Hip Bump Triangle

goatfury

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
https://howtheyplay.com/individual-sports/Hip-Bump-Sweep-Triangle-Set-Up

The hip bump sweep is a staple of the Kimura family from closed guard, and can be useful for setting up a guillotine choke as well. This is well known by most jiu jitsu practitioners, but the hip bump sweep can also set up a triangle choke. This move tends to be less well understood, and can be a huge advantage for the knowledgeable practitioner. Here, we'll cover a few different methods of catching the triangle, and some key details of how to use the hip bump sweep as a tool to set up the triangle.

Enjoy!

Haven't thought about this setup in years, I'll have to go back to it. It's pretty solid, and it's especially nice to be able to play this sort of closed guard for MMA because it takes away the space to avoid being punched.

Ayyy we did this at my gym just the other day.

Depending on how they post I find it easier to get the omoplata.

Haven't thought about this setup in years, I'll have to go back to it. It's pretty solid, and it's especially nice to be able to play this sort of closed guard for MMA because it takes away the space to avoid being punched.

Xande Ribeiro did a similar thing at ADCC 2017 - armbarred 3 people, including John Salter and Rustam Chsiev, using a hip bump and pendulum sweep combo.

Really impressive.

Xande Ribeiro did a similar thing at ADCC 2017 - armbarred 3 people, including John Salter and Rustam Chsiev, using a hip bump and pendulum sweep combo.

Really impressive.

tbh i find it very strange seeing a guy like xande hitting closed guard armbars ud expect someone lankier skinnier longer legs xande is wide and known for keeping his weight on guys to smoother

While I agree that closed guard typically favors lankier people, Xande is known for keeping it old school. I'm not too familiar with too many of his other matches but I do know that he is a living legend - he is still competing at a high level when most of his contemporaries from the past have retired from adult competition. Within that time frame, I'm under the impression that he has done more or less the same thing. Furthermore, his guard is famously hard to pass.

This is to say that he's had a long time to get good at his thing. He has high confidence in his ability to stay safe and submit from the closed guard even if it may not be the optimal game for his body. Maybe someone can chime in with a more intelligent comment.

Back