say Demetrious Johnson beats me for the trilogy,” Cejudo said. “Again, that goes back to not building a storyline. I think Demetrious Johnson may agree with me. Just for the sake of our weight class, I think it would be good. I think it would be good to see somebody else, for now, except for Demetrious Johnson.”

https://www.mmamania.com/platform/a...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

AAAAAAAHAHAHAHA

BARELY squeaked out a SPLIT decision, by ONE point, and got WRECKED in the first fight.

If anybody on the planet actually does deserve a rematch, it's Mighty Mouse.

"Our weight class needs more story lines. DJ never cared about the division.

Brb, going up to another weight class to fight dillashaw real quick"

<{MindBrown}>

Seriously... The excuse is so bad he contradicted the whole point he was trying to make / exposed himself as a total hypocrite

Henry needs a title defense to be given a champ vs champ fight with Dillashaw. He doesn't want that falling apart fighting MM. If he can bury MM and TJ oh fuck Dana will love this dude. Will give him a job for life!

Lol- yeah, id say that too.What a joke, if anyone should get an instant re-match it'd be Johnson -FFS.In fact I was really surprised of that decision in first place.I thought it was a bad decision and can't believe Demetrius was actually clapping (showing class to a fault).

If he doesn't fight Demetrius next, I'll be backing his next opponent whoever it might be......and I was actually rooting for Cejudo in that fight cause I wanted to see a change in hands of title to see some different title match ups but imho, off that fight Johnson HAD NO BUSINESS GETTING HIS TITLE TAKEN AWAY

Back