Honestly.... is the gi really a good idea ? | Page 4

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Evenflow80, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Ryo Black Belt

Ryo

You're talking about a controlled sparring match where the agreed upon notion is to not hurt your partner. Most people are not going 100 percent, flight or flight, life or death. That changes things when a big strong guy is doing everything in his power to hurt you. A one year white belt, especially one who hasn't trained specifically to deal with someone trying to pound their face into the mat, is by no means guaranteed to dominate every untrained guy in a real fight. It's just not realistic.

BJJ_Rage likes this.
  2. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

BJJ_Rage
    Yes I agree with your view.

3. Rebelfett Blue Belt

Rebelfett
    Completely agree I posted this in the judo forum over the winter:

Silverblur likes this.
  4. trustdoesntrust Green Belt

trustdoesntrust
    I'd agree with that, but still the argument is about gi preparing you better for street fights because people wear clothes on the street. Just seems like a lot could go wrong if you expect grips to translate as a control point when you've never drilled against that type of clothing. no gi grips are universal and don't require reaching.

5. Crimson Glory TMMAC

Crimson Glory
    This is in part why I decided to train Judo finally.

Had my third class tonight.

Unless it's summer(which is only about 3 months out of the year if I'm lucky where I live) you're not going to fight a shirtless person, in fact, you're more than likely going up against someone wearing at the very least, a hoody, 9 months out of the year and you'll be wearing one aswell. It's too damn cold for anything else and too damn cold to take it off before you fight aswell.

Learning how to manipulate someones clothing and stopping someone from doing that too you can be very valuable skills to have.

I don't plan on only doing Judo, but I love it, it's fun as hell and my school does a good amount of Ne-Waza aswell, so it's better than doing a straight Wrestling class and better than doing a straight BJJ class, as you develop grappling tech aswell as high impact throws and I can still learn Morte Gari, Kata Guruma etc during class, just can't do it in actual competition.

Went over the arm triangle, a guard pass, Kesa Gatame and several throws tonight(Tai Otoshi being one of them! Very happy about that)

6. BIGthingsSON Blue Belt

BIGthingsSON
    If you're worried about self def you're most likely a lower belt. This mean any altercation you're in will be a tough scenario. In the end during your early years it's a flip of the coin. Keep training, go hard, compete( gi and no go) ect ect. Through that you will gain the aggression and mental fortitude to take a mothafcka on. Lets be real here though... If bjj is used it's probably not life threatening. Dont be scared of the world homie.

mike sherry and jr jr like this.
  7. aries Red Belt

aries
    I did say someone roughly your same size. If the guy has 50lbs on you then no, a one year average white belt is not always going to overcome that. But I've rolled with newbie white belts who are trying to smash me with their size (50lbs bigger) and strength. Spazzing out with all they have. I know they are because they gas out in about a minute. But I'm able to sweep and pin them fairly comfortably. We don't train much self-defence though so I do concede to your point that it's different when strikes are thrown into the mix.