Hey Mozfonky. . . . Here is an all-time Pacific Northwest card

he probably was, but he had some kind of ties to seattle, his sister worked with my best friend at a burger joint too.
Didn't Ray Charles and Quincy Jones both start in Seattle?
I know Quincy did, but you never hear those two really mentioned when people bring up Nirvana and stuff like that.

Didn't Ray Charles and Quincy Jones both start in Seattle?
I know Quincy did, but you never hear those two really mentioned when people bring up Nirvana and stuff like that.
ya, jazz is a different genre, ray came from the south, florida I think, and came to seattle in his teens after his ma died, quincy came from chicago, settled in a small town called bremerton (where my ma was from) and then moved to seattle nearby. quincy gets lots of love here although I stopped being a fan of his awhile ago. he has an auditorium named after him at his old high school which also had jimi hendrix as a student. Ray actually had some balls on him, my stepdad who was black, recalls how when he was young, there were other local musicians that ray wanted to take with him to la but they didn't have the heart so they stayed in the small time.

ya, jazz is a different genre, ray came from the south, florida I think, and came to seattle in his teens after his ma died, quincy came from chicago, settled in a small town called bremerton (where my ma was from) and then moved to seattle nearby. quincy gets lots of love here although I stopped being a fan of his awhile ago. he has an auditorium named after him at his old high school which also had jimi hendrix as a student. Ray actually had some balls on him, my stepdad who was black, recalls how when he was young, there were other local musicians that ray wanted to take with him to la but they didn't have the heart so they stayed in the small time.
I'm pretty sure Quincy, Hendrix, and Sir Mix A Lot all went to Garfield High. Sir Mix mightve went to Roosevelt, cant remember

Sir Mix A Lots, Posse on Broadway is one of the first big songs to come from the Westcoast and have alot of airplay in NYC.
People didn't know that the song was about Seattle not New York

Sir Mix A Lots, Posse on Broadway is one of the first big songs to come from the Westcoast and have alot of airplay in NYC.
People didn't know that the song was about Seattle not New York
ya, he made the classic baby got back, only a couple hits but he seemed to have invested well and done well. there's a great version of baby got back with the seattle symphony on youtube. Mix supposedly got ripped off by Nasty nes rodriquez (a member of my old Kung fu club, but didn't know him well) and the lore is that mix once drove a truck into a local music store and jacked a lot of equipment at the beginning of his career. Seattle isn't much of a real hip hop town in the way we think of hardcore shit, in fact, they look silly trying to look "gangsta" to me. Macklemore did real good too. All in all, much better musicians than boxers came from here.

ya, he made the classic baby got back, only a couple hits but he seemed to have invested well and done well. there's a great version of baby got back with the seattle symphony on youtube. Mix supposedly got ripped off by Nasty nes rodriquez (a member of my old Kung fu club, but didn't know him well) and the lore is that mix once drove a truck into a local music store and jacked a lot of equipment at the beginning of his career. Seattle isn't much of a real hip hop town in the way we think of hardcore shit, in fact, they look silly trying to look "gangsta" to me. Macklemore did real good too. All in all, much better musicians than boxers came from here.
Couldn't stand Macklemore.
Way better rappers from Seattle, but the city doesn't really prop its self up with its hip hop.
They all hate on whoever is bigger than the other

i can't stand rap, so i'm not a good judge on quality but i liked a lot of mack's production, so i guess i could say i like ryan lewis. the songs are good. my best friend wanted to be a hip hop artist and knew the better groups in seattle at the time, some 25 years ago but none of them really made much of a splash, when you think seattle, you don't think anything street, so they usually just come off as posers, whether it's true or not.

Back