Herniated Disk -- Do they ever Heal?

Changed my life after almost a year of constant, debilitating lower back pain:

http://www.amazon.com/Foundation-Re...TF8&qid=1365184374&sr=8-2&keywords=foundation

Now my back feels powerful and I have no pain. I can bend over, pick up things easily without worry of hurting my back, whereas before I had trouble picking up my kid who is not even a year old yet. Anytime I have a tiny flare-up of back pain, I do the exercises in this book and the pain goes away.

After doing this book, I've realized I've had unhealthy patterns of movement for decades which attributed to degeneration in my back; now I don't do that anymore.

Check out the book, you have nothing to lose. BTW, I'm not in anyway affiliated with this book; just telling you my experience.

Hey guys,

I wanted to post an update about my neck and something which can help others with their neck issues. Some of you may remember me saying how the most important thing I did, and what helped more than anything else for my neck was sleeping properly. I've tried maybe a dozen pillows and sleeping arrangements since I hurt my neck, including different memory foam pillows, bead pillows, cervical rolls, rolled up towels, etc.

However, even though there were some improvements (most of all with a firm memory foam pillow) I still woke up on an almost nightly basis with numbness in my hands. This was NOT the numbness you get from sleeping on your arm but a numbness due to an impinged nerve.

Anyway, I recently (maybe 2 months now) got this buckwheat pillow: http://www.amazon.com/Buckwheat-Pillow-Made-USA-ComfySleep/dp/B006O8EJ68/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1365170960&sr=8-7&keywords=buckwheat+pillow

I was skeptical at first, and its a pretty small pillow, but I never wake up with numbness anymore - seriously, I can't remember the last time I woke up with numb hands since I got this pillow. Its pricey for a pillow, but I recommend anyone with neck problems to look into it. There are other version too but you can see by the number of 5 star reviews how well received this one in.

A couple of notes - the pillow is smaller than a normal pillow and takes some getting used to, but eventually it won't make a difference.

More importantly, as you can see if you read the reviews, when you first get the pillow it could be too hard or too full for you. The first 2 nights I didn't like it at all. I opened the pillow and took out 1-1.5 cups of the buckwheat shells (not much, just enough to not be so tightly packed) and the pillow became perfect.

Some people complain the pillow is "noisy" but that never really bothered me. Also, another plus is that it stays very cool.

Just thought I'd help my F12 brethren with neck issues.

I just ordered this pillow. I hope it helps.

I just ordered this pillow. I hope it helps.

I hope so too! PM me with any questions or if you have trouble with it. Good thing is that returns are pretty easy on amazon in case you don't like it.

It's been a godsend for me.

I hope so too! PM me with any questions or if you have trouble with it. Good thing is that returns are pretty easy on amazon in case you don't like it.

It's been a godsend for me.

Is there any reason why you chose this particular pillow as opposed to some of the cheaper buckwheat pillows on amazon?

Like http://www.amazon.com/Buckwheat-Pillow-Organic-Premium-Queen/dp/B007MI2L1Y/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1365655352&sr=1-2&keywords=buckwheat+pillow

Is the more expensive one any better?

Is there any reason why you chose this particular pillow as opposed to some of the cheaper buckwheat pillows on amazon?

Like http://www.amazon.com/Buckwheat-Pillow-Organic-Premium-Queen/dp/B007MI2L1Y/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1365655352&sr=1-2&keywords=buckwheat+pillow

Is the more expensive one any better?

100% based on the reviews. I buy a LOT of stuff on amazon, and generally if something has less than 4 stars I tend to stay away. I compared the different pillows and brands and read through a ton of reviews.

The one I linked has nearly 5 stars with over 70 reviews. That's not easy and it demonstrates quality and consistency. Plus its made in the US, as an added bonus.

plus, the difference was less than $20 so i figured I'd go for the best reviewed one. I don't regret it at all.

I had them in the the two lowest ones from football in college, had bad sciatica and pain down my right leg all the time. I was about 235 i am 6 foot, and i was like a brick...

Started training bjj, im down to about 220, but the flexibility in my back, hamstrings and hips really helped out a lot.

The biggest problem was lifting heavy, sleeping on my back, and probably sitting on a big ass wallet my whole life.

Basically, it will be a bit sore some mornings, but outside of that, it is very minor. I used to not be able to sit or stand for periods of more than 5-10 minutes, now I don't even think about it at all other than the minor soreness some mornings.

Definitely stretch, everything around it daily, and make sure your body is balanced (lifting all muscle groups), and you can definitely have full quality of life.

For upper back im sure your neck may have stuff to do with it, or tightness in your back, but I think its really important to be smart too...like dont do heavy squatting or lifts over your head, etc...

Bringing back this thread has cursed me:eek:

I've had serve neck pain (more than normal) as of late. The MRI yesterday confirm yet another herniated disc in my neck. So, another surgery, number three. I will now have three pieces of titanium in my neck.

I hope to be back on the mat in August. Last time I came back too soon. Surgery is the only way to fix the pain -IMO

I did lose some mobility after the second surgery , but the acute pain went away. Worst than the pain will be hearing my wife repeating "SEE!"

Hi everyone, glad to see that this thread is still alive.

Just an update for me, I've been recommended either a C5-C6 anterior cervical disc fusion or a laminectomy + foraminotomy.

At this point I'm leaning towards the ACDF since I've been told by a few others that laminectomy is rather aggressive for my condition.

Since I have some denervation down my left arm (for about 1.5-2 years now) and slight atrophy of my deltoid, bicep, and forearm, I am doing my best to stay optimistic about recovering full muscle function.

I did have one neurosurgeon straight up tell me that I shouldn't get surgery since I will never recover my atrophied muscles and that the other surgeons were "blowing sunshine up my ass." Ran away from that guy pretty quickly after that.

I've been off the mats for a little over a year now. It is killing me to not be able to do BJJ but I have been doing my best to do body weight exercises to maintain some semblance of fitness and to pre-hab myself for the surgery. Watching videos and reading internet posts/books just isn't cutting it. I silently shed a tear every time I see my gis hanging up in my closet ...

By the time my surgery and recovery is done it will be early 2014, nearly 2 years off the mats for me. I'll be back, though!

Just an update for me, I've been recommended either a C5-C6 anterior cervical disc fusion or a laminectomy + foraminotomy.

At this point I'm leaning towards the ACDF since I've been told by a few others that laminectomy is rather aggressive for my condition.

Since I have some denervation down my left arm (for about 1.5-2 years now) and slight atrophy of my deltoid, bicep, and forearm, I am doing my best to stay optimistic about recovering full muscle function.

I did have one neurosurgeon straight up tell me that I shouldn't get surgery since I will never recover my atrophied muscles and that the other surgeons were "blowing sunshine up my ass." Ran away from that guy pretty quickly after that.

I've been off the mats for a little over a year now. It is killing me to not be able to do BJJ but I have been doing my best to do body weight exercises to maintain some semblance of fitness and to pre-hab myself for the surgery. Watching videos and reading internet posts/books just isn't cutting it. I silently shed a tear every time I see my gis hanging up in my closet ...

By the time my surgery and recovery is done it will be early 2014, nearly 2 years off the mats for me. I'll be back, though!

Read John Sarno books and listen to the power with out pills podcast. Back surgery is rarely needed dont do it!

Read John Sarno books and listen to the power with out pills podcast. Back surgery is rarely needed dont do it!

Thanks, I have looked into Sarno and all other non-surgical methods.

I've been dealing with this for almost 5 years now, and there is a definite mechanical issue (disc hitting my nerve, muscle atrophy) that can't simply be fixed with "mind over matter" and postural correction, unfortunately.

did he give you a reason why you won't recover your atrophied muscles post surgery?

Jesus Christ. A lot of guys with seriously fucked up injuries on here. Did I read correctly that one of you guy's arm nerve died? How the he'll did you recover from that? Sounds awful. I thought I had it bad with my torn meniscus injury in my knee. I have been having a problem with my lower back recently. After reading this thread I'll be sure to see a professional before I seriously fuck myself

Jesus Christ. A lot of guys with seriously fucked up injuries on here. Did I read correctly that one of you guy's arm nerve died? How the he'll did you recover from that? Sounds awful. I thought I had it bad with my torn meniscus injury in my knee. I have been having a problem with my lower back recently. After reading this thread I'll be sure to see a professional before I seriously fuck myself

It's really scary how badly you can get hurt and I imagine most people don't realize it or comprehend it unless they go through it. Getting a herniated disc where there is nerve impingement causing pain and lack of muscle response, which can lead to atrophy, is frightening. In my case the pain was simply unbearable. No amount of meditation could have helped me avoid taking medicine. Luckily I haven't required surgery but overall I wish there was more awareness of how easily one can get seriously injured and instructors were more insistent about newer people not doing neck cranks, heel hooks, etc.

Have any of you guys tried inversion table therapy? About three months ago I was diagnosed with a bulging disc that was causing sciatica. I recently purchased an inversion table after doing a little research in the internet. After hanging I get a good amount of relief from the sciatic pain for a few hours but im not sure of its assisting the healing process or just giving me temporary relief. Anybody tried inversion table therapy for bulging discs?

Another update... scheduled for surgery in August, approximately 6 month recovery, hopefully start training again by Spring of 2014. By then it would've been nearly 2 years off the mats for me.

Turns out I have pretty severe stenosis in my neck (narrowing of the spinal canal). Less than half the diameter of a "normal" canal, so any disc issues immediately introduce a mechanical issue since I have no buffer room. This is why you constantly hear "most people have herniated/bulged discs" -- this is true, but most people also have some buffer room built into their spine that allows those discs to protrude without causing any problems.

Anyway, verified with multiple nerve conduction studies, etc., there is definitely a blockage of the nerve going down my left arm, which is why I have bicep/forearm muscle atrophy, weakness, spasms, etc.

I'm going in for what is referred to as "spinal decompression", but more specifically a laminotomy and foraminotomy. The surgeon will be cutting open the lamina on the back of my vertebrae (the bony part that covers the spinal cord) and opening it up kind of like door, then keeping it open with metal braces. Then he's going in to clear out the bone spurs that have formed in the foramen (the opening of the spine where the nerve exits to my arm) so that the nerve is no longer impinged.

The crappy thing is that the doc is recommending that I not return to BJJ. Now I know that it is kind of a CYA move on his part, but he stated that with the stenosis in the neck there could be chance of paralysis given a freak accident. His words: "If you were a high school football player with this condition, you would definitely not be able to play college ball. If you were my little brother, I'd tell you to give up BJJ and find another sport."

Basically, any severe flexion of my neck through sudden trauma could have my spinal cord impinged upon due to the narrowing of the canal.

Obviously the risk issue is mine to take up, and I've already adapted my game heavily to protect my neck, but that kind of stuff scares the heck out of me.

Sucks because I just moved to NYC and was looking forward to training at Marcelo Garcia's gym... even stopped in just to check it out. Probably shouldn't have since it got me all pumped up :p

Surgery schedule for mid August. I'll come back here and let everyone know how it goes. They will be cutting into my neck from the back. Overnight stay in hospital, 2 weeks with a soft collar, then very light cardio to promote healing and PT focused on forearm/bicep strength through month 3. Then general PT for arm/shoulder girdle/neck/back strength and muscle firing (the atrophy caused some other muscles to pick up the slack, so I have to retrain that) through month 6. Follow up in month 6, if everything has healed correctly then I will get the all clear to go 100%, basically doing whatever (weights, sports, etc.)... with the recommendation against BJJ, but I may come back to it very slowly and see how it goes.

The thought of no longer doing BJJ makes me very sad, but long term health is way more important at this point.

Great to see you're in good spirits and I wish you a speedy recovery. Sorry to hear you won't be able to train anymore but clearly you're making the right decision. Your health, especially risking paralysis, just isn't worth it. Hope you're doing well.

I just found out I have a herniated L4-L5. It took me so long to finally get over my neck injury and now I wake up on Tuesday with the most pain I've ever felt in my life. Very depressing and really stressed about this now.

I was taking a break from training too so I have no idea what actually triggered it.

Another update... scheduled for surgery in August, approximately 6 month recovery, hopefully start training again by Spring of 2014. By then it would've been nearly 2 years off the mats for me.

Turns out I have pretty severe stenosis in my neck (narrowing of the spinal canal). Less than half the diameter of a "normal" canal, so any disc issues immediately introduce a mechanical issue since I have no buffer room. This is why you constantly hear "most people have herniated/bulged discs" -- this is true, but most people also have some buffer room built into their spine that allows those discs to protrude without causing any problems.

Anyway, verified with multiple nerve conduction studies, etc., there is definitely a blockage of the nerve going down my left arm, which is why I have bicep/forearm muscle atrophy, weakness, spasms, etc.

I'm going in for what is referred to as "spinal decompression", but more specifically a laminotomy and foraminotomy. The surgeon will be cutting open the lamina on the back of my vertebrae (the bony part that covers the spinal cord) and opening it up kind of like door, then keeping it open with metal braces. Then he's going in to clear out the bone spurs that have formed in the foramen (the opening of the spine where the nerve exits to my arm) so that the nerve is no longer impinged.

The crappy thing is that the doc is recommending that I not return to BJJ. Now I know that it is kind of a CYA move on his part, but he stated that with the stenosis in the neck there could be chance of paralysis given a freak accident. His words: "If you were a high school football player with this condition, you would definitely not be able to play college ball. If you were my little brother, I'd tell you to give up BJJ and find another sport."

Basically, any severe flexion of my neck through sudden trauma could have my spinal cord impinged upon due to the narrowing of the canal.

Obviously the risk issue is mine to take up, and I've already adapted my game heavily to protect my neck, but that kind of stuff scares the heck out of me.

Sucks because I just moved to NYC and was looking forward to training at Marcelo Garcia's gym... even stopped in just to check it out. Probably shouldn't have since it got me all pumped up :p

Surgery schedule for mid August. I'll come back here and let everyone know how it goes. They will be cutting into my neck from the back. Overnight stay in hospital, 2 weeks with a soft collar, then very light cardio to promote healing and PT focused on forearm/bicep strength through month 3. Then general PT for arm/shoulder girdle/neck/back strength and muscle firing (the atrophy caused some other muscles to pick up the slack, so I have to retrain that) through month 6. Follow up in month 6, if everything has healed correctly then I will get the all clear to go 100%, basically doing whatever (weights, sports, etc.)... with the recommendation against BJJ, but I may come back to it very slowly and see how it goes.

The thought of no longer doing BJJ makes me very sad, but long term health is way more important at this point.

Good luck, what does your MRI report say? I would get a second opinion if I were you, are you doing this surgery to get back to bjj? Have you tried epidurals? How old are you? What is your pain on scale of 1-10?

Back