Hidehiko Yoshida's legacy

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
I think this guy gets overlooked all the time when people are talking about the legends of the sports. I mean, take a look at Khabib who combines Judo and wrestling as well as anyone. But, if you are really looking at someone who one tricked wrestling into domination, especially someone who had legit world class wrestling resume, literally one tricked his way into success with wrestling, it would have to be Ben Askren, who I think would ragdoll Khabib at welterweight.

I tried Judo but never stuck around with it too long at all, but Judo has always been one of martial arts that I was fond of, similar to boxing. There really never was any boxing gyms around when I was growing up

Nobody one-tricked Judo like Yoshida was able to. There is no one in the history of MMA, who one tricked Judo like Yoshida was able to, and his throws were thing of a beauty. Someone always mention Ronda, but I mean, who really cares about female athletes when talking about greatness in other sports? Never in my life I've seen that in any other sports, till WMMA became a thing, which I think is ridiculous, and Yoshida's Judo accomplishment make Ronda's look like that of a child anyway, and that of Karo Parysian a special olympic athlete's.

I feel like no one really blended wrestling and Judo to dominate like Khabib does. Whether it's to a great deal a credit to Sambo, it's up to a debate I suppose, and no one really dominated with wrestling like Askren did, and same can be said of Yoshida.

This guy had a legendary grappling match with Royce, in which in all fairness Yoshida should have been rewarded a victory, went toe to toe with Wanderlei Silva in his peak prime, fought OWGP Crocop, and fought and got suplexed more than once by Josh Barnett in Japan, whatever he may have been on, beat Mark Hunt, when this guy has a Judo olympic gold medal at fricking 170 pounds.

You know, in this day and age, complete scrubs like Matt Serra is going into hall of fame, and gets called a legend, I mean, no offense to Matt Serra, but that's the truth, but real legends like Hidehiko Yoshida gets overlooked. He doesn't have the best record out there, but he fought top heavyweights and arguablly the best light heavyweight at that point in time, when this guy competed at welterweights in Judo, while literally having shit striking and showing how strong his choice of martial arts could be, and having an epic grappling victory, in my book anyways, against Gracies and make them butthurt once again, which is always a pleasure to see.

Khabib one tricks wrestling/Judo as well as anyone but Ben Askren would make Khabib look like Conor in a wrestling match, just like Yoshida would in a Judo match. There's one of the biggest fight of all time coming up between two one-tricks in Conor and Khabib, and let's not forget to give some respect to a real legend like Yoshida once a while, the best Judo one trick of all time.

Last edited:
As Chael P. Sonnen said, Yoshida's greatest legacy was show the world how much judo sucks compared to wrestling as a grappling base. The greatest evidence that WMMA's talent was a joke was that a judo bronze medalist was able to stand atop the BW division for so long.

As Chael P. Sonnen said, Yoshida's greatest legacy was show the world how much judo sucks compared to wrestling as a grappling base. The greatest evidence that WMMA's talent was a joke was that a judo bronze medalist was able to stand atop the BW division for so long.

can't care less about what a felon has to say about anything

his legacy was wearing a Gi in the grand prix

Yoshida is one of those guys who could have done a lot better in MMA if he had started earlier. Still, given how much wear and tear he had on him, he did pretty well. He put up surprisingly good fights against Wanderlei and had some decent wins.

can't care less about what a felon has to say about anything
Wow dude, Chael P. Sonnen did his time and is now once again a productive member of society.

I fucking hate Yoshida for that bullshit stop in the Gracie grappling match, but he was a legit grappler.

I think this guy gets overlooked all the time when people are talking about the legends of the sports. I mean, take a look at Khabib who combines Judo and wrestling as well as anyone. But, if you are really looking at someone who one tricked wrestling into domination, especially someone who had legit world class wrestling resume, literally one tricked his way into success with wrestling, it would have to be Ben Askren, who I think would ragdoll Khabib at welterweight.

I tried Judo but never stuck around with it too long at all, but Judo has always been one of martial arts that I was fond of, similar to boxing. There really never was any boxing gyms around when I was growing up

Nobody one-tricked Judo like Yoshida was able to. There is no one in the history of MMA, who one tricked Judo like Yoshida was able to, and his throws were thing of a beauty. Someone always mention Ronda, but I mean, who really cares about female athletes when talking about greatness in other sports? Never in my life I've seen that in any other sports, till WMMA became a thing, which I think is ridiculous, and Yoshida's Judo accomplishment make Ronda's look like that of a child anyway, and that of Karo Parysian a special olympic athlete's.

I feel like no one really blended wrestling and Judo to dominate like Khabib does. Whether it's to a great deal a credit to Sambo, it's up to a debate I suppose, and no one really dominated with wrestling like Askren did, and same can be said of Yoshida.

This guy had a legendary grappling match with Royce, in which in all fairness Yoshida should have been rewarded a victory, went toe to toe with Wanderlei Silva in his peak prime, fought OWGP Crocop, and fought and got suplexed more than once by Josh Barnett in Japan, whatever he may have been on, beat Mark Hunt, when this guy has a Judo olympic gold medal at fricking 170 pounds.

You know, in this day and age, complete scrubs like Matt Serra is going into hall of fame, and gets called a legend, I mean, no offense to Matt Serra, but that's the truth, but real legends like Hidehiko Yoshida gets overlooked. He doesn't have the best record out there, but he fought top heavyweights and arguablly the best light heavyweight at that point in time, when this guy competed at welterweights in Judo, while literally having shit striking and showing how strong his choice of martial arts could be, and having an epic grappling victory, in my book anyways, against Gracies and make them butthurt once again, which is always a pleasure to see.

Khabib one tricks wrestling/Judo as well as anyone but Ben Askren would make Khabib look like Conor in a wrestling match, just like Yoshida would in a Judo match. There's one of the biggest fight of all time coming up between two one-tricks in Conor and Khabib, and let's not forget to give some respect to a real legend like Yoshida once a while, the best Judo one trick of all time.
"and having an epic grappling victory, in my book anyways, against Gracies and make them butthurt once again, which is always a pleasure to see."

Someone´s got a beef with them Gracies...

lolol.png

Thread over in first reply.

that gi choke on tamura was sick. one of my all time fav submissions. crowd went nuts

Op you say you have trained Judo, do you know how difficult it is to do Karo's throws w/o a GI? Wearing a GI like yoshida enhances his grip on his opponents due to friction.

I have met a Judo black belt and another amateur MMA fighter who have trained w/ Karo, and one of them said "you can't teach someone how to throw like that, you either have it or you don't."

Besides that, I have to give it to Yoshida for having the heart of a champion.

I’ll tell you this, he surprised the fuck out of us in his fights against Wandy.

Op you say you have trained Judo, do you know how difficult it is to do Karo's throws w/o a GI? Wearing a GI like yoshida enhances his grip on his opponents due to friction.

I have met a Judo black belt and another amateur MMA fighter who have trained w/ Karo, and one of them said "you can't teach someone how to throw like that, you either have it or you don't."

Besides that, I have to give it to Yoshida for having the heart of a champion.

Since when on earth does wearing your own gi enhances your grip on opponents due to friction significantly

plus Yoshida would molest Karo in a straight judo match.

plus I really doubt your 'Judo black belt' fighter was comparing Karo's throws to Yoshida' either

plus Yoshida throws people with or without.

Wrestling vs judo opposition is biased here. MMA is a new sport, essentially practiced in the USA where wrestling is huge. On the contrary americans dont really practice judo that much and TS story about not finding a gym where he can practice is a good example of that. In 10 or 20 years, when MMA will be more global, judo will probably have more impact. Basically its a great base for MMA, not only from the throws aspect but also because of TDD and balance in general. After the gi no gi thing remains an issue when you do the transition but its still a great base. Fedor is another good example of that. After for yoshida, who was basically a judo guy doing MMA, he did good being everything but well rounded.

Wow dude, Chael P. Sonnen did his time and is now once again a productive member of society.

I fucking hate Yoshida for that bullshit stop in the Gracie grappling match, but he was a legit grappler.
BS stop ? Did you want Yoshida to hold the choke until Royce died ?

What does "one tricked" mean ?

BS stop ? Did you want Yoshida to hold the choke until Royce died ?
He didn't have a choke. The arm wasn't even over the neck. It was being blocked. He wouldn't have died. He would have passed out.

Yoshida yelled to the referee that he was out, and the referee stopped it. Royce popped up instantly and protested. You also forget to mention that in the rematch, Royce dominated him.

It was a blatant hometown call, and those kinds of calls were common in Japanese MMA. They even did it to Royler, calling the match when Sakuraba wasn't even cranking the arm. All they while, the let fighters get bludgeoned to death, and their arms broken.

Worked matches were not uncommon in Pride and basically all forms of Japanese sport.

Yoshida was nothing special, but MMA definitely needs more Judo to help change the predictable handful of wrestling take-downs that dominate American MMA.

All most fighters do is push forward, using more energy, and more predictability, instead of changing directions, and giving way more. Even Jon Jones commented on it.

The take-down game in MMA needs some heavy evolution.

The weird thing about wrestling in MMA is that so little wrestling technique is actually used. it's more about picking from a stable of trainable athletes who already have a ground base, and competitive career.

He didn't have a choke. The arm wasn't even over the neck. It was being blocked. He wouldn't have died. He would have passed out.

Yoshida yelled to the referee that he was out, and the referee stopped it. Royce popped up instantly and protested. You also forget to mention that in the rematch, Royce dominated him.

It was a blatant hometown call, and those kinds of calls were common in Japanese MMA. They even did it to Royler, calling the match when Sakuraba wasn't even cranking the arm. All they while, the let fighters get bludgeoned to death, and their arms broken.

Worked matches were not uncommon in Pride and basically all forms of Japanese sport.

Yoshida was nothing special, but MMA definitely needs more Judo to help change the predictable handful of wrestling take-downs that dominate American MMA.

All most fighters do is push forward, using more energy, and more predictability, instead of changing directions, and giving way more. Even Jon Jones commented on it.

The weird thing about wrestling in MMA is that so little wrestling technique is actually used. it's more about picking from a stable of trainable athletes who already have a ground base, and competitive career.
True about the Royce vs Yoshida 1 fight, but I wouldnt go so far as to say that this was "a blatant hometown call,"...

I believe the Ref was bluffed by Yoshida, rookie mistake.

Pride had realistically no interest in double-crossing them Gracies, they still needed them at that point.

About the Royler fight, sure Royler didnt tap, but what a [physical] mismatch... SAKU was forced to take this fight...

Yeah , you're right . I just googled it and watched the choke on YT , Royce was still conscious . That wasn't how I remembered it . I should've checked before before posting .

Wrestling vs judo opposition is biased here. MMA is a new sport, essentially practiced in the USA where wrestling is huge. On the contrary americans dont really practice judo that much and TS story about not finding a gym where he can practice is a good example of that. In 10 or 20 years, when MMA will be more global, judo will probably have more impact. Basically its a great base for MMA, not only from the throws aspect but also because of TDD and balance in general. After the gi no gi thing remains an issue when you do the transition but its still a great base. Fedor is another good example of that. After for yoshida, who was basically a judo guy doing MMA, he did good being everything but well rounded.

10 or 20 years? lmao.

more like 50 years or not at all.

this is a bad era for combat sports and especially for little ones like MMA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back