House Democrat: I Would Trade the Wall for a DACA Bill— We Can Tear It Down in a Couple of Years

What immigration policy would you like our government to carry out right now, specifically with regard to the southern border?
Lets say keeping DACA, federal funding for sanctuary cities, better healthcare for both documented and undocumented immigrants, eliminating ICE. Is there something specific you want to know?

Lets say keeping DACA, federal funding for sanctuary cities, better healthcare for both documented and undocumented immigrants, eliminating ICE. Is there something specific you want to know?
What's the idea behind eliminating ICE?

What's the idea behind eliminating ICE?
I guess what I should have said was reform ICE. I think their practices are barbaric as is their mission. But I sadly cannot continue this back and forth anymore this morning as I need to try to get some sleep. Take care.

A lot of political officiandos, left and right, think their demographic powers will lead them to ultimate victory, at which point they can humiliate the vanquished left/right foes and do everything "their way" for the justice of whoever they happen to identify with and like.

And both sides are ruining it for everybody.

To bad the people at the top love money to much lol. They will always find away to get cheap labor for big profits .

well yeah hiring illegals is basically just fine right now.

That would be really stupid. If it puts even a dent in illegal immigration, that' a good thing. Either party HAS to think that, because it's common sense. You can say it's not worth the money etc all day.. But once it's up, it stays.

I don't even know what Spier is talking about. Does she not realize that there is already a wall? Does she want that torn down too? It's not like a border wall was Trump's idea. He just wants to improve on it. She's talking like it's this new thing that mean old racist Trump thought about.

I don't even know what Spier is talking about. Does she not realize that there is already a wall? Does she want that torn down too? It's not like a border wall was Trump's idea. He just wants to improve on it. She's talking like it's this new thing that mean old racist Trump thought about.

That's what the media has fed them. The medi a is the further left's God and father. That's why they are losing it.

Democrats want open borders for votes, they could care less about the people from Mexico.

Are you sure that's the form Trump intends for it? I've witnessed him claim otherwise on multiple occasions.

Who can be sure of any of Trumps claims, really.

I'm just going by the "examples" that were displayed near the San Diego boarder in a news story earlier this year. I fully concede that the most realistic outcome is a border fence rather than an actual wall, and I'd even give credit where it's due if "wall" = increased presence of authorities + fencing.

We do know John Kelly came out a little while back and claimed that Trump never envisioned an actual wall, that the wall was merely a metaphor for what I just described above. Trump's reaction to that was to shit all over Kelly for daring to put words in his mouth then go hold a campaign rally where he whipped up the crowd into a Build The Wall frenzy.

So what Trump claims to want and what his supporters who attend his rallies claim to want is some sort of concrete monolith, not John Kelly's metaphorical wall = increased presence/fencing.

Well, it's a piss poor negotiating tactic to go into the conversation stating you'll reverse the concessions in the future. But we're in a political environment in which Republicans are not interested in negotiations to begin with.

You also won’t want to pay $5 a lb for strawberries or other Ag food.

Yeah, and I also don't want tens of billions of tax dollars going to support illegals. They soak up food money, school money, health care money and all sorts of other tax dollars. You act like they don't cost tax payers hundreds of billions of dollars a year.

You act like illegals haven't bankrupted 90+ hospitals in California alone. Over 90 hospitals have close in California and now our citizens are in much more danger of dying because they have so much farther to go to get emergency care. You act like my car insurance hasn't tripled in the last decade because of uninsured illegal drivers.

You ignore reality, and you probably don't have to live among the illegals and the consequences they bring.

Yeah, and I also don't want tens of billions of tax dollars going to support illegals. They soak up food money, school money, health care money and all sorts of other tax dollars. You act like they don't cost tax payers hundreds of billions of dollars a year.

You act like illegals haven't bankrupted 90+ hospitals in California alone. Over 90 hospitals have close in California and now our citizens are in much more danger of dying because they have so much farther to go to get emergency care. You act like my car insurance hasn't tripled in the last decade because of uninsured illegal drivers.

You ignore reality, and you probably don't have to live among the illegals and the consequences they bring.

Born and raised in San Diego.

Illegals aren't the only reason the hospitals closed and they aren't the major reason your insurance has gone up. If you removed illegals from California you'd wind up with a non-functioning state.

Born and raised in San Diego.

Illegals aren't the only reason the hospitals closed and they aren't the major reason your insurance has gone up. If you removed illegals from California you'd wind up with a non-functioning state.

That is such a fucking retarded argument. Pretending the US can't exist without illegal aliens is just fucking dumb. We would adjust quickly. Farms would have to pay high fair wages to attract work, or they would invest in automation and equipment. Farmers adapt to whatever conditions they need to.

Construction work would slow, and it would cause a rise in construction labor price driving legal citizens into the trades. This is good.

Restaurants would have major trouble, but they would adjust. OH NO! We would have a shaky month or two and then we would be fine. lol.

Prices would go up and stabilize, and the tax burden would DROP. Schools would get better. Crime would go down. Insurance would stabilize. Blacks would do better economically. Social harmony would increase. Oh the horror.

Democrats want open borders for votes, they could care less about the people from Mexico.

I've literally never met a democrat or liberal that though that way. They are truly bleeding hearts, for better or worse.

This "theory" is just the right projecting how they think on the left. Conservatives just can't fathom someone empathizing with someone so different unless they have personal gain in mind.

I've literally never met a democrat or liberal that though that way. They are truly bleeding hearts, for better or worse.

This "theory" is just the right projecting how they think on the left. Conservatives just can't fathom someone empathizing with someone so different unless they have personal gain in mind.
If they cared they would support Donald Trump to bring a end to NAFTA.

These guys are good for a laugh but the fun of it all is tainted by their pitiable lack of self awareness.
You're failing. You fail. Independants who think for themselves are the only self-aware ones left. And yes, democrats worship the media as a whole like establishment conservative fan worshipped fox news only.

I'm just going by the "examples" that were displayed near the San Diego boarder in a news story earlier this year. I fully concede that the most realistic outcome is a border fence rather than an actual wall, and I'd even give credit where it's due if "wall" = increased presence of authorities + fencing.

When did Trump ever claim he would build a solid wall the entire length of the US-Mexico border? During the Republican primary race in 2015, Trump stated repeatedly that the wall would not be needed across the entire border due to natural barriers and the fact that some of the existing structures are acceptable.

TRUMP: You know, you know, the Great Wall of China is 13,000 miles. It was built 2,000 years ago. It was actually built over a long period of time, but it started 2,000 - it's a long time. So 13,000 miles. What we're talking about is 2,000 miles, but less, maybe 1,000 because you'll have a lot of territory where you don't need it. You have natural barricades, you have some walls that were built that are OK.

---Donald Trump, September 14, 2015
(Source)

If you're contesting the idea that a solid wall is desirable in some areas, then your view is at odds with that of Rodney Scott, US Customs and Border Patrol Chief Agent for the San Diego Sector: "The reason you have a front door with a lock on it is because you believe in walls. If you didn't believe in security---if you believed in open borders, no walls and no impedance---you'd leave your doors open at night. So the concept [of the wall] is solid. There are some areas---for example, right on the border in city environments---I don't want my agents right next to a solid wall that they can't see through. People could lob rocks or molotov cocktails across it. We're being asked what we need and where we need it." March 2018 Source

We do know John Kelly came out a little while back and claimed that Trump never envisioned an actual wall, that the wall was merely a metaphor for what I just described above.

Senator Ron Johnson is the person who claimed "the wall" was a metaphor. Kelly said Trump "evolved" in the way he looks at the issue but did not specify how, then in the next breath Kelly said that 800 miles of additional wall are needed in addition to the 600 miles of fencing currently in place Source.

It's more accurate to say the wall is a real structure that Trump intends to build, and that other border security measures (including non-wall barriers) will need to be part of the solution.

Trump's reaction to that was to shit all over Kelly for daring to put words in his mouth then go hold a campaign rally where he whipped up the crowd into a Build The Wall frenzy.

Not really. Trump responded to the media mischaracterization of Kelly's comments with the following tweets, which confirm his campaign promises.

So what Trump claims to want and what his supporters who attend his rallies claim to want is some sort of concrete monolith, not John Kelly's metaphorical wall = increased presence/fencing.
Again, please provide a source showing that Trump wants "some sort of concrete monolith".

I guess what I should have said was reform ICE. I think their practices are barbaric as is their mission.

ICE ERO Mission (Source):

To identify, arrest, and remove aliens who present a danger to national security or are a risk to public safety, as well as those who enter the United States illegally or otherwise undermine the integrity of our immigration laws and our border control efforts. Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) upholds America's immigration laws at, within and beyond our borders through efficient enforcement and removal operations.

-----------

In what way is this mission "barbaric"?

Back