Hockey Mouth Guard for Boxing/Kickboxing Sparring?

RichyN

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I am about 2 months in to boxing/kickboxing training and started sparring.

Been having problems with breathing with my cheap mouth guard. Hard to mimmick the same hsk hsk hsk sounds i make while hitting pads or the bag.

Looking at this hockey mouth guard: https://www.sportchek.ca/product/33...ource=facebook&utm_medium=dpa&utm_content=2-7

Would hockey mouth guard's work? Seems like its hard to find any breathable Mouth Guards that are fight specific in my city immediately. Would like to spend less than $30.

Live in Edmonton, AB Canada.

Thanks for the help in advance.

This thing look gigantic, why would you think it's easier breathing with this?

"O Flow breathing technology" seems to be a fancy way of describing holes...

Instead of getting a mouthguard with holes, though, I would recommend just getting something that fits more closely/tightly to your upper teeth. I personally use Damage Control mouth guards. I don't know if they're available in Canada, though.

Also, I wonder if getting a mouth guard with holes is the best way to resolve the problem you are having. Yes, you may be able to produce some nuanced variation of your "hsk hsk hsk" sound; nevertheless, it is likely to be accompanied by the unfortunate "O Flow" of saliva from your mouth, to your chin, to your (or your opponents) gloves/feet/etc.

"O Flow breathing technology" seems to be a fancy way of describing holes...

Instead of getting a mouthguard with holes, though, I would recommend just getting something that fits more closely/tightly to your upper teeth. I personally use Damage Control mouth guards. I don't know if they're available in Canada, though.

Also, I wonder if getting a mouth guard with holes is the best way to resolve the problem you are having. Yes, you may be able to produce some nuanced variation of your "hsk hsk hsk" sound; nevertheless, it is likely to be accompanied by the unfortunate "O Flow" of saliva from your mouth, to your chin, to your (or your opponents) gloves/feet/etc.

Going to second this. I used to use a double mouth guard for sparring but ended up looking like a damn idiot drooling all over the place.

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories...or-gel-nano-senior-mouth-guard-330557789.html

Shock Doctor's a pretty good brand.

Go with this one:

Double mouth guards make it difficult to breathe, I don't like them, they don't feel comfortable and I wouldn't recommend them. I'd just get one like that that molds well with your teeth.

What does your dentist recommend?

I bought a pair of shock doctors for $20. They are a lot smaller than my old ones, haven't had the chance to try them out though.

Get one customer made. If you stick with it, you'll eventually want one anyways.

You're (probably) wasting energy chomping down hard to keep the guard in place. Having it just stick to your teeth is one less thing to think about

Definitely a big difference between the doctors and the old $3 ones. The doctors are actually bigger, just looked smaller in the package. However, more breathable.

@Foppa21 lesson learnt, probably wont by shitty ones ever again. When i have more cash, ill definitely get customs. Thanks for the tip!

wouldn't you want to get use to keeping your jaw stiff??? I was looking into getting a mouthpiece that is easy to breath through with a clenched jaw, just to keep the habit of stiffening my jaw in case I get hit.

wouldn't you want to get use to keeping your jaw stiff??? I was looking into getting a mouthpiece that is easy to breath through with a clenched jaw, just to keep the habit of stiffening my jaw in case I get hit.

Yes i think thats the idea, when you absorb a shot you want to have your teeth clenched. A loose jaw is more susceptible to a broken jaw.

Practice breathing out with teeth clenched is proper. But i think it varies from person to person.

Back