How appliacble is fencing to real sword fighting?

Depends on the type of fencing I think. Saber fencing would seem more applicable against other swords and styles. Although my cousin who fences showed me some techniques and I could barely even see what he was doing. Lost count of how many times he stabbed me. So I can't say that it doesn't have it's uses.

Depends on the type of fencing I think. Saber fencing would seem more applicable against other swords and styles. Although my cousin who fences showed me some techniques and I could barely even see what he was doing. Lost count of how many times he stabbed me. So I can't say that it doesn't have it's uses.

for dueling one on one the epee would be the most effective. as a military weapon the saber is more flexible.

I started reading a book by Joel Rosenberg where predicatbly three fencing students get tansported to another world and they are great swordsmen due to their fencing training
Anyone buy that?

I can defintely see kendo or aeris tranlating very well but I am unsure about fencing
then again I don't know much about it

I just asked a nationally ranked fencer this question last month.

He said that it depends upon the particular style of fencing they do. Certain types are more applicable to actual killing. It also depends upon their bloodlust. Being able to stab a guy to death and actually doing it are two VERY DIFFERENT things. Lastly, their physical ability is a factor meaning that, beyond the sword, the person has to be of sufficient athletic ability to perform well in a scrap.

So how does the "Twilight" series end, by the way?

Meh. Right of way.

for dueling one on one the epee would be the most effective. as a military weapon the saber is more flexible.

Counterexample - Pattern 1796 English Sabres vs the lighter French blades, capable of efficient thrusting. Grievous wounds doesn't necessarily equate to battlefield efficiency nor mortal wounds, as I understand it.

Meh. Right of way.

Counterexample - Pattern 1796 English Sabres vs the lighter French blades, capable of efficient thrusting. Grievous wounds doesn't necessarily equate to battlefield efficiency nor mortal wounds, as I understand it.

can you expand?

can you expand?

On the lack of internal consistency of the rules of modern sabre fencing as it would apply to an actual sword fight or the efficiency of the English cut versus the French thrust?

On the lack of internal consistency of the rules of modern sabre fencing as it would apply to an actual sword fight or the efficiency of the English cut versus the French thrust?

The rules in sabre have changed a lot but the techniques are the same- the fencers have little trouble adapting-so not an issue. are you saying that the english cut was more effective than the french thrust?

The rules in sabre have changed a lot but the techniques are the same- the fencers have little trouble adapting-so not an issue.

Not an issue for you because you've got an emotional investment.

are you saying that the english cut was more effective than the french thrust?

No. Exactly the opposite.

The English cutting sabres were particularly infamous for causing grievous wounds and most probably immediately incapacitating, but often as not, the wounds they caused were battlefield survivable. The English trained for stiff, wide armed cuts, aimed for the head, shoulders and arms. The results have been written about in many sources, including stories of men surviving missing parts of their skull, etc.

On the other hand, the French emphasized the thrust and had adapted their weapons to match their mentality. The French aimed for the torso and while the wounds caused by the thrust looked much less fierce, these wounds were much more likely to cause death.

This fits with my experience and what I've seen in terms of machete wounds vs knife wounds. It also leads to something I mentioned in this thread : Who else carries a blade at all times?.

I've seen people survive horrific machete wounds, so long as the skull wasn't laid completely open and the torso wasn't deeply pierced. Unless the blow lands directly on someone's exposed neck, there are very few places to cut someone that will result in immediate death. The ribcage, due to it's structure, provides a remarkable amount of protection - which is something that the samurai knew. Any of you who have done kendo, iaido or related jutsu forms in kata have practiced the diagonal upstroke, which is specifically meant to ride the gap between ribs.

Anyway, that's for assaults. It changes when it's mob violence, because then it's people chopping downwards on a person who's on the ground. Even then, I've seen people survive very serious machete mob violence, depending on the country and the type of machetes that are commonplace and whether or not anybody had the presence of mind to stab with the tip. Then the rules change. I alluded to this in a post in this thread earlier.

OTOH, knife wounds tend towards stabbings aimed at the torso and these tend to be much more serious in an immediately life threatening way.

I think this post is long enough, so I'll stop here.

I've heard that fencing is the most realistic and effective of all swordfighting styles, as it's passed directly down from European sword masters

when you learn martial art you can apply technic for fight with other item too.
after 2.39 min this master will show you how to use wooden sword with fencing skill

YouTube - Muay Chaiya Master - Kru Yhing

True. I remember a show where they had two of Britains best supermiddle weight ex-boxers training to fight like roman gladiators with short swords, Chris Eubank and Nigel Benn. The speed that they not only picked up but became very accomplished with those swords astounded their experienced trainers who had themselves been mastering their gladiatorial combat techniques for years.

A lot of the skills and attributes you develop at becoming a top level fighter in one art can be readily transferable to fighting in another art. Albeit these guys were amongst the best in the world in their day.

True. I remember a show where they had two of Britains best supermiddle weight ex-boxers training to fight like roman gladiators with short swords, Chris Eubank and Nigel Benn. The speed that they not only picked up but became very accomplished with those swords astounded their experienced trainers who had themselves been mastering their gladiatorial combat techniques for years.

A lot of the skills and attributes you develop at becoming a top level fighter in one art can be readily transferable to fighting in another art. Albeit these guys were amongst the best in the world in their day.

I agree with you but would like to add that boxing is based on principles from fencing. James Figg brought fencing principles to boxing and helped transform it into the modern sport it is.

Back