House of Cards season 6 just released today and it sucks

So predictable that they would play the feminism card.

The whole SJW culture is really turning me off from future movies and shows I would have otherwise anticipated.

For example, Captain Marvel might be the first MCU movie of phase 3 that I don't bother to watch (unless the word of mouth is incredible). The marketing for the film is really cringe: "The future is female"
I'm pretty left leaning and I think people way the fuck overuse the "SJW" complaints in TV and film. Not that there hasn't been an uptick of it, but ANY mention of feminism or racism and people start bitching, they even see it when it's not there.

But this season of HOC was just absolute, lazy, SJW garbage. She's a female president, so I obviously expected for the show to explore how a female might govern, but they just did it in the laziest, most redundant, and uncreative way possible.
The entire show was about her being a female, and she never did anything in the show to rise above that in the show. It's all they focused on.
What a lot of these writers don't get is to SHOW, not tell. I don't need for the actress to TELL me how strong and female she is---just fucking show her doing it. A well written character is a well written character, no matter their race or gender.

The only midly interesting thing was Doug Stanhope--but I always liked his character. He had a few interesting bits, but , ultimately, it was pretty lame.
There just weren't any other good characters to gravitate towards. And the moronic rivalry they tried to showcase with Claire and that other rich lady was just awful.

I have faith in Marvel. They have had nothing but strong female characters so far, and they've done it without ever having to call attention to it. Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, Okoye, Peggy Hill, Gamora, etc..they have had nothing but believable, strong women.

I just finished this last week and it was pretty craptastic.
I like Robin Wright, but she can't carry this show. And the ultra feminism was just absolutely nauseous because it was done to such a ridiculous , unbelievable level. And the 4th wall scenes just don't work well with her like they did with Spacey.
Wasn't worth the watch, imo.
Exactly my thoughts. I am a completist but this show is seriously making me reconsider that policy. 1 episode to go, gonna power through it to get the checkmark.

Amazing to see how unwatchable it's become. I don't even know what the fuck is going on in most scenes.

I'm pretty left leaning and I think people way the fuck overuse the "SJW" complaints in TV and film. Not that there hasn't been an uptick of it, but ANY mention of feminism or racism and people start bitching, they even see it when it's not there.

But this season of HOC was just absolute, lazy, SJW garbage. She's a female president, so I obviously expected for the show to explore how a female might govern, but they just did it in the laziest, most redundant, and uncreative way possible.
The entire show was about her being a female, and she never did anything in the show to rise above that in the show. It's all they focused on.
What a lot of these writers don't get is to SHOW, not tell. I don't need for the actress to TELL me how strong and female she is---just fucking show her doing it. A well written character is a well written character, no matter their race or gender.

The only midly interesting thing was Doug Stanhope--but I always liked his character. He had a few interesting bits, but , ultimately, it was pretty lame.
There just weren't any other good characters to gravitate towards. And the moronic rivalry they tried to showcase with Claire and that other rich lady was just awful.

I have faith in Marvel. They have had nothing but strong female characters so far, and they've done it without ever having to call attention to it. Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, Okoye, Peggy Hill, Gamora, etc..they have had nothing but believable, strong women.

Sounds exactly what I would expect from them....I probably couldn't sit through it. Sounds pure cringe.

In the MCU they haven't done anything SJW-ish like Star Wars...but Brie Larson's attitude is just... She tried to spin the negative reception of a film by commenting that there aren't enough women of color movie critics:

"I don't need a 40 year old white male telling me what's wrong with A Wrinkle In Time. It isn't made for you. It's made for women of color"

Ummm...no these movies are made for everyone. Anyway, one thing that annoys me about the SJW mindset is that they seem to want more representation of everything non-white except Asian men. Asian men are some of the worst represented in Hollywood, yet I rarely hear these SJW crowds fighting for more representation of Asian men in film and TV. Glenn from The Walking Dead is like the only proper Asian male representation I can remember.

BTW, I am also left leaning, but I've been accused of being alt right by younger millenials (I'm a millenial myself, 1983). So then I guess I am more of a liberal from the early 2000s up until 4 or 5 years ago.

Last edited:
Sounds exactly what I would expect from them....I probably couldn't sit through it. Sounds pure cringe.

In the MCU they haven't done anything SJW-ish like Star Wars...but Brie Larson's attitude is just... She tried to spin the negative reception of a film by commenting that there aren't enough women of color movie critics:

"I don't need a 40 year old white male telling me what's wrong with A Wrinkle In Time. It isn't made for you. It's made for women of color"

Ummm...no these movies are made for everyone. Anyway, one thing that annoys me about the SJW mindset is that they seem to want more representation of everything non-white except Asian men. Asian men are some of the worst represented in Hollywood, yet I rarely hear these SJW crowds fighting for more representation of Asian men in film and TV. Glenn from The Walking Dead is like the only proper Asian male representation I can remember.

BTW, I am also left leaning, but I've been accused of being alt right by younger millenials (I'm a millenial myself, 1983). So then I guess I am more of a liberal from the early 2000s up until 4 or 5 years ago.
Yeah, we're in the same age bracket, so I get what you're saying.
The left has been going more and more left these days...
But, I think my problem is more with their tact, and how they present their message, and less about the message itself.
I don't disagree with the general point that Brie is making about critics.
If all of music critics were old white men, what kind of reviews would rap albulms get? I didn't watch 'Wrinkle in Time', but it didn't seem like a movie that a bunch of old white guys would be into. Her argument is just that the way they see the movie, is not going to potentially be the way that women of color see the movie..and thus we should have more diversity with critics. I don't see how she's really wrong there, besides perhaps how she articulated her argument.

Anyone can of course watch the movie, but certain groups are going to take to certain movies in ways that others don't, or can't.
Everybody can enjoy a movie like Black Panther or Crazy Rich Asians, but those movies are going to have a bit of a different feeling and meaning to blacks and asians, and a black, or asian critic would be able to articulate that better than a old white guy.
And Brie is just an actress--it's not like she wrote Ms. Marvel. I don't expect them to fuck this up, especially with this movie being the one that takes us into the next Avengers movie.

Necro bumping because I just finished this bitch and I'm tight...

tenor.gif

I finished the last episode, was ready for the next, and then realized that was it. I was like
"wtf?! They ended it like that?!!"

• They used waaaaaaaay too much of that breaking the 4th wall shit with Claire Under-- Hale. With Kevin Spacey, it happened once in a while, they made it like a bit of a reward. It was used sparingly, like icing on a cake. I was tired of Robin Wright looking at me every 4 g-damn minutes!

• I always found Robin as underwood overly robotic (even before this season), but couldn't ignore her now.

• The
death of Underwood thing was wack. They didn't have a good explanation behind it really, and the fact that they wouldn't even play the audio of him out loud was corny. It took me out of the t.v. universe and made me remember why he was fired.

• They went (just a tad) bit overboard with the whole female Prez, and "I'm a bad bitch that doesn't listen to anyone and I have abortions every week so IN YOUR FACE!" thing a bit too far. Tone it down a bit.

Idunno, this season was kinda pointless. Like they just made it b/c they had to. It was tough for them to do it without Frank (Spacey). It's like trying to do Sopranos without Tony or Breaking Bad without Walter White. The one motherf*cker they actually choose to punish (out of all of the rapey, pervy actors) and they choose HIM and screw up our show? Come on Hollywood.

So does she talk to camera now?

I stopped watching after season 3 I think. Shoulda ended when he became president. Then they started trying to make me care about the drama of their relationship when what was interesting about it in the first place was how cold and dispassionate they were to everyone else but together they formed sort of a perfect virus.

Yeah, you’ll like it. Don’t watch the first few episodes and think it is Entourage or whatnot. It gets dark and whatnot as you get to know the characters.
Agreed. Rays is the man. I slept on this show for way too long. Im just getting to season 5.

House of Cards is one of the few shows that I stopped watching. Think it was season 3 or 4. It was just terrible and I couldn’t continue.

So does she talk to camera now?

I stopped watching after season 3 I think. Shoulda ended when he became president. Then they started trying to make me care about the drama of their relationship when what was interesting about it in the first place was how cold and dispassionate they were to everyone else but together they formed sort of a perfect virus.

Non-stop!

I agree with what you wrote... all of it!

I watched one or two episodes of S6 and I'm out. I might try to finish later on for sake of seeing it through, but it was pretty bad.

It's sad they ruined a great show just because spacey came out of the closet.

In this whole #metoo era...Quentin Tarantino comes off as having the most integrity. He was very close to Harvey Weinstein. He said he felt sad, angry, and heart broken. He said he tried to reach out to Harvey to talk, but Harvey ignored his calls. He didn't pull the "I never liked him" card the same way Matt Damon did (and I like Matt Damon). Then when Uma Thurman came out and said she was treated poorly by men on the set of Kill Bill resulting in a car crash injury...Tarantino personally helped her in scalvaging old footage for her. Then in an article, the names of everyone involved except Tarantino were redacted. The lynch mob went full crazy and started accusing Tarantino of being a monster. Then Uma Thurman got pissed off at this reaction and told everyone to leave Tarantino the fuck alone.
QT on Polanski
“He didn’t rape a 13-year-old. It was statutory rape…he had sex with a minor. That’s not rape. To me, when you use the word rape, you’re talking about violent, throwing them down—it’s like one of the most violent crimes in the world. You can’t throw the word rape around. It’s like throwing the word ‘racist’ around. It doesn’t apply to everything people use it for.”

I’m not going to watch it. Spacey was why I watched the show. Also not going to watch the Ranch, as Rooster was the only funny character. I predict they’ll try to save these shows, then prolong them for a few seasons to save face and pretend that the reason for the failure wasn’t their knee jerk reactions.

Back