How bad does MMA mess up your hands?

Straightcross

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You rarely hear fighters talking about it, the amateur guys I know all have one or two fingers that are so fucked up from grappling in gi and punching people they basically feel pain every time they punch

I mean, if you can’t throw a punch without hurting your hand, maybe combat sports isn’t for you

Igor Vovchanchyn had to retire do to all the problems with his elbows from all those overhands he'd throw on bigger guys. and i know Fedor has broken his thumb countless times because of how he punches.

pretty bad. especially the bellator cards when my hands start to chafe because the dirty yellow feet from the fighters are so visible

oh, never mind, I misinterpreted the question.

I mean, if you can’t throw a punch without hurting your hand, maybe combat sports isn’t for you

it's not a single punch that does it, it's the accumulative damage of the 10s of thousands of punches they throw in sparring, bag work, shadow boxing, fights etc.,

look at Floyd, he broke his hands so much that he changed his style. but that doesn't mean boxing isn't for him, after all, he's undefeated.

Depends on your opponents bone density of course but it can generally fuck up your knuckles if your heavy handed and lean your body weight into the punch when you throw. Your more at risk of fracturing your knuckles with an overhand or cross than a jab. That's why alot of people just go 75% ish when they fight.

I think it has more to do with punching technique than it has to do with brittle hands. Take Urijah Faber for example. Not a fragile dude, constantly broke his hands. Note his punching technique wasn't the cleanest. Not to mention Ludwig recently came out saying Faber is stagnant, refuses to evolve.

Boxer's knuckle is a bitch. If you practice any art that involves punching long enough, you'll deal with it eventually.

Shit hurts like a motherfucker

You rarely hear fighters talking about it, the amateur guys I know all have one or two fingers that are so fucked up from grappling in gi and punching people they basically feel pain every time they punch
When ever I fap too hard for a HW fight between two big boys my hand will be sore for days.. especially if it goes 5 rounds

Bad.

Notice how veteran BJJ guys often have bent fingers, or how boxers have problems with their hand and wrist flexibility.

I have trigger finger in my left pinky from boxing, and have sprained plenty of wrists and fingers. A lot of hand injuries comes from punching with bad technique, but what people forget is that when you're throwing hundreds upon thousands of punches a years, you're going to throw the odd punch that doesn't land well. Especially in sparring. I'm a guitar player as well and I have to be pretty cautious with how I train now of days because of how easy hand injuries can happen.

pretty bad. especially the bellator cards when my hands start to chafe because the dirty yellow feet from the fighters are so visible

oh, never mind, I misinterpreted the question.

You need help dude.

This helped me:

-xjwhffrqQV-0cS_TaacocoqtG2Ka0A3Om71jy9_jKLwZhugtUgXhQbORR7yFX7htp6mePhnL5MfcAWxUeqC46deubV6nPlUhaAAD5LRAd9VaN4dVxiVX2o5_UrrH5R32NXTiiNwEBowJ6Bq=w255-h341-nc

Depends on the fighter but you'll leave in worse shape then you came in for sure.

Bad.

Notice how veteran BJJ guys often have bent fingers, or how boxers have problems with their hand and wrist flexibility.

I have trigger finger in my left pinky from boxing, and have sprained plenty of wrists and fingers. A lot of hand injuries comes from punching with bad technique, but what people forget is that when you're throwing hundreds upon thousands of punches a years, you're going to throw the odd punch that doesn't land well. Especially in sparring. I'm a guitar player as well and I have to be pretty cautious with how I train now of days because of how easy hand injuries can happen.
yea ive had surgeries on my hands and they have never been the same. ive fucked mine up drunk fighting tho, its never a good idea. then not letting them heal properly and continuing to train hit bags and stuff. I guess it all depends how smart you are about it, but regardless its still going to take its toll

Ask Uncle "Claw hand" Creepy.

mma fucks up your whole body

boxing > mma

Michael MacDonald is essentially retired because of consecutive hand injuries and ongoing problems related to that.

As an ammy fighter speaking, I struggle with my wrists and thumbs. My right wrist just gets jammed up and hurts from certain training sessions. I always end up working through it and loosening it up but some days suck more than others.

I hope I don't have hand and joint problems like many fighters do, but time will tell

Threads like this make me respect the wisdom of traditional martial arts more over time. Yes its true that we cant hang with MMA guys in a fight BUT my body is healthier over time and I dont have any problems due to taking multiple shots to the head and breaking hands on opponents and such.

Back