How appliacble is fencing to real sword fighting?

footgod

Black Belt
Reaction score
I started reading a book by Joel Rosenberg where predicatbly three fencing students get tansported to another world and they are great swordsmen due to their fencing training
Anyone buy that?

I can defintely see kendo or aeris tranlating very well but I am unsure about fencing
then again I don't know much about it

im pretty sure fencing has a bunch of different types of swords. its just the competition fencing (olypic stuff) uses those pansy ass toothpicks. pretty sure the art coveres larger 'sabre' type swords as well

I think it would help. But there's a noticeable difference between those little fencing toothpicks and a huge longsword where you can crack your opponents head open right down the middle

I always wondered how you could stop a fully armored knight with a battleaxe using a rapier.

Fencing doesn't seem physical enough. I'm sure ancient badasses were crushing heads with shields, and kicking people in the balls to set up the kill. Fencing only relies on the sword, not the other aspects of melee combat.

In a time when we have hand guns, I find both fencing and real sword fighting not applicable

Fencing is good. though lack of lateral movement and zones of attack make it unrealistic.

Classical / Historical fencing is the most accurate to real swordfighting, though most classical fencing clubs are a joke. The best are in europe and run by people with legit olympic fencing training who supplement with historical fencing books.

I always wondered how you could stop a fully armored knight with a battleaxe using a rapier.

Move around him, time his swings, stick the long pointy sword into the eyeslot in his visor / under the armpit when he swings / the back of his kneecap if you get behind him. Pretty much anywhere there isn't plate armor.

I don't think you would use fencing on the battlefield. That's a different kind of fighting.

Move around him, time his swings, stick the long pointy sword into the eyeslot in his visor / under the armpit when he swings / the back of his kneecap if you get behind him. Pretty much anywhere there isn't plate armor.

Exactly. You would have to be far more proficient at what you do than the knight at what he does in order to emerge victorious. The only way you can win is by getting behind the guy or hitting him with an uber-precise shot, both of which require a significant gap in skill levels.

I'm curious the last time here on planet Earth that two people actually fought with swords.

Exactly. You would have to be far more proficient at what you do than the knight at what he does in order to emerge victorious. The only way you can win is by getting behind the guy or hitting him with an uber-precise shot, both of which require a significant gap in skill levels.

Agreed brah. If you watch the longsword technique vids I posted, they showcase certain moves that the user grabs the end of the sword and grapples with the enemy.

This was when you were in full plate armor. The objective was to grapple the enemy, bring him to the ground, and holding the sword at the point (which makes it easier to manuver in small places ei the helmet visor) and give a coup de grace.

I'm curious the last time here on planet Earth that two people actually fought with swords.

Every year there's a story about two people fighting with swords somewhere. This year it was in the US IIRC and it was a father and son dueling in their backyard with a saber and some civil war sword. Neither of them were injured, but some female that was there was fatally wounded when she tried to break it up.

Agreed brah. If you watch the longsword technique vids I posted, they showcase certain moves that the user grabs the end of the sword and grapples with the enemy.

This was when you were in full plate armor. The objective was to grapple the enemy, bring him to the ground, and holding the sword at the point (which makes it easier to manuver in small places ei the helmet visor) and give a coup de grace.

I gotta watch those vids. I'm not gonna lie, what you described sounds really m.etal

Wow swordfighting is intense man. It's highly technical and one mistake gets you killed.

I gotta watch those vids. I'm not gonna lie, what you described sounds really m.etal

It's intense stuff, and there are lots of videos about it on youtube. You just have to sift through the LAARP kids, the wanna bes, the nerds who buy expensive swords and the retards swinging around wall hangers, and then you'll find people who genuinely practice medieval fighting systems. There's one place near me called the " higgens armory " that I'd like to check out and take some courses.

Is a sword the best p4p melee weapon?

What would are some of the best loadouts for a pre-firearm foot-soldier?

Is a sword the best p4p melee weapon?

What would are some of the best loadouts for a pre-firearm foot-soldier?

Depends on your body type, knowledge, ability and situation

If you're small, smart, fast and dexterious and not fighting enemies in plate armor, a rapier would be best because it increases your reach and already high manuverability.

If you were fighting a knight on a horse you'd want a spear to keep them at a good distance, to kill the horse and trap the knight under it, and to strike at small targets.
Against a regular armored knight, a war hammer / mace to bludgen the knight's helmet.

Every weapon in medieval times had a specific use.

I'm most interested in bronze/early iron age battles. Alexander the great was badass.

Back