High Schools cutting football teams

Why are we supposed to be surprised by this? We're finding out football is about the last sport we want to focus our fragile developing minds on.

For a school to have that many students and to pull those numbers is sad though, speaking as a rural Texan. We had 17 boys in my class, and 15 of us made up the football team with the other two as managers. Broke my growth plate my last year though and our team was down to 12 players for a game or two.

I have no kids, but if I do, they ain't playing football.

I have no kids, but if I do, they ain't playing football.

Football is my favorite sport and I played as a kid but I'm in total agreement with you.

I religiously follow Stanford football now and I know that at some point (probably sooner than later) they are going to kill of the football program. It's gonna happen.

I didn't realise that people felt this way about american football over there...naturally we also hear stuff about concussion and the dangers of head injuries in rugby, but I can't imagine hearing people saying that they would not let their kids play, or that schools would start cutting rugby. I guess american football is probably worse for head trauma, but even so.

Football is no joke. So it's no surprise they are shutting down programs.

Last edited:
Don't blame you. My son will play baseball. Already starting on it a little bit. He likes it.

If we have kids, they'll be exposed to a bunch of sports and can choose for themselves. But yeah, baseball and basketball will be what i teach them first.

Football is my favorite sport and I played as a kid but I'm in total agreement with you.

I religiously follow Stanford football now and I know that at some point (probably sooner than later) they are going to kill of the football program. It's gonna happen.

Yeah I played for a few years in junior high and freshman year. Then transferred to a school that didn't have football. I enjoyed it and still like watching, but it's not worth it.

I didn't realise that people felt this way about american football over there...naturally we also hear stuff about concussion and the dangers of head injuries in rugby, but I can't imagine hearing people saying that they would not let their kids play, or that schools would start cutting rugby. I guess american football is probably worse for head trauma, but even so.

I played rugby in college as a club sport (only twice a week practices and games on Saturdays). I'd be less apprehensive about my kid playing rugby (when they're a little older, which is feasible because in the states it's really not an option until that age anyway). You get your bell rung once in a while, but it's not remotely the same as using your head to cause collisions on the regular like in football.

If we have kids, they'll be exposed to a bunch of sports and can choose for themselves. But yeah, baseball and basketball

Well he has a football, a basketball, and a bat/glove. He wants to swing the bat 90% of the time. So i just try to help him

Last edited:
Well he has a football, a basketball, and a bat/glove. He wants to swing the bat 90% of the time. So i just try to help him
Nice. Rereading what I said, I hope I didn't come off like I was critiquing. Lol. My point was supposed to be just that only head trauma sports are off limits but it got cut into multi posts and I think I forgot to add something in there. My bad if any offense taken.

They should just do away with HS sports, if not our current school system. It be best to just scrap the whole thing and go private. But in the meantime, the more stuff they scrap the better.

Why put even something like sports in the hands of the public school system, or whatever school system is in place? School is for one thing. If you want to play something, you should have to go somewhere else.

Nice. Rereading what I said, I hope I didn't come off like I was critiquing. Lol. My point was supposed to be just that only head trauma sports are off limits but it got cut into multi posts and I think I forgot to add something in there. My bad if any offense taken.

All is good. No offense taken. It could have come off as im forcing him to play baseball as well. I am glad he is more interested in baseball than the others.

Rugby = wrap your arms around an opposing player and take him down to not unlike a wrestling takedown.

American football = launch yourself like a human missile at an opposing player and hope for the best.

I wonder if the large amount of equipment in football creates a false sense of protection.... And leads to more concusions.

Oddly enough my high school which had a team in the late 70s but not when I went there in the 90s is reviving their football program next year.

Rugby = wrap your arms around an opposing player and take him down to not unlike a wrestling takedown.

American football = launch yourself like a human missile at an opposing player and hope for the best.

I wonder if the large amount of equipment in football creates a false sense of protection.... And leads to more concusions.

I'm sure the equipment factors into it. I don't like to wear a helmet riding a motorcycle because I tend to drive too fast when I do.

As far as high school football being cut, the equipment is expensive. Much cheaper to field a diveball team. Some schools do it in response to failed referendums because communities would support football.

The helmet and pads are absolutely what makes football players able to launch themselves like missiles.

Without it, the speed of clashes and tackles would be at rugby-level.

If that recent study's results are replicated they might have to do away with football programs.
But if they won't stop selling us tobacco why would they do something this sensible

Oddly enough my high school which had a team in the late 70s but not when I went there in the 90s is reviving their football program next year.
remember the high school sports lockout in Ontario WLu? happened in my senior year (2007) a good percentage of dudes dropped out to try out for semi pro canadian teams. its being brought back (for good reason) sports hurt, football hurts, its a mans game.

I think the solution is to limit tackling and full contact blocking in practice to 1 day a week during training camp & the season, no tackling at all in spring or summer. The other days of the week would be limited to wrap ups.

And no tackling at all before HS.

Only way to save the game. Otherwise it'll be pushed out by pussies.

Back