Here in Canada we dont use guns for self defence

Steven_Universe

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings on this.

On one hand people are rarely shot.
I live in Toronto and something like 60-100 people get shot every year. It’s limited really to the real hardened gangbangers and maybe one or two innocent bystanders per year.

On the other hand we really have not much recourse for self defence. We are expected to abandon our home to Home invaders and gather your family and run for it rather than defend yourselves lethally.

What do you guys think of the Canadian model.

https://www.google.ca/amp/nationalp...on-case-to-test-canadas-self-defence-laws/amp

I’ve actually attached a recent case from my city where 3 brothers were arrested after beating the crap out of a Home invader and leaving him in critical condition.

I wish we could change these laws, but at the same time I don’t want things to turn to the Wild West. Florida, Zimmerman, etc.

Last edited:
Better hit the track if you want to survive.

Fucking stupid. I'm not leaving my house so some junkie can take my tv. I have a glock, and I'll use it if you break in.

In my state (South Australia) we effectively have Castle Law, but we don't own guns for self defence either.
Seems to work just fine.

How do you abandon your home to an invader? That doesn't even make sense. If you sleep upstairs, odds are you're going to have to pass them on the way out.

if anyone invades my home i just start humming the Game of Thrones theme song and sentance them to trial by combat.

im 4-0

What's the worst punishment you can get for self defense? Couple of years in a cushy jail cell?

It's basically legal then.

Your house your rules but for me fuck that. If you break into a home you should expect to get shot.

The act of breaking in should be justification for the use of deadly force.

And I fully support the 2nd .

How do you abandon your home to an invader? That doesn't even make sense. If you sleep upstairs, odds are you're going to have to pass them on the way out.
You do the polite thing. Apologize as you squeeze past on the stairs, and offer to help them carry the TV. Wouldn’t want them throwing out their back, eh.

There's reasons why governments in strong democracies have the monopoly on violence, but I instantly forgot about those reasons when I imagine myself or a loved one in a bad scenario like a home invasion.
I see self-defense like a lot of people I know see weed. People are gonna do it regardless.

Last edited:
You do the polite thing. Apologize as you squeeze past on the stairs, and offer to help them carry the TV. Wouldn’t want them throwing out their back, eh.

The "eh" at the end drew a genuinely laugh from me.

if anyone invades my home i just start humming the Game of Thrones theme song and sentance them to trial by combat.

im 4-0

Perp walking through a dark house, then they just hear the door lock behind them and the words "Winter is here."

From a self defense point my state has had open carry firearm on the books since the 1860’s. At this time conceal carry is 100% legal without a permit for non felons.Its pretty quiet and not much crime so it’s not an issue really

TS, you've actually got it wrong. Self defense is perfectly legal in Canada, including the use of firearms, as long as you use 'reasonable' force.

Here's an article on it. They freely admit that the use of a firearm will almost certainly get you charged, but chances are excellent that you will get off. Of course you will be much poorer afterwards.

https://www.ammoland.com/2016/03/canadian-self-defense-law-three-things-you-absolutely-must-know/

Here, from the Criminal Code of Canada Section 34, is the self-defense provision in view:

34 (1) A person is not guilty of an offence if
(a) they believe on reasonable grounds that force is being used against them or another person or that a threat of force is being made against them or another person;
(b) the act that constitutes the offence is committed for the purpose of defending or protecting themselves or the other person from that use or threat of force; and
(c) the act committed is reasonable in the circumstances.

Your house your rules but for me fuck that. If you break into a home you should expect to get shot.

The act of breaking in should be justification for the use of deadly force.

And I fully support the 2nd .

Agreed. The responsibility shouldn't be on me to ask (or believe) a perp what they're doing in my home. They'll get a warning because I'd rather not kill a person, but if that warning is disregarded then I'll assume they are there for a fight. Not a perfect system but I'll err on the side of keeping me and my family alive.

I don't think robbery should come with a death sentence, but I also don't think it's reasonable to expect a civilian to exercise a high degree of patience in such a tense encounter - especially with extenuating circumstances, like being woken up in the middle of the night. It's like getting hit really hard in the head, a situation like that is going to peel away your conscious brain and you're going to start running more on instinct than sound logic.

I can understand different laws for workplaces and the home. But sans leaving booby traps around the house, I think a person should be able to exercise whatever force the need to protect their home and family.

On the other hand we really have not much recourse for self defence. We are expected to abandon our home to Home invaders and gather your family and run for it rather than defend yourselves lethally.

What do you guys think of the Canadian model.

I think it sucks.

Seems to me if cops could use lethal force to prevent someone from stealing something out of the police station then homeowners should have that same option when protecting their own valuables. So unless the cops also have to abandon ship so as not to hurt some criminal it sounds like bullshit.

TS, you've actually got it wrong. Self defense is perfectly legal in Canada, including the use of firearms, as long as you use 'reasonable' force.

Here's an article on it. They freely admit that the use of a firearm will almost certainly get you charged, but chances are excellent that you will get off. Of course you will be much poorer afterwards.

https://www.ammoland.com/2016/03/canadian-self-defense-law-three-things-you-absolutely-must-know/

Here, from the Criminal Code of Canada Section 34, is the self-defense provision in view:

34 (1) A person is not guilty of an offence if
(a) they believe on reasonable grounds that force is being used against them or another person or that a threat of force is being made against them or another person;
(b) the act that constitutes the offence is committed for the purpose of defending or protecting themselves or the other person from that use or threat of force; and
(c) the act committed is reasonable in the circumstances.

I'm not sure I'd leave the interpretation of "reasonable" in the hands of a Canadian jury. Canadians popularized full-denim outfits. Theres nothing reasonable about them.

Minimum necessary force is the law in Canada ie I can shoot you but only if I really need to.

Back