High Schools cutting football teams

If there is boxing around, I dont see football not being around anymore. Just maybe not in schools. They can still play on their own time. But then again who will maintain, and build the football fields? OR they can convert them to soccer and track use.

If there is boxing around, I dont see football not being around anymore. Just maybe not in schools. They can still play on their own time. But then again who will maintain, and build the football fields? OR they can convert them to soccer and track use.

Boxing isn't a school sport.

I wonder if football in the future will go the route of boxing: It will be organized within the community (or a gym) outside of the school environment.

The helmet and pads are absolutely what makes football players able to launch themselves like missiles.

Without it, the speed of clashes and tackles would be at rugby-level.

I'm not so sure, I don't think NFL is way tougher or more physical than rugby or anything, far from it, but there are just aspects inherent in american football that make concussions more likely...like the fact that you are more likely to get blind-sided, or tackled in the air etc.

I made a post about this a while ago - http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/127649331/

I'm not so sure, I don't think NFL is way tougher or more physical than rugby or anything, far from it, but there are just aspects inherent in american football that make concussions more likely...like the fact that you are more likely to get blind-sided, or tackled in the air etc.

I made a post about this a while ago - http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/127649331/

the NFL is much more physical than Rugby. The violent impacts are incomparable. Rugby doesn't allow all of the dumb dangerous stuff the NFL is centered around. They are trying to weed out the dangerous stuff. It wasn't that long ago that guys would launch full gas head first for helmet to helmet collisions, or a forearm to the chin -- at full speed.

I wonder if football in the future will go the route of boxing: It will be organized within the community (or a gym) outside of the school environment.

I don't think it'll ever leave the school environment. Too much history wrapped up there.

But it'll be like boxing in that it'll attract mostly working-class and lower-middle class kids. Middle-class parents with the knowledge of the harm and with college aspirations for their kids will likely keep away.

Well, "tough" and "physical" can mean a lot of things. It can be argued that rugby is tougher because you have to deal with exhaustion a lot more.

But football is certainly more dangerous. Aside from the things that dope cited, the stop-and-go nature of the game makes it faster and more violent. In rugby, players are constantly running so they can't possibly have the energy to go all-out on every play.

In football there's constant stopping, regrouping and substitutions so every single play has guys that are relatively fresh completely wailing on each other. There's a reason the season only lasts about 4 months. And by that last month half the team is injured.

I don't think it'll ever leave the school environment. Too much history wrapped up there.

But it'll be like boxing in that it'll attract mostly working-class and lower-middle class kids. Middle-class parents with the knowledge of the harm and with college aspirations for their kids will likely keep away.

As long as there are football scholarships for college, there will be high school kids playing and their parents signing them up.

Well, "tough" and "physical" can mean a lot of things. It can be argued that rugby is tougher because you have to deal with exhaustion a lot more.

But football is certainly more dangerous. Aside from the things that dope cited, the stop-and-go nature of the game makes it faster and more violent. In rugby, players are constantly running so they can't possibly have the energy to go all-out on every play.

In football there's constant stopping, regrouping and substitutions so every single play has guys that are relatively fresh completely wailing on each other. There's a reason the season only lasts about 4 months. And by that last month half the team is injured.

Well yes I generally agree, I mentioned a lot of these things already in the post I linked and said that football was definitely more purely violent than rugby.

1850_2014_09_29.jpg

As long as there are football scholarships for college, there will be high school kids playing and their parents signing them up.

Agreed. I should have added, "parents with college expectations and the economic means to pay for it will largely keep their kids away"

More American pussification and sensationalism.

I am a member of a couple wrestling pages on FB. One for wrestlers and one for coaches.

There have been quite a bit of chatter about shrinking numbers on wrestling teams across the country this year.

Are other sports feeling the change or just the contact sports?

I am a member of a couple wrestling pages on FB. One for wrestlers and one for coaches.

There have been quite a bit of chatter about shrinking numbers on wrestling teams across the country this year.

Are other sports feeling the change or just the contact sports?

LOL why you necro this?

I believe wrestling was dying out even before the whole FB concussion scare with Seau blowing his brains out. I remember colleges were dropping wrestling left and right.

LOL why you necro this?

I believe wrestling was dying out even before the whole FB concussion scare with Seau blowing his brains out. I remember colleges were dropping wrestling left and right.

At the DI level, the sport has been dying.

However, at the youth level, wrestling has becoming more and more popular.

But, now the trend has reversed. So much so that quite a few wrestling websites have commented on the dwindling numbers....quite recently.

I wanted to know if anyone has first hand experience in this.

On the same lines, have people noticed a drop in youth sports in general in the past couple of years?

Football is my favorite sport and I played as a kid but I'm in total agreement with you.

I religiously follow Stanford football now and I know that at some point (probably sooner than later) they are going to kill of the football program. It's gonna happen.

Money talks. And that's a huge profit margin to just dismiss.

Money talks. And that's a huge profit margin to just dismiss.

Not at Stanford. When I was there they still played at the old Stanford stadium which had 78,000 seats and it was half empty except for the odd game.

I didn't realise that people felt this way about american football over there...naturally we also hear stuff about concussion and the dangers of head injuries in rugby, but I can't imagine hearing people saying that they would not let their kids play, or that schools would start cutting rugby. I guess american football is probably worse for head trauma, but even so.

Many former all-time greats won't let their kids play football.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back