Hollow Knight is really REALLY good

IamStryker

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Last time I had looked this game was not on Xbox so I couldn't play it. I realized the other day that it was released on Xbox Marketplace at the end of October so I immediately went and bought it. It's a metroid style game like Ori and the blind forest. I realize it's been out for awhile so most have already played it but for anyone who still hasn't and is interested in these types of games I highly recommend it. I'm only about 4 hours in and I'm already in love with it. It's fun, challenging, interesting, and I love that it doesn't hold your hand or shove long cut scenes down your throat.

The health/death system is probably the best I have scene. What's great about it is that if you fall in a pit or something like that you don't just die and go back to a save spot which can be very irritating/unfair. instead you lose a health orb and respawn nearby. You only really die if you run out of health. For me that makes the game feel fair and yet it's still challenging. You have to pay attention and keep your health up because losing your progress would suck.

It cost $15 and worth every penny.

I love this game but it's nothing like Metroid or Ori. This is not a metroidvania. It has secrets in all levels but that's the only similarity

But yeah, this is a great game. I had more fun playing this than almost any other ps4 game in the past 5 years.

I love this game but it's nothing like Metroid or Ori. This is not a metroidvania. It has secrets in all levels but that's the only similarity

But yeah, this is a great game. I had more fun playing this than almost any other ps4 game in the past 5 years.

I believe it fits the description of metroidvania.....

Metroidvania games generally feature a large interconnected world map the player can explore, though access to parts of the world is often limited by doors or other obstacles that can only be passed once the player has acquired special items, tools, weapons or abilities within the game. Acquiring such improvements can also aid the player in defeating more difficult enemies and locating shortcuts and secret areas, and often includes retracing one's steps across the map. Through this, Metroidvania games include tighter integration of story and level design, careful design of levels and character controls to encourage exploration and experimentation, and a means for the player to become more invested in their player character. Metroidvania games typically are sidescrolling platformers, but can also include other genre types. Though popularized during the early console generations, the genre saw a resurgence starting in the 2000s due to a number of critically praised, independently developed games.

I don't think there is anything in the above that doesn't apply to Hollow Knight.

I just started it on the switch last night.

Only a couple of hours in but I’m already hooked. It’s simple but challenging. The music creates amazing ambience. Looking forward to exploring more.

I just started it on the switch last night.

Only a couple of hours in but I’m already hooked. It’s simple but challenging. The music creates amazing ambience. Looking forward to exploring more.

Oh I definitely need to comment on the music. It's so perfect IMO. It's not overbearing like other games. It fits the game and is usually subtle. It does it's job by ADDING to the atmosphere. Can't believe this game was made by like 3 or 4 people.

Just got it in the Humble, it's the only game that interests me from last months haul, just haven't had the time to load it up yet.

So last night I finally realized what that shadow knight is. Lol

I’m getting killed a lot in this game.

So last night I finally realized what that shadow knight is. Lol

I’m getting killed a lot in this game.

I feel I am doing pretty well. I've played for around 4 hours so far. The first boss I think he was called "false knight" or whatever didn't kill me. I can only think of about 3-4 times that I have died so far and once was two the second boss. That small fast moving feminine looking bug with a sword. Beat her the second time though.

I’m still getting used to playing handheld. Having the screen between the controllers threw me off a bit when I first started.

Awesome game.

Fuck this guy though
latest

It's a fantastic game. I have it on steam, but I may pick it up for PS4 so I can play through on a TV instead of a computer chair and screen.

I got like 90% of the way through and hit a wall with some of the later bosses and got distracted by other games.

thanks for the tip, might check it out.

i don't like the character designs, but i could use a reason to use my ps4.

Hollow knight was great but I got tired of it about 3/4 through. Like @rob mafia the character designs never gelled with me throughout. But I remember laughing at the mantis enemies once I beat the optional mantis bosses.

But all in all it felt like a game trying to be a 2d dark souls. I finished salt and sanctuary (comparing because I felt it was similar) twice and liked that game better.

Hollow knight was great but I got tired of it about 3/4 through. Like @rob mafia the character designs never gelled with me throughout. But I remember laughing at the mantis enemies once I beat the optional mantis bosses.

But all in all it felt like a game trying to be a 2d dark souls. I finished salt and sanctuary (comparing because I felt it was similar) twice and liked that game better.

now i'm hesitant. didn't like salt much.

you should check out RDR 2 it's amazing. You'd love it.

i'll check it out. i hear it's literally the best game ever made.

I believe it fits the description of metroidvania.....

Metroidvania games generally feature a large interconnected world map the player can explore, though access to parts of the world is often limited by doors or other obstacles that can only be passed once the player has acquired special items, tools, weapons or abilities within the game. Acquiring such improvements can also aid the player in defeating more difficult enemies and locating shortcuts and secret areas, and often includes retracing one's steps across the map. Through this, Metroidvania games include tighter integration of story and level design, careful design of levels and character controls to encourage exploration and experimentation, and a means for the player to become more invested in their player character. Metroidvania games typically are sidescrolling platformers, but can also include other genre types. Though popularized during the early console generations, the genre saw a resurgence starting in the 2000s due to a number of critically praised, independently developed games.

I don't think there is anything in the above that doesn't apply to Hollow Knight.

Wow. Nevermind. I was thinking Shovel Knight when I opened this thread. My bad. I never played Hollow Knight. Will check it out soon.

you should check out RDR 2 it's amazing. You'd love it.

Lmao

I was gonna grab this game when it came out but I knew I would never get around to it, but it will probably go on sale for black friday so I might get it now.

Back