Honest Question. Why was Khabib ranked above Tony for so long?

Thuckey

I swear to drunk.. I'm not God.
Platinum Member
Reaction score
The past little while every time I checked the LW rankings I found Khabib above Tony

They both have wins over RDA, the former champ, both fought Michael Johnson but although Tony lost the fight, this was way back in 2012 he now has amassed a stellar 10 fight win streak in the LW division against very tough guys. Granted some are no names but he still has better wins than Khabib...

They also have a few common opponents which tony beat in more dominant fashion.., finishing rather than taking to a UD

So, not hating on Khabib or riding Tony's nuts, not a fan of either really but know how good they are, just the question remainds

Why was Khabib ranked above Tony?

Like I said I'm not trying to make a point or anything I just really would like to hear a thought out and logical response from somebody that can explain it well enough.

Probably because Khabib is undefeated and had the more recent victory at the time. He also has a win over the last person to beat Tony so that might have been a factor. That's my guess.

Honestly puzzles me too
The RDA win was of decent value I guess

Maybe the UFC knows that when casuals see "24-0" they go HOLY FUCK!!!!

I know I used to before coming to my senses

A lot of people think those are all UFC fights.

Tony definitely should have jumped Khabib in the rankings when Khabib pulled out of their last scheduled fight.

The Hype Machine.

Undefeated fighter sounds better as a contender in marketing... but Khabib doesn't pray to the "just bleed" gods and pulls out of fights, so he got knocked down a peg.

And I'd have to check but surely Tony is # 1 now right...

I mean IC does that give him 1 by default?

I agree Ts. It was wack that Kabib was ever ranked above tony.

UFC was pushing a narrative just like they did w Ronda and are now doing w mm. Tony was always the better and more professional fighter. Cuck-based narratives And sucking up to Muslims is in style I guess.

Tony forced his way to the top in spite of all the sucking up to Kabib.

It was a slap in the face to tony and I'm glad the Kabib spin is over. Kabib needs to fight Barboza or the winner of Alvarez/gaetche or stfu.

Not sure, always felt he should have a rank or two lower. He doesn't have many big wins as RDA was a different fighter when he fought him, Ferguson beat a peak RDA.

Because styles make fights and stylistically khabib is not only a bad matchup for Tony, but also a tougher matchup for the champ as well

I feel like if Khabib fought more...

he Maybe wouldn't be undefeated right now. Everybody loses...

Would be cool to have like a 30-0 champ though. Boxing drives me nuts with all its 32-0, 40-0, now 50-0 champs that reitre.

Because styles make fights and stylistically khabib is not only a bad matchup for Tony, but also a tougher matchup for the champ as well

Fuck, Khabib is a horror for Conor.

Because people were ranking them based upon perceived ability, as opposed to resume accomplishments. Khabib passes the eye test more than Tony, and the way he mauled RDA cemented what people thought about him. But Tony has clearly accomplished more.

Back