Here's how different boxing gyms can be...

Let's stay on topic, lads – boxing gyms.

Over the last 16-18 months I’ve put a lot of effort into visiting different gyms and trainers purely as a coach to see how they run their programs, private lessons, fitness clients, fight teams, etc. the only universal truth I’ve found is the gyms/coaches who take a systematic approach to the sport have the best results. The systems and methodology are all different, but the successful coaches have a structure in place that they use to build up their fighters.

Over the last 16-18 months I’ve put a lot of effort into visiting different gyms and trainers purely as a coach to see how they run their programs, private lessons, fitness clients, fight teams, etc. the only universal truth I’ve found is the gyms/coaches who take a systematic approach to the sport have the best results. The systems and methodology are all different, but the successful coaches have a structure in place that they use to build up their fighters.

Oh, you're one of those guys who think gyms determine how good the fighters are? Anthony Pettis came from ATA TaeKwonDo and beat up everybody at Dick Rofus Academy. Gym hasn't got shit to do with whether you got good fighters or not.

Oh, you're one of those guys who think gyms determine how good the fighters are? Anthony Pettis came from ATA TaeKwonDo and beat up everybody at Dick Rofus Academy. Gym hasn't got shit to do with whether you got good fighters or not.
That must be why world champions get coached by and train with a bunch of randos they just pick off the street, instead of getting people with proven track records in the sport. Do you even think before you post?

That must be why world champions get coached by and train with a bunch of randos they just pick off the street, instead of getting people with proven track records in the sport. Do you even think before you post?

That's precisely why they are attractive to famous coaches. At the level between the elites, the smallest of margins can make a difference, including psychological.

And if a coach sees a major talent, you can bet your ass he wants a hold of him

Coaches build, mold, grow, and sustain fighters.

Change my mind.

Oh look, spacetime trying to rationalize his belief that he's hot shit despite the fact that his training is lackluster.

Again.

Never would have thought that'd happen.

Change my mind.

Alright. The toughest MOFO I have ever boxed came from a Taekwondo/WAKO Kickboxing background. He did ITF TaeKwondo minus the katas in his home country of Serbia. No clinch, no low kicks. He tagged me clean twice, which is only the 5th or 6th time in 3 years of sparring that I have gotten caught clean. I tagged him too but this guy could fight!

That guy would rape the boxers in both my gyms. They weren't even close to his explosiveness and evasiveness. And he isn't even a boxer, just talented.

Alright. The toughest MOFO I have ever boxed came from a Taekwondo/WAKO Kickboxing background. He did ITF TaeKwondo minus the katas in his home country of Serbia. No clinch, no low kicks. He tagged me clean twice, which is only the 5th or 6th time in 3 years of sparring that I have gotten caught clean. I tagged him too but this guy could fight!

That guy would rape the boxers in both my gyms. They weren't even close to his explosiveness and evasiveness. And he isn't even a boxer, just talented.
he was a trained fighter that coaches put time and energy into.

he was a trained fighter that coaches put time and energy into.

You can't train somebody to be a good fighter. He got those fast twitch muscle fibers that you are born with. His movement was not unique, he was just a lot more explosive.

You can't train somebody to be a good fighter. He got those fast twitch muscle fibers that you are born with. His movement was not unique, he was just a lot more explosive.
so how does someone without a coach learn to fight?

Apparently boxing gyms and trainers have been the longest running scams in history.

so how does someone without a coach learn to fight?

They don't. Even if you have Floyd Mayweather jr tell a bad fighter everything he knows about boxing, it won't magically make the fighter good.

They don't. Even if you have Floyd Mayweather jr tell a bad fighter everything he knows about boxing, it won't magically make the fighter good.
so someone without a coach can’t learn to fight. But Coaches don’t build, mold, grow or sustain fighters.

Dafuq?

so someone without a coach can’t learn to fight. But Coaches don’t build, mold, grow or sustain fighters.

Dafuq?
what i have learned from this thread is that coaches just stock buffets for the genetically superior (spacetime is a prime example) to gorge.

what i have learned from this thread is that coaches just stock buffets for the genetically superior (spacetime is a prime example) to gorge.
As an assistant coach and budding young trainer I’ve waisted years of my life and thousands of dollars traveling and learning.

Back