Hindsight: would you let Connor vs. Floyd happen

Or 18 fight winning streak undefeated in the UFC fighters like Aldo.
Or with the best wrestler in the division on short notice(Chad M)
Oh wait...he actually did that
Yea Connor might get killed by Khabib's wresling, but he gives problems to everyone else in the division

Last edited:
Meaning that his brand is significantly stronger with them. So how has he outgrown the sport then?

If i have the chance to get a free dollar from you everyday, for the rest of my life.... Even if i become a billionaire by hitting the lottery tomorrow, im still gonna take that dollar from you every single day.

Does that mean i need your dollar? No, but its there... So ill take it.

Its free promotion, why not keep the belts?

If i have the chace to get a free dollar from you everyday, for the rest of my life.... Even if i become a billionaire by hitting the lottery tomorrow, im still gonna take that dollar from you every single day.

So what are his other options that are making him millions? Floyd?

Conor is still a MMA fighter first. That's his main source of income and fame. Yes, he can retire today and laugh all the way to the bank - but then what?

Yes, he can retire today and laugh all the way to the bank - but then what?

Laugh his way out the bank, and onto his yatch full of women.

Its Connor, he doesnt care about cementing his legacy like GSP.

If i have the chance to get a free dollar from you everyday, for the rest of my life.... Even if i become a billionaire by hitting the lottery tomorrow, im still gonna take that dollar from you every single day.

Though interestingly enough, that seems to stop when you get to be one of the richest people in the world - the equivalent of $50 billion in today's dollars. Everyone from Carnegie in the past to Buffett and Gates today; at one point they stop collecting money and start giving it away in chunks of 100's of millions.

Me, I'm in the take it if its free group.

And his fame will slowly fade away with his money.
He has 100 million dollars bro. Unless he is out throwing strip club parties everday he can manage to live with that money like a king for the rest of his life.

Plus, he has some investments i hear, like his whiskey

He has 100 million dollars bro. Unless he is out throwing strip club parties everday he can manage to live with that money like a king for the rest of his life.

Plus, he has some investesments i hear, like his whiskey

First of all I doubt he made anywhere close to 100 mill even though he said he did and second, his whiskey isn't going to bring in more cash than fighting.

But yes, he and his family can definitely live very comfortably for the rest of their lives.

First of all I doubt he made anywhere close to 100 mill even though he said he did and second, his whiskey isn't going to bring in more cash than fighting.

But yes, he and his family can definitely live very comfortably for the rest of their lives.

I just looked up his networth and its 100 million dollars

His whiskey isnt going to bring him more cash than fighting...

But his whiskey wont bash his face inside like Khabib

So what if Conor loses? I dont see why Connor cant lose to Tony then go fight someone else/ cans.... He would still make millions for the UFC and everyone would watch.

Unless we are legitimately concerned about Connor's "legacy", i dont see why he cant lose and keep fighting..... Its normal
He can lose and still keep fighting. But he can't lose and still keep talking the way he talks. Barely made it out the last time.

Nope. Wouldn't have let it happen then, and certainly not be entertaining this Floyd/Conor fighting each other in MMA foolishness. "Letting that fight happen" means I'm the boss, and I have the decision-making power, in which case... not on my watch. The UFC dropped the ball by letting a quick short-term cash grab's consequences affect their own brand. I wouldn't have shut down the idea entirely, but used the possibility of it happening as a means to maintain direction and focus.

The UFC and Conor split approximately $100m 70/30, and given Conor's previous earnings and endorsements, he most assuredly is worth $100m. Floyd made hundreds of millions, Conor made about $70m or so, and the UFC pocketed around $30m for a fight they didn't have to promote or advertise, and had no real expenses running against the "windfall". While that may sound like a no-brainer decision to make on the UFC's part, I can help but wonder if Floyd and his camp capitalized on the UFC's lack of foresight and greed.

Given the length of time that has passed since MayMac went down, I can only assume the UFC didn't take enough precautions and impart stipulations to protect their own brand and ensure Conor keeps making them money. Conor riding the pines, and not going elsewhere to fight is keeping him in the UFC's fold, but he's not making them any money.

The $30m was a token amount to Floyd, but it let him essentially take the combat sports' world focus for almost a year and made a whole lot of money doing it. Floyd didn't give one fuck whether or not it caused disarray or had negative consequences on the MMA organization and their top draw post-fight. Floyd training in a cage, showing of TMT 4oz gloves, applying for an MMA license... all of those things put him right back in the forefront of the MMA world, and the UFC is indirectly responsible for that and are more newsworthy than MMA's biggest draw.

Conor fighting Floyd has taken him away from the UFC for about a year and a half so far, which I feel it's safe to say he could have fought 3 times during that duration. In those three fights, the UFC would have made more than $30m and kept their biggest draw and his focus and attention on their brand. Before anyone says "Conor wouldn't have fought Tony or Khabib, he never would have defended... etc", bear in mind the UFC could have orchestrated the validity of Conor fighting any opponent, but at least it would have been under their banner and in their sport.

Any boxing crossover "superfight" should have been used as a means to keep Conor fulfilling his contract with the UFC. There's no doubt eventually Conor was going to try to move on and entertain more lucrative options, but I think the UFC failed in accelerating that goal. Had Conor fought a few more MMA fights and bolstered his highlight reel KO's and ran a longer streak it likely would have led to an even bigger payday for both the UFC and Conor in the crossover fight, and put the UFC in a position where they weren't so dependent on Conor actually returning to the sport.

Last edited:
Or 18 fight winning streak undefeated in the UFC fighters like Aldo.
Or with the best wrestler in the division on short notice(Chad M)
Oh wait...he actually did that
50% of his opponents were 3-and-something fighters and short-notice opponents. He lost to short notice opponent, By surrender. Truth.

I am not making things up. I checked the record.

Seems like a bad short term business decision

, as opposed to a well planned, long term, and stable business plan they couldve had by keeping him in the UFC
He is still in the UFC. A new star will come along. There are 7 Billion people on Earth. There are far better athletes and personalities waiting to be discovered.

The only people keeping McGregor alive are his fans and the MMA media. The UFC is moving on with Ferguson vs Nurmagomedov, and so are all the reasonable MMA spectators.

Very well put. Conor does not have the durability in any fashion to continuously defend his title. Thus the reason why he has zero title defences.
As Aldo and RDA put it perfectly; Winning the title is easy, keeping it is the challenge.
I partially agree. We don't know if he doesn't have the durability. Conor so far has looked like he is hard to put away in the first 2 rounds.

I don't believe durability is the issue. I think he doesn't have the skills.

Back