Hip toss from a wizard

7even

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Does anyone do this in sparring or competition? Any proper video instructions on the technique out there? I been searching for it but can’t find it.

Not to be one of those guys but the nomenclature is whizzer not wizard.

Why would you? If you have initiative, seems better to time stop, ice storm, true strike followed by meteor storm. Or just pound out lots of damaging long range spells and wait for your opponent to miss a save: delayed blast fireball, horrid wilting and so on.

If you're dead set on the hip throw, cast time stop, action shove. If you don't, can always cast Chain Contingencies with a teleport any time they get close to taking you down, then it doesn't matter if you don't have initiative. Not sure why you let them get the underhook when any 20th level wizard has access to fly, but these things happen I guess.

To not be an asshole, yes. I'll take a bladed stance against the underhook, and try to pressure straight down to the ground, to a point in between us, with my overhook (don't push into them, as you'll get suplexed, and don't pull away, or single legs/other nightmares await). Once I've neutralized their underhook, I'll try and step in front and hit the hip throw. Lower body movement/mechanics for the hip throw are, as far as I understand it, the same as they would be in a Judo/Sambo/Whatever situation. The trickery of overhook pressure isn't as intuitive though.

I kind of wonder what results did searching "
Hip toss from a wizard" give you...

Anyway this guys knows his stuff:

Not from a whizzer, but we have a series on O-goshi (major hip throw in Judo parlance)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwd8pJWYTk07-y39XwABYotG8lezWir_M
The last variation in the 'competitive variations' video would have some similarity as its focused on nearside control.
Personally, my judo instinct with a whizzer would be to uchi-mata, but its not clear under what ruleset your thinking of applying it.

its a cool technique but mostly for noob stomping, in the gi where you can get a collar grip with the over hook and a sleeve grip on the far hand improve the control but still is working from the outside and not ideal

in no gi, its a difficult game to play a whizzer counter and it has been popularized more in MMA circles for defending on the cage and having some striking options, but naturally you are working off your opponents underhook and if you don't understand how to play a underhook offense and bodlylock or transition to single/double/High crotch then you aren't going to be able to play whizzer with much success

Usually what's done from the whizzer is a harai goshi or tai otoshi, but especially uchi mata. The straight-up hip toss (o-goshi) is done from a deep underhook. Not saying you can't do it, just it's difficult. From my experience, if you're working throws off an overhook, you want to get uchi mata, uchi mata to ankle pick, lat drop, or seoi nage.

Wizard?

4488876837_8d3da2423a_z.jpg

Ive seen Cub Swanson pull off some nice throws from this position.

Going to take this opportunity to improve my nogi stand-up knowledge.

I guess I've been doing things backwards, going for my hip throws from overhooks, and looking for my uchimatas from underhooks (I'll use the uchimata leg lift when I have an overhook if my opponent has good head positioning on me, so I can reset and try to get the superior head angle, but I'm not expecting to get the throw). I do this in a sumo context where everyone is pushing forward constantly, so that may have something to do with it my strangeness as well, but I also may just be shitty. Why does it work better the other way around?

Soooooo disappointed there isn't a video out there somewhere of somebody dressed as a wizard doing a Harai Goshi :-(

Somebody definitely should film a series of 'wizard' techniques!

Step 1, get good at throws. Drill the entry and the execution in gi or no gi (ideally both over time) hundreds of times to start. Then thousands.

One can hit harai goshi and more from the whizzer as well as from an underhook, I've done it. It's there for the taking.

You're looking at harai goshi and uchi mata primarily and that's not counting the trips and reaps. Under and over can both work but knowing when and how is just a product of practice. There a plethora of basic videos of the above. Just adapt the lapel grip to one's hook and the sleeve becomes tricep or wrist control. There are kazushi or balance adjustments as well but you have to feel those by doing it over and over and over.

But as said above, this all part of a greater judo and clinch grappling game. You gotta learn the whole thing to be able to implement a moving part well in challenging situation.

The best way to learn this would be to train judo or sambo and then also keep training at a place that does no gi grappling and is not shy of the standup game.

Last edited:
most hip throws from whizzer are uchi mata harai goshi basic hip toss us done with a underhook generally

Back