Hidehiko Yoshida's legacy

As a fighter, he never made it to world rankings but he fought really hard against top foreign fighters that nobody wanted to fight.

Yes, Yoshida made it to the world rankings at those times.

MMA Collective - MMA Ranks.com
November 29, 2004

Heavyweights:
1. Fedor Emelianenko
2. Rodrigo Minotauro Nogueira
3. Mirko Cro Cop Filipovic
4. Josh Barnett
5. Andrei Arlovski
6. Sergei Kharitonov
7. Frank Mir
8. Tim Sylvia
9. Alexander Emelianenko
10. Hidehiko Yoshida

https://web.archive.org/web/20041204071256/http://www.mmaranks.com:80/hw

MMAFighting.net Top 10

February 27, 2006

Heavyweight:

1. Fedor Emelianenko (312 points)
2. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (258 points)
3. Andrei Arlovski (187 points)
4. Mirko Cro Cop (181 points)
5. Sergei Kharitonov (166 points)
6. Mark Hunt (118 points)
7. Aleksander Emelianenko (108 points)
8. Josh Barnett (55 points)
9. Tim Sylvia (44 points)
10. Fabricio Werdum (43 points)
11. Jeff Monson (19 points)
12. Hidehiko Yoshida (7 points)
13. James Thompson (6 points)

https://web.archive.org/web/2006061...ng.com:80/columns/topten/7_february_2006.html

From Cro Cop's Record:
WIN - Hidehiko Yoshida - Jul/1/2006 -- Pride FC - Critical Countdown Absolute
14 HW - 2006 - May 31 - Fighters & Broadcasters Poll - MMAWeekly.com

https://web.archive.org/web/20060615023014/http://www.mmaweekly.com:80/topten.asp

That was when total number of hw MMA fighters in the world was 16.

Back in the days, Pat millitech was ranked 8 in absolute weight.

It's fair to say that it was Ishii's professional debut. He looks pretty clueless in there. Ishii became a way more composed fighter standing and a better wrestler. It would be interesting to see Yoshida vs Ishii both in their primes. I would maybe still pick Yoshida.
Yeah, I remember that when that fight was announced I actually thought that Yoshida was a tough match for Ishii. I thought their judo would likely cancel out, and you'd be left with a striking match. Given that Yoshida had been working his boxing for years, and Ishii was in his debut, I wasn't surprised at the outcome.

In terms of what would happen in a match during their primes, that's harder for me to say. When would we consider Yoshida's prime, in particular in a fight against Ishii? He was already old and banged up when he started MMA, and the things that helped him most against Ishii, such as his boxing, he developed more later on. It also would have been really fun to have seen them both fight with a gi on.

That was when total number of hw MMA fighters in the world was 16.
Not true, at mid 2000-s MMA, especially HW divison was developed enough.
It was so called "golden age" of MMA, specialy at HW and LHW.

Not true, at mid 2000-s MMA, especially HW divison was developed enough.
It was so called "golden age" of MMA, specialy at HW and LHW.

Matt Hughes said HW division was the weakest division of all in 2006. I must believe he was right because defeating mark hunt alone placed a man in top 10 ranking.

Imo, most stacked division in 2006 was LW and WW. Yoshida whose weight when he won gold at Barcelona Olympics was 155, should've found WW his weight class. I think he could make it to top 25 if he cut his weight

I never saw astra I was pissed also I liked when he came out with a the black gi pride and Sengoku should of kept making him wear it gis

Matt Hughes said HW division was the weakest division of all in 2006. I must believe he was right because defeating mark hunt alone placed a man in top 10 ranking.

Imo, most stacked division in 2006 was LW and WW. Yoshida whose weight when he won gold at Barcelona Olympics was 155, should've found WW his weight class. I think he could make it to top 25 if he cut his weight

WW wasn't even a real division back then. Who fights at WW????

Screw Matt Hughes and his stupid haircut.

Yoshida's weight class in Barcelona was actually 78 kg which is 172 lbs.

I think this guy gets overlooked all the time when people are talking about the legends of the sports. I mean, take a look at Khabib who combines Judo and wrestling as well as anyone. But, if you are really looking at someone who one tricked wrestling into domination, especially someone who had legit world class wrestling resume, literally one tricked his way into success with wrestling, it would have to be Ben Askren, who I think would ragdoll Khabib at welterweight.

I tried Judo but never stuck around with it too long at all, but Judo has always been one of martial arts that I was fond of, similar to boxing. There really never was any boxing gyms around when I was growing up

Nobody one-tricked Judo like Yoshida was able to. There is no one in the history of MMA, who one tricked Judo like Yoshida was able to, and his throws were thing of a beauty. Someone always mention Ronda, but I mean, who really cares about female athletes when talking about greatness in other sports? Never in my life I've seen that in any other sports, till WMMA became a thing, which I think is ridiculous, and Yoshida's Judo accomplishment make Ronda's look like that of a child anyway, and that of Karo Parysian a special olympic athlete's.

I feel like no one really blended wrestling and Judo to dominate like Khabib does. Whether it's to a great deal a credit to Sambo, it's up to a debate I suppose, and no one really dominated with wrestling like Askren did, and same can be said of Yoshida.

This guy had a legendary grappling match with Royce, in which in all fairness Yoshida should have been rewarded a victory, went toe to toe with Wanderlei Silva in his peak prime, fought OWGP Crocop, and fought and got suplexed more than once by Josh Barnett in Japan, whatever he may have been on, beat Mark Hunt, when this guy has a Judo olympic gold medal at fricking 170 pounds.

You know, in this day and age, complete scrubs like Matt Serra is going into hall of fame, and gets called a legend, I mean, no offense to Matt Serra, but that's the truth, but real legends like Hidehiko Yoshida gets overlooked. He doesn't have the best record out there, but he fought top heavyweights and arguablly the best light heavyweight at that point in time, when this guy competed at welterweights in Judo, while literally having shit striking and showing how strong his choice of martial arts could be, and having an epic grappling victory, in my book anyways, against Gracies and make them butthurt once again, which is always a pleasure to see.

Khabib one tricks wrestling/Judo as well as anyone but Ben Askren would make Khabib look like Conor in a wrestling match, just like Yoshida would in a Judo match. There's one of the biggest fight of all time coming up between two one-tricks in Conor and Khabib, and let's not forget to give some respect to a real legend like Yoshida once a while, the best Judo one trick of all time.

I mean talk about comp level but she managed to wreck chicks in under a minute that KNEW what was coming.

That being said yes, Yoshida was awesome.

Yoshida was and is awesome.

Best uchi-mata in judo, in his day.

Balls of steel and heart of a lion.

Remember when he head kicked tank abbot and then submitted him? Badass

Yoshida was and is awesome.

Best uchi-mata in judo, in his day.

Balls of steel and heart of a lion.

Remember when he head kicked tank abbot and then submitted him? Badass

I loved his O-uchi against Don Frye. He got in so fast and smashed him with that.......Then took his arm later in the fight.

On a sidenote,, his decision to fight Nakamura, his student, for his last fight came as a surprise for me...

Since when on earth does wearing your own gi enhances your grip on opponents due to friction significantly

plus Yoshida would molest Karo in a straight judo match.

plus I really doubt your 'Judo black belt' fighter was comparing Karo's throws to Yoshida' either

plus Yoshida throws people with or without.
Wearing a gi is going to provide you a lot more grip and control over a shirtless opponent because it covers your entire body. Its not 2 shirtless, sweaty, guys grappling. Its pretty obvious. Obviously you wont have the benefit of hand grips against a shirtless opponent but wearing a gi is a huge plus when trying to apply judo.

How good do you think is Fedors Judo compared to Yoshida

Obviously Fedors a tier below but Fedor competed at heavyweight and Yoshida between 78 to 90 kg. And two guys in his weight class was absolute world class.

Funny thing is Fedor try to paint himself as non judo but Sambo guy.

The other guys sumed it up. I have never seen fedor in a strictly judo competition though, he stopped competing early whereas yoshida got it all becoming Olympic champ. But one thing always caught me about fedor, he appeared to me as the first with Gsp to mix everything very well. He was way ahead of his time and its probably why he did not evolve after the pride era.

The other guys sumed it up. I have never seen fedor in a strictly judo competition though, he stopped competing early whereas yoshida got it all becoming Olympic champ. But one thing always caught me about fedor, he appeared to me as the first with Gsp to mix everything very well. He was way ahead of his time and its probably why he did not evolve after the pride era.
He certainly got sloppy post pride but he still kicked ass post pride and was top hw for 4 years after pride folded

Back