home defense...? couple of questions...

There are lots of variables.

Like in most Blue states, shooting and only wounding a Home Invader could = him suing you and maybe winning, while he's in prison. Birdshot is probably not enough. It looks scary as shit blasting through water jugs & plywood, but will it really stop someone on drugs, etc. I wouldn't want to get shot in the face with a pellet gun neither, but it doesn't mean that it's the best choice of weapon. 00 buckshots will kill but may keep going through many walls killing other people when missed. You're slinging like 9 pellets with each being the size of a 9mm round and it's coming out of a long barrel.

I would sooner go with an AR-15 w/hollow points than a shotgun with 00 when in the suburbs. But a 9mm with good hollow points would be my choice.
This is generally my preferred set-up as well, although I would sub out the 5.56 for .300 AAC.

Shotguns may very easily require follow-up shots that are harder to take because it's a shotgun, while something on the AR platform will be much easier. A 9mm would work very well also, but that implies that you can actually take accurate shots with a pistol on a moving dinner-plate-sized target from across a room ;)

This is generally my preferred set-up as well, although I would sub out the 5.56 for .300 AAC.

Shotguns may very easily require follow-up shots that are harder to take because it's a shotgun, while something on the AR platform will be much easier. A 9mm would work very well also, but that implies that you can actually take accurate shots with a pistol on a moving dinner-plate-sized target from across a room ;)

You running it suppressed?

I'm partial to the black Hills 5.56 77gr tmk myself.

77grTMK_06.jpg

Starts to open and fragment basically immediately. It's not yaw dependent for that fragmentation either.

Bird shot does work, you still have to/should aim, and if you buy a Glock 17 do you plan on aiming when you fire that gun at least?

Could do a 9mm AR.

Keep the MP5, I want these.....
312EC402-D48B-419F-B314-EDA3CD41BD95.jpeg

Some other non Glock mag 9mm options as well.....

AR Style
296C33F8-8E9E-4B75-9343-0F7253244402.jpeg

Sig MPX
FF07152C-A0E6-40EE-9090-E2AE9E987830.jpeg

B&T
9448A55D-C017-4116-8213-C97666FEDDAC.jpeg

CZ Evo Scorpian
FD87EB5B-75F7-4A0A-B3E9-911F147E1BD5.jpeg

I want a scorpion.

The big advantage for the AR pattern 9mm is AR triggers imo.

I want a scorpion.

The big advantage for the AR pattern 9mm is AR triggers imo.

So far I’m most in love with the Kriss vector. Watching it fire with literally no muzzle rise is amazing. I understand 9mm is not a monster round, but still. Check out the control on rapid fire....

I just need to weigh whether or not I want to drop 1.8k for a CT legal one.

So far I’m most in love with the Kriss vector. Watching it fire with literally no muzzle rise is amazing. I understand 9mm is not a monster round, but still. Check out the control on rapid fire....

I'm not a big fan. I've shot the .45 version a bunch of times.

I just need to weigh whether or not I want to drop 1.8k for a CT legal one.

The Vector is a cool gun but the damn price scares me off.

Will bird shot "work" - yes

Would a larger shot be more effective - yes (caveats on gauge, which shot size, choked barrel vs non, ......) I actually prefer a #2 shot to stifle overpenetration. But that is primarily due to the layout of my current house and it leaves me with several areas to clear where the kids bedrooms are just 2-4 layers of drywall away. If I didn't have that constraint, I would definitely be pushing low recoil 00 down the tube

Lethal distance - If you can't get it done in under 21 ft, you are in trouble (also need to check your state and local laws on castle doctrine) You are far better off taking that life than wounding and being brought up for a civil suit later

As far as pistol caliber carbines and PDW's - yes a million times over

I'm currently running a 10.5" 9mm AR platform as my primary bump in the night weapon. There's still scattergun accessibility at all times, but those are for other situations

Get training!!!!!!! And then get some more

Thought you had a Kriss and said you really liked it.

My friend has it now. It's also currently broken. Won't pick up the next round. You can manually cycle, it ejects fine.

At the time there wasn't really any other options. It's definitely fun, just not a fan compared to some of the newer options. I don't like the way it recoils. I feel like it almost all transfers to my trigger hand vs my shoulder.

I still want to try a 10mm version.

My friend has it now. It's also currently broken. Won't pick up the next round. You can manually cycle, it ejects fine.

At the time there wasn't really any other options. It's definitely fun, just not a fan compared to some of the newer options. I don't like the way it recoils. I feel like it almost all transfers to my trigger hand vs my shoulder.

I still want to try a 10mm version.

Whereas I'm pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable the 9mm carbine version is to shoot. A few others have put rounds through it and seemed positive about the experience.

My biggest gripe was as a lefty it's hard not to hit the mag release when gripping the receiver. Nothing a VFG didn't solve.

Back