Hey Grandpa, when did you peak?

Phlog

Sgt Sprinkles
@Gold
Reaction score
When did you start to backslide in strength, agility, recovery?

I'm 39 and tbh I'm subjectively making progress like always, I attribute this to a lucky roll of the dice and only getting into sport and lifting in my 30's.

Having recently hit my goal of 2.5xbw DL and getting some long term injuries under control I'm reflecting on how long I might have left playing my beloved football. I'm planning for another 10 years

{<jordan}

I just turned 38, and I'm in the best shape of my life. I've been active my whole life, too.

For whatever reason, a few years back I had an epiphany where I began to appreciate the value of true fitness, rather than just doing some running and calling it a day. I developed a love/hate relationship with burpees that has brought me to a level that I never thought I'd reach.

I think Strength can still peak for many into their 40's if they train SMART.

Obviously recovery will be more of an issue, so I wouldn't really recommend daily heavy squats at an advanced age. No doubt it would work for some time, but it wouldn't beat optimal.

I'm in my 30's and stronger than ever. I had dabbled with juice about 8 years ago when I had no clue what I was doing.

If I continue lifting for another few years, then I will start steroids properly. I don't want to juice, but the gains are good if you know what you're doing and have a solid foundation.

I feel like my recovery/agility peaked when I was 20. I’m the strongest I’ve ever been right now, my body just can’t recover. Shift work is a son of a bitch.

I feel like my recovery/agility peaked when I was 20. I’m the strongest I’ve ever been right now, my body just can’t recover. Shift work is a son of a bitch.

Quoting for truth, I felt the best I have done in a long, long time once I came off shift work, you kind of muddle through whilst doing shift work and think you feel OK, but you don't realise how tired you were until a couple of months after coming off.

At 33 I still feel pretty good and perform well in my chosen activities. My food choices definitely impact the way my body feels and how restful my sleep is. In my 20's that wasn't such a big deal. I still feel as though I recover well. I think part of it is being consistent and continuing to participate in fitness/sports as you age. You don't always notice yourself slowing down because it's so gradual, especially if you can stave off the injury bug and make some kind of small, incremental improvement year after year.

The people that really notice the shift/change are people that were decently active in their teens and 20's, take years off at a time, and then try to jump back into it on the wrong side of 30 or 40. Reality hits those people hard.

Sharks die if they stop swimming. You gotta be that shark.

Quoting for truth, I felt the best I have done in a long, long time once I came off shift work, you kind of muddle through whilst doing shift work and think you feel OK, but you don't realise how tired you were until a couple of months after coming off.

Only 29 years left until retirement!

I don't feel that I've peaked in strength, but I don't think I'll ever be in as good of shape as I was in my late 20s. I didn't have kids at that point and spent a lot of time on conditioning/gpp. Some weekend days, I'd run in the morning, lift around noon, and do things like burpees or hit the heavy bag in the evening. At this point, I really only have time for lifting.

I am in my early 30s and I feel best shape right now. I have played a lot of soccer in my teens and as a kid, but kind of was inactive then till my late 20s. So at 32 I feel like a machine.

Most of my friends train either at the gym or some kind of a sport and they seem to already look lazy and complaining about it.

I'm 28 and I would maul my 22 years old self. Faster, bigger, stronger, infinitely more technical.

I think it all comes down to pacing your training and training smart.

The #1 factor to progress imo is staying injury free. Anything you do that helps you achieve that will help. Gaining 2% strength per year for 20 years is much better than gaining 5% a year and getting injured for 6 months every 2 years. I know guys in their early 20s who have knee, shoulders, elbow issues, etc. and they basically peaked at 23-24 because of it.

24. I’m a piece of shit now. Marriage, kid, job, etc has taken its toll.

24. I’m a piece of shit now. Marriage, kid, job, etc has taken its toll.

I don't mean to demean, everyones different, but when I was 24 I was hardly even an adult yet!

I don't mean to demean, everyones different, but when I was 24 I was hardly even an adult yet!
I was weaker but in better shape back then. I did CrossFit 4 days a week. I suppose I could always get back into that or similar conditioning training.

I was weaker but in better shape back then. I did CrossFit 4 days a week. I suppose I could always get back into that or similar conditioning training.

Ah my bad, i was half awake and thought you were giving current age. Entirely my fault.

The strength game is a quality one. Agility speed and basically most things that make a man an athlete peak around 30.

I find most lifters can and should get stronger into their 40's. perhaps not elite lifters, because they realise their potential much sooner. However, the vast majority could and should still gain strength if they train smart and hard.

Never do crossfit. Crossfit is the most stupid way to train.

I peaked at about 27 in overall athletic ability. I can still weight lift pretty much the same routine but my quickness, reflexes, agility, speed and endurance all have headed dramatically south. I'm north of 50.

45 here.
Just strength, it was when I was 42, but there are other factors to why my strength went down. I was hitting 5/3/1 hard that year and the previous year, I wasn't training martial arts as much, I had to stop training that way to give my back a break etc.
Cardio.....18 years old. Sucks now
Speed....18 years old. My speed is still better than the vast majority of people

Back