Honest Question. Why was Khabib ranked above Tony for so long?

UFC rankings don't give a fck about inactivity

Rankings don't matter

The UFC wants people to believe Khabib is relevant in the LW picture.

Because in reality, he isn't.

khabib cant be beat he fought bears in russia.

tony beating rda was impressive than khabib beating MJ.

Fyi, almost losing then winning doesn't make you go lower in the rankings
The rankings are very arbitrary and biased. Getting in trouble against a UFC debutant won't help but I agree with you. It was more a reaction on previous posts where the argument is made that convincing victories are factored in.

The past little while every time I checked the LW rankings I found Khabib above Tony

They both have wins over RDA, the former champ, both fought Michael Johnson but although Tony lost the fight, this was way back in 2012 he now has amassed a stellar 10 fight win streak in the LW division against very tough guys. Granted some are no names but he still has better wins than Khabib...

They also have a few common opponents which tony beat in more dominant fashion.., finishing rather than taking to a UD

So, not hating on Khabib or riding Tony's nuts, not a fan of either really but know how good they are, just the question remainds

Why was Khabib ranked above Tony?

Like I said I'm not trying to make a point or anything I just really would like to hear a thought out and logical response from somebody that can explain it well enough.

Probably because Khabib has taken only a few hard shots his entire MMA career while Tony gets his head folded back repeatedly and/or taken down at will while Khabib is extremely dominant.

Plus the rankings are hard to follow because they change right before cards, right after cards, randomly due to inactivity or suspensions and what not. Not something people should care about.

tony struggles in every fight he has. literally every single one. khabib dominates every fight from beginning to end. imo khabib is a far superior fighter, more wellrounded skillset & better performances overall. he just gets a lot of unneccessary hate because he had to pull out of a fight.
i'd put khabib as #1 LW and Tony as #2.

Not sure, always felt he should have a rank or two lower. He doesn't have many big wins as RDA was a different fighter when he fought him, Ferguson beat a peak RDA.

This is a joke right?
Khabib beat RDA on a 5 fight winning streak who went on to win 5 more fights. Tony fought RDA off a loss.

So how on earth did Tony fight him at his peak and Khabib didn't? Khabib literally did.

Not sure, always felt he should have a rank or two lower. He doesn't have many big wins as RDA was a different fighter when he fought him, Ferguson beat a peak RDA.

Within the next 18 months RDA beat all of Jason High, Bendo, Nate, Pettis and Cowboy in dominant fashion.

Tony has been #1 for a couple year at most sites. He was #1 at UFC too for like a month until khabib beat MJ then Khabib got #1 again. Tony should be #1 again now after update. Basically goes back and forth at UFC site.

Fuck, Khabib is a horror for Conor.
They're kind of both horrors for each other, with each man's strength being the other's weakness. Traditionally wrestling dominates in striker vs grappler matches, but Conor has gotten so good at controlling distance (at least early on) that it makes it a lot more interesting.

They're kind of both horrors for each other, with each man's strength being the other's weakness. Traditionally wrestling dominates in striker vs grappler matches, but Conor has gotten so good at controlling distance (at least early on) that it makes it a lot more interesting.

We know Khabib sucks at striking, but we have no idea if its his weakness. He's never been knocked out. His skull looks huge though. Unless its a flash knockdown and the referee stops it like what happened to Bibulatov, i dont see it happening. Conor has more to fear, given his performance against Nate. He's been subbed multiple times already.

Him and rda were number one and two contenders and khabib mauled him. Rda went on to become champ after. What more needs to be said?

Tony beat more quality opponents but his loss to MJ hurt him. Plus he arguably lost to Yves.

Does it honestly matter who is ranked #2 and who's ranked #3?

Back