Hindsight: would you let Connor vs. Floyd happen

The amount of money they made saved their 2017 year.

Seems like a bad short term business decision

, as opposed to a well planned, long term, and stable business plan they couldve had by keeping him in the UFC

lol the UFC would have made more money having Conor fight in the UFC two times than they did by letting him fight Mayweather. However Connor would have had to fight in the UFC more than 10 times to make the amount he did fighting Mayweather.

UFC shouldn't have let him fight Mayweather, it was a dumb business decision.

Dude, thank you. Thats what im saying!

of course I would let it happen. You think the UFC or MMA in general is run like a sport? If it was, I would never let it happen.

As much money as the UFC made because of it, seems like this fight made Mcgregor outgrow the sport.

Mcgregor was the face of the UFC... Now hes the face of BK

Do you think it was good for the UFC to let this fight happen?

Yes. By a long shot. Hopefully it brings them back down to earth and they realize they can't rely on one or two "superstars" to inflate their moneys to an unreasonable level. I'd like to see more promotion of everyone. Or I'd like to see the UFC go tits up and have the fighters spread out to multiple orgs around the world that are all willing to co-promote. I'd also like Dana White to stub his toe.

Very well put. Conor does not have the durability in any fashion to continuously defend his title. Thus the reason why he has zero title defences.
As Aldo and RDA put it perfectly; Winning the title is easy, keeping it is the challenge.

So what if Conor loses? I dont see why Connor cant lose to Tony then go fight someone else/ cans.... He would still make millions for the UFC and everyone would watch.

Unless we are legitimately concerned about Connor's "legacy", i dont see why he cant lose and keep fighting..... Its normal

Last edited:
of course I would let it happen. You think the UFC or MMA in general is run like a sport? If it was, I would never let it happen.
It didn't even make business sense if you're thinking beyond one event and actually thought about the risk of Conor making 100 mil then not even returning to the sport or taking a long hiatus, or demanding an exorbitant amount of money just to fight again.

Well i definitely think it has been a loss for the sport so far. If he ends up never returning we will have a lot of questions unanswered.

Hopefully it brings them back down to earth and they realize they can't rely on one or two "superstars" to inflate their moneys to an unreasonable level.

And if you are going to rely on 1/2 superstars to get you money... Make sure he doesnt become a super millionaire under your watch... And then expect him to keep working for pitty change

Let's be honest we need Floyd v Conor 2, then if Floyd wins thats it. Rivalry done no more talks of maybe if Conor did this Conor could've done that blah blah. Just get over and done with i would certainly watch it again. Imo Conor did well against a GOAT boxer personally.

bVcVrOh.gif

And if you are going to rely on 1/2 superstars to get you money... Make sure he doesnt become a super millionaire under your watch... And then expect him to keep working for pitty change

I hope in the long run it's good for the sport. The UFC really deserves whatever it gets at this point.

Stop kidding yourself. Fighters would starve themselves to make weight if Connor wanted them.

Well, except GSP, who didn't sound interested in cutting weight to fight Conor. But he's already made many tens of millions, and is a pretty big draw himself; most likely they'd split the difference weight wise.

But transcend the sport usually means everyone has heard of you, including people who don't follow sports. Ali is the best example of that, though a case could also be made for Jesse Owens, Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Joe Namath, Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle ... guys everyone has heard of, whether they follow sports or not. Conor's not done that. Go to your local mall and ask your average person there if they've heard of him, 90% of the time they won't have if they're middle aged and up, or a woman.

Stop kidding yourself. Fighters would starve themselves to make weight if Connor wanted them.

It's called "Cutting weight" and it happens in any weightclass and fight except HW.

If you have any further newbie questions about MMA I'm glad to help you out.

Obviously would've put more safeguards in place instead of the whole "We'll let you do this one time, but be sure to come back to UFC plz!" deal.

Indulging your cash-cows makes sense to a point, until they lose the hunger and stop giving a shit about your platform.

Sure. But he held on to his belts as long as possible for a reason, even though he never intended to defend them.

I think any person thats likes $, with a working brain wouldve done the same

That is how you use a piece like Conor. You don't put him up against 10 fight winning streak fighters, and then 9 fight winning streak fighters. Tony Ferguson fought 5 hard rounds at high altitude. Khabib can wrestle hard for at least 3 rounds. Conor ain't built for those types of problems.
Or 18 fight winning streak undefeated in the UFC fighters like Aldo.
Or with the best wrestler in the division on short notice(Chad M)
Oh wait...he actually did that

I think any person thats likes $, with a working brain wouldve done the same

Meaning that his brand is significantly stronger with them. So how has he outgrown the sport then?

Hell no. was the short term gain to help the WME sale not look so pitiful worth losing your top draw and face of the company for years to come? when mcgregor promotions gets their footing the regret will be realz

Back