Hollow Knight is really REALLY good

I didn't like it at all sadly. I'm a big Metroidvania/explore and upgrade game fan but this one did nothing for me.

The graphics were bland, the controls were average and I just didn't get much out of it. I gave it about 6 hours and it just wasn't getting any better.

I honestly felt the same way about super metroid. Very bland graphics and it started to get boring. Still finished it but never bothered playing it a second time.

I bought this game yesterday and so far it's fun. It's no Symphony of the Night but I'm enjoying it so far.

I honestly felt the same way about super metroid. Very bland graphics and it started to get boring. Still finished it but never bothered playing it a second time.

I bought this game yesterday and so far it's fun. It's no Symphony of the Night but I'm enjoying it so far.

I havn't played symphony in awhile but I'm pretty confident I prefer hollow knight. It's just more challenging overall.

That isn't a knock on symphony as I have praised that game for years.

I havn't played symphony in awhile but I'm pretty confident I prefer hollow knight. It's just more challenging overall.

That isn't a knock on symphony as I have praised that game for years.

SOTN is much easier but everything else is better IMO. The music alone makes me replay it every year.

SOTN is much easier but everything else is better IMO. The music alone makes me replay it every year.

Music is definitely great in that game. The castlevania feel is second to none.

I am baffled that there haven't been more castlevania games made in recent years or maybe games completely copying them.

Music is definitely great in that game. The castlevania feel is second to none.

I am baffled that there haven't been more castlevania games made in recent years or maybe games completely copying them.

the guy who made SoTN is working on a close right now. It was supposed to be out in like March, but he keeps adding stuff and delaying it.
It's called Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. It should be out next year.

the guy who made SoTN is working on a close right now. It was supposed to be out in like March, but he keeps adding stuff and delaying it.

I took a look at that game but it wasn't what I expected.

The bloodstained prequel came out in May. Was done by a different company in the style of Castlevania 3. I was kinda meh about it after finishing it, but the final game next year should be good.

I beat it a few weeks ago and found it to be a complete chore from start to finish. I did like most of the boss battles and it had an excellent Dark Souls-ish atmosphere, but the actual gameplay (as in, combat and exploration) were mundane at best. I'd personally rate it about 6 or 7/10. I thought Guacamelee 2 (which I happened to beat roughly a week before Hollow Knight) was infinitely more enjoyable.

I beat it a few weeks ago and found it to be a complete chore from start to finish. I did like most of the boss battles and it had an excellent Dark Souls-ish atmosphere, but the actual gameplay (as in, combat and exploration) were mundane at best. I'd personally rate it about 6 or 7/10. I thought Guacamelee 2 (which I happened to beat roughly a week before Hollow Knight) was infinitely more enjoyable.

Enjoyability on this game is definitely going to be extremely subjective. There were times I definitely became somewhat frustrated with traversing the map, backtracking, missing important shit that was right fucking there the whole time. To me though it was worth it. I just really really hate excessive hand holding which is in most video games today. So it's nice to have something like Hollow knight occasionally.

TBH I liked Dead Cells more.

As far as "Metroidvania" games go, The Messenger was the fucking bomb to me this year.

I am playing dead cells now and while it has a lot to love one thing Hollow Knight does better is the boss fights. The boss fights in dead cells are really brain dead. The best strat is to drop turrets and hop around until they die.

Amazing game, probably my favourite metroidvania.

Phenomenal game.. I still haven't finished it, had an issue with the laptop and I really need to pick it back up. Got maybe 2-3 hours in and loved it.

I keep wanting to give this a try again. The last time I just got stuck and couldn't figure out where to go.

I just finished Bloodstained and loved it. This just didn't grab me and I'm not sure why. I guess it's the difficultly, lack of save points and super slow pacing. Everyone keeps saying it's amazing so I want to continue if I can figure out where to go.

I keep wanting to give this a try again. The last time I just got stuck and couldn't figure out where to go.

I just finished Bloodstained and loved it. This just didn't grab me and I'm not sure why. I guess it's the difficultly, lack of save points and super slow pacing. Everyone keeps saying it's amazing so I want to continue if I can figure out where to go.

Many times when I played this game I didn't know where to continue and kept checking various places until I discovered what direction worked. It's normal.

games really good. it gets better and better for the first few hours as you familiarize yourself with the controls and gain abilities. atmospheres great, npcs are cute, the challenge is refreshing, all around worth playing, 7.8/10... if you get lost, which is inevitable, just backtrack, explore and crack some bugs until you discover a route you didn't notice before....

It may had been THIS thread that provoked me to buy this game.

Ended up being a 'where-the-fuck-do-i-go or what-the-fuck-do-i-do' kinda game.

Ditched this shit.

It may had been THIS thread that provoked me to buy this game.

Ended up being a 'where-the-fuck-do-i-go or what-the-fuck-do-i-do' kinda game.

Ditched this shit.

I can direct you to some games that hold your hand the whole time if you would like.

I can direct you to some games that hold your hand the whole time if you would like.
Did you make the fucking game? Lets not get pissy here, ive played and loved Shadow Complex, along with the original Metroids.

Hollow just was a bore.

Youre gonna have to just deal with a conflict of opinion. Or you can always cry abouy it..

Back