Henry Cejudo against Demetrious Johnson trilogy: ‘We need new storylines in our weight class’

Cejudo's the first new Champ in forever and there's not one interesting matchup for him besides a guy he's fought twice already?! What a shit show. Now is a really good time to close down the division and send these dudes up to 135 where fights have some relevancy.

They should give this dude a gold medal in ducking.

This would make sense if the it weren't standard practice for the UFC to give champs instant rematches even when they lose in embarrassing fashion.

MM has beaten most of the rest of the division and he barely lost to Cejudo. Why should he have to work his way back up to the title? That's fucking asinine.

Even more ridiculous is Cejudo making this argument after saying that he wants to go to 135 to fight Dillashaw.

I've got a lot of respect for Cejudo as an athlete, especially the way that he came back from that embarrassing first fight against Johnson, but dude is a fucking trainwreck when he talks.
He definitely should have a few defenses before challenging anyone at 135. That’s my point but, it shouldn’t be standard practice to get instant rematches, no one should get them. Keep the division flowing rather than watch the same fights over and over

I hate instant rematches, but few have deserved one more than MM. Most consecutive title defenses in UFC history and lost via split. Cejudo should be more grateful to the man that ducked TJ to fight him.

so he gets KTFO very quickly in the first fight

loses a decision in the second and gets a win gifted

and now he ducks a rematch with a champ hwo defended like 10 times

i´m a cejudo hater from now on

If he got a few defenses and then rematched, it wouldn't be more entertaining. I mean if Mouse beats him, then what? Benavidez 3? Carioso 2? Borg 2? He needs more options. Flw is boring AF with Mouse at the helm. Mouse should go to 135 for a few fights then go back down or something. There's nothing left for him to accomplish there - already has title defenses, etc. Go become a champ champ.

I'm not a fan of automatic rematches, but that was a super close fight that I had as 48-47 Johnson. I can't really argue against a rematch in this case.

does cejudo really believe there will be more hype for this division now? if anything even less people will care...

AAAAAAAHAHAHAHA

BARELY squeaked out a SPLIT decision, by ONE point, and got WRECKED in the first fight.

If anybody on the planet actually does deserve a rematch, it's Mighty Mouse.

Although I think perhaps more a career decision for MM, does he head right back into the fight and potentially lose his spot at the top of 125lbs for the forseeble future with a loss or does he build more of a comeback trail across several fights? I wouldn't say its a fight like Anderson/Weidman in that the public are absolutely crying out for a rematch.

On the negative side of that I spose the longer he leaves it potentially the better Cejudo gets.

Now the champion of an undervalued 125-pound class, Cejudo is hoping his title reign injects new life into a division dictated by one man over the past five years. While most people around the mixed martial arts (MMA) community agree that Johnson’s track record is enough to land him an immediate trilogy fight opposite Cejudo, especially considering “Might Mouse” defeated “Messenger” via TKO two years ago, Cejudo is making the case that he should fight a new challenger next.

I would agree when it comes to the statistics side of it,” Cejudo recently said on the Ariel Helwani MMA Show when discussing Johnson’s bid for a trilogy bout. “But at the same time, I know what the UFC’s trying to create, man. I had to wait two and a half years to face Demetrious Johnson.

“I had to wait, too. And it’s also good, too, for our weight class to start new storylines that have noting to do with Demetrious Johnson. We need new storylines in our weight class.”

According to Cejudo, anyone other than “Mighty Mouse” would be a good choice for UFC as the promotion tries to reinvent the 125-pound division and create new interest among fight fans.

“Think about it…let’s just say Demetrious Johnson beats me for the trilogy,” Cejudo said. “Again, that goes back to not building a storyline. I think Demetrious Johnson may agree with me. Just for the sake of our weight class, I think it would be good. I think it would be good to see somebody else, for now, except for Demetrious Johnson.”

https://www.mmamania.com/platform/a...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Tldr, I need the UFC to be more like the WWE.

UFC is a business and re-matches should only be determined by its commercial viability.

MM may be deserving of a rematch if the UFC was a pure sports non for profit.

If he gets a rematch it would be an absolute disgrace and a blight on the UFC organization.

Imagine if they ever wanted to sell the business later on but as a buyer, you saw the owner run the product into the ground by giving a ppv non-factor repeated re-matches for the title.

First up, it would be his first rematch.

Secondly, there is more money in sport, than in sports entertainment. A possible marginal increase in revenue is not worth the hit to legitimacy long term.

Can anyone suggest a bigger FW fight than the rematch?

Strong contender for biggest fight the division has ever had.

Can anyone suggest a bigger FW fight than the rematch?

Strong contender for biggest fight the division has ever had.

Dillashaw vs. Cejudo so that way if TJ wins MM is forced to fight TJ

Cejudo vs Benavidez would be the fight to make if they wanna build storylines.

Benavidez beat Cejudo just 2 years ago. And he's got a great record with 25 wins and only losses being DJ, Cruz, and a recent split-decision with Sergio Pettis.

A rematch be great for the division.
If Benavidez wins, then suddenly there are 2 interesting fights for DJ.
If Cejudo wins, then he gets that crucial first defense, becomes built up a lot more, and his next fight would become more interesting.

Back