How Accurate are the PunchBoxer Machines in Arcades??

Pro Killer

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I know they are obviously all different and difficult to measure against as some people just take a 10ft run up and hit them, Which to me seems like it would take away power than being set properly?? So it doesnt seem very accurate

But if used by one individual trying to measure their punches does it work??? For example I used one when we went to an arcade 4 days ago and threw a straight (assuming it would be by most powerful punch as I've always thought) and the result was no-where near the top score. I wasn't expecting to get a high score as I was doing it properly but then I wanted a little more. Maybe those people who read my thread about hand positioning on the hook will notice that since I've switched to a vertical fist I've fell in love with the hook so that's the punch I tried next. I went right hook as I wanted to get as much power as possible because I was going against my friend who Boxers (I do Muay Thai Boxing), So this time with the right hook I scored 75% higher than my straight and was within 100 of the tops score, With my third punch I went right hook again and improved upon that. My friend went two straights and then I told him to throw the hook and he also improved.

So I guess what I am asking is are those machine accurate or is it just because the hook is a faster punch that the straight that the score will be higher??

Funny story to add to the thread, I think I may have genunielly got the lowest score on one of those machine for someone trying to get a good one. We went bowling yesterday and this time my friend who's training MMA was with me too, We both went on the machine and because I outscored him hook vs hook he wanted to do Jabs because he has a good jab. So I step up planning my jab, Im going to go for a step in Jab with the corkscrew twist of the wrist at the end as thats What I think is the most powerful jab. Im about to throw and I must have been to consious about where I was going to place my foot because I just clipped the bag and it slowly receeded into the machine, I knew it was going to be bad.
My score was and this is bearing in mind 900s are the highest scores got on these and 830 was the hightest on the machine we were on..... I scored a whopping 10!! Imagine the shame of it!

They are nowhere near accurate for measuring the power behind a punch.

For proof, go up and do a big winding slap, you'll probably get the high score.

I'm unsure as to the exact mechanics of how this happens, but me and my friends had a competition at a bar once, all of us quite proficient strikers, getting within 50 or so points of the top score, and some guy comes up like "wanna know the secret" and just straight arm slaps it, scoring almost as high as our best score.

I don't think it takes actual power into account at all, just the velocity and the surface area you connect with (Faster and higher being better respectively)

Based on what Decado Ice has said, I'd reccomend trying an elbow for the top score

Pro killer, that sounds exactly like the place where I have seen a "PunchBoxer" machine (didn't know it's called that). It's also a bowling alley. Does your place also have a snooker/pool hall?

Anyway don't worry, I've also scored a "10" while trying to do a super good punch!!! Last time I went I beat my previous high score every single time (and the highest score registered on the machine). The highest I got was 800 and something, don't remember exactly.

Because of the arm that connects the punchbag to the machine, the angle that you hit it is important. So I think taller people may have an advantage, hitting down on it a bit. The strongest punches I've seen to it are hammer fists coming from above and going down, and a fedor-style wide swinging hook with inverted fist. That's how I got my highest score.

However, I also wanted to know last time whether maybe my straight punch power had improved (previously it had been pathetic, like maybe 400). And, lo and behold I exactly matched my highest record score with my straight right!!! I am not convinced it was as strong a punch as my swinging hook (doesn't make sense either) and that might be part of the whole story. The machine might be rigged a bit, like many arcade-type machines are. Maybe the score is just approximate.

Either way I was chuffed that my straight punches are stronger now! I didn't try a jab :p

Has anybody ever tried a roundhouse on the back? I am too short and not flexible enough (the bag is at my head height). I guess one could get the best score like that. Maybe a spinning heel kick or something if you are accurate enough!

i had a few goes on one with a tidy right straight I got about 80% of the max score, then some fat guy stepped up and did a big haymaker with a long runup and maxed it out.

we've been duped guys! if you wanna punch hard just become fat and take runups!

its more about speed than power with those things, if you slap it hard enough you can get a good score, my favorite though, spinning backfist

I know they are obviously all different and difficult to measure against as some people just take a 10ft run up and hit them, Which to me seems like it would take away power than being set properly?? So it doesnt seem very accurate

But if used by one individual trying to measure their punches does it work??? For example I used one when we went to an arcade 4 days ago and threw a straight (assuming it would be by most powerful punch as I've always thought) and the result was no-where near the top score. I wasn't expecting to get a high score as I was doing it properly but then I wanted a little more. Maybe those people who read my thread about hand positioning on the hook will notice that since I've switched to a vertical fist I've fell in love with the hook so that's the punch I tried next. I went right hook as I wanted to get as much power as possible because I was going against my friend who Boxers (I do Muay Thai Boxing), So this time with the right hook I scored 75% higher than my straight and was within 100 of the tops score, With my third punch I went right hook again and improved upon that. My friend went two straights and then I told him to throw the hook and he also improved.

So I guess what I am asking is are those machine accurate or is it just because the hook is a faster punch that the straight that the score will be higher??

Funny story to add to the thread, I think I may have genunielly got the lowest score on one of those machine for someone trying to get a good one. We went bowling yesterday and this time my friend who's training MMA was with me too, We both went on the machine and because I outscored him hook vs hook he wanted to do Jabs because he has a good jab. So I step up planning my jab, Im going to go for a step in Jab with the corkscrew twist of the wrist at the end as thats What I think is the most powerful jab. Im about to throw and I must have been to consious about where I was going to place my foot because I just clipped the bag and it slowly receeded into the machine, I knew it was going to be bad.
My score was and this is bearing in mind 900s are the highest scores got on these and 830 was the hightest on the machine we were on..... I scored a whopping 10!! Imagine the shame of it!

My lead hook is my hardest punch no doubt. The round nature of the punch let's you use more of your core to generate power. Makes sense to me man. I spent some time researching accelerometers hoping I could rig up my own punch - o - meter. In the end it would have cost me too much. There is an iPod app that uses the iPod touches accelerometer to measure youi punch speed. I think it works decent. I outscored all my buddies at work, they don't train and all looked super awkward punching.

Not accurate at all.

I was messing around with it the other day and found if you punch it at a more upward angle (like your trying to push the bag bag into machine) it generates a lot more "power."

Or as someone else said, just run up and slap it. A lady friend of mine who weighs probably 110 lbs soaking wet and never threw a punch in her life hit 800ish consistently by getting a running start and clubbing it with both of her hands clasped together

A lady friend of mine who weighs probably 110 lbs soaking wet and never threw a punch in her life hit 800ish consistently by getting a running start and clubbing it with both of her hands clasped together

That's some badass fighting technique. Captain Kirk must have taken out hundreds of aliens that way.

Not accurate at all.

I was messing around with it the other day and found if you punch it at a more upward angle (like your trying to push the bag bag into machine) it generates a lot more "power."

Or as someone else said, just run up and slap it. A lady friend of mine who weighs probably 110 lbs soaking wet and never threw a punch in her life hit 800ish consistently by getting a running start and clubbing it with both of her hands clasped together

If 110 lbs came running at you at full speed with a double axe handle it probably would generate a decent amount of power though, so that doesn't really speak to the accuracy of the machine.

Seems to me like this thread is full of guys who thought they hit harder than they really do.

If 110 lbs came running at you at full speed with a double axe handle it probably would generate a decent amount of power though, so that doesn't really speak to the accuracy of the machine.

Seems to me like this thread is full of guys who thought they hit harder than they really do.

LMAO! very true! :icon_lol:

The most damning evidence against their accuracy - I saw something on Youtube with Criss Angel once, may have been a clip from his show. He had GSP and Rampage on there and got a higher score than either of them.

remember those arm wrestling machines?!

LOLOLOLOLOL HOLY SHIT YES!!!!

198c910f8427836db18bd4e04c02ed4c.jpg

We used to have a tv show here iin the 90s called gamesmaster it was about console and arcade games. I remember they had a sonic blast man challenge between boxers frank Bruno and barry mcguigan they both maxed it out if memory serves

I honestly laughed so hard at this. Hahahahaha freaking true!

I work at a bar/restaurant right now. We have this little arcade area with all of these games kids can play while their parents eat and parents to play when they're shitfaced while their kids play at home.

Anyway, this one time our punch machine broke and we had to call in someone to repair it (because no arcade near a bar is worth it without being able to measure who of your bros is the manliest) and I got a chance to just kind of hang out with the repair guy and ask him how the thing worked and if it was even accurate.

According to him, the concept is the same across all machines. You hit the bag and it rebounds off of a pad on the back and it "measures" how many "units" of force is thrown into the pad. There are techniques to best hit it for a high score, but I honestly don't remember that part lol.

The thing is, very rarely are two machines calibrated the same. Someone who scored 900 could score 700 on another machine and someone who scored 300 on one machine could score 700 on the next. There's no standard unit of measurement when it comes to the actual number, it just in relativity to the machine.

So really, it's only "accurate" if you and your friends only compared scores on one machine. And even then, some techniques of hitting it score higher than others. All the scores are true in relativity to each other, so long as it's the same machine you all played on.

Based on what Decado Ice has said, I'd reccomend trying an elbow for the top score

I tried an elbow and my score dropped down about 250-300 points lol

It really cant be that accurate IMO me and a bunch of my buddies tried it,i got the highest score and nobody could even come close.

Im like 5'5 and weigh around 140 pounds,so naturally nobody wanted to give up til they beat my score.None of us have any training and im sure we were all out of shape :D

These guys are like 5'8+ and the closest in weight to me still had close to 40 pounds over me.lol

Within 3 tries each from 5 guys,i had scored the highest at 819 IIRC

And tried the elbow but my score was not too good lol

Not accurate in the slightest. I did an elbow on it once, like a pushing elbow and it went to 995. Meanwhile, one of my friends punched it as hard as he could and topped at 750

Back