How bad would a young 28 year old prime Romero Yoel Romero have beat Whittaker?

imagine how badly whittaker would have beaten romero if he wasn't injured in both fights!

ohhh hell Romero of 3 years ago would have smoked him bad .The stupid thing is UFC slept on him because of his english . Go back 3 years how did Wideman get ahead of Romero .
Weidman's title shot was only a couple of months after Yoel's UFC debut which was his first fight at MW. Rockhold and Jacare were still ahead of him in the line when Weidman lost the belt.

Young prime Romero would have no MMA experience, so he would suck.

However, he’d most likely nearly kill a 14 year-old Whittaker, and would do a good stretch of prison time for it.

It's insane that the guy beat the crap out of Rob at the age of 41. He has endurance issues because of his very old fighting age and has to use a very low energy/ output fighting style because of it. Because of his age he can't even use his biggest weapon, wrestling anymore, because it consumes too much energy for a 41 year old. On top of that he has admitted himself that he was much more explosive and fast when he was younger, even more than now. At the age of 41 he did this to a prime Whittaker, who has twice the striking experience.:
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

How would a young, prime Romero who was even more explosive than he now is without cardio issues, a Yoel who could use his wrestling, have done against Whittaker? He would have started with mma earlier.

I say a brutal knockout inside 3 rounds for Yoel after a domination.
A fully trained Yoel in his 20s would destroy any MW that ever walked gods green earth.

It's insane that the guy beat the crap out of Rob at the age of 41. He has endurance issues because of his very old fighting age and has to use a very low energy/ output fighting style because of it. Because of his age he can't even use his biggest weapon, wrestling anymore, because it consumes too much energy for a 41 year old. On top of that he has admitted himself that he was much more explosive and fast when he was younger, even more than now. At the age of 41 he did this to a prime Whittaker, who has twice the striking experience.:
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

How would a young, prime Romero who was even more explosive than he now is without cardio issues, a Yoel who could use his wrestling, have done against Whittaker? He would have started with mma earlier.

I say a brutal knockout inside 3 rounds for Yoel after a domination.
A fully trained Yoel in his 20s would destroy any MW that ever walked gods green earth.

I understand your theory, and maybe you're right.....but.
If Yoel had been training MMA at that time...maybe he wouldn't have the same wrestling pedigree.
Whitaker maybe wouldn't have had to train for the takedown as much ....maybe he could throw more bombs like Yoel gets to throw because of the takedown threat he presents today.
We'll never really know.

Romero had already won gold in the world's and Silver in the Olympics at age 23. He remained an elite level competitor until 2007 when he retired. He wasn't getting better at wrestling at age 28 though. Just slowly getting slightly worse as his athleticism very slowly declined. Yoel is obviously the biggest freak athlete ever in the UFC. One of the craziest athletes ever really. I think people would be naive not to think he would have been a world champion easily had he started training before he was an old man. I mean he's knocking on the door at 41 fucking years old.

I think TS is talking about a scenario in which Yoel got into MMA earlier, and fought Robert when he was at his physical prime with the skills he has today.

In that scenario, which is aimed at taking away unfair advantages, you'd also have to give Robert the wrestling coaching Yoel had that led him to the Olympics (and Cuban wrestling coaching is very good, much better than Australian), coaching that Robert never had when he was younger.

Hard to say then, because both would be very different fighters than they are today.

he wasn't a complete MMA fighter at 28. Also he didnt have as many years of 'special supplements' under his belt so he's probably stronger now than he was then.

what if's don't work with MMA, there's too many known and unknown factors

what if Rob didn't break his hand early in the fight?

If we was that age with already some years of mma training and experience then well he'd probably be throwing people around

well Whittaker would have been 13 years old so Yoel probably would have won easily.

More fair comparison would be how would Yoel have done against the UFC Champion that is in his age group. Anderson Silva comes to mind, and Silva would have only needed his left hand to kick his ass.

I guess you meant his left hand and his dick pills too right??

Romero had already won gold in the world's and Silver in the Olympics at age 23. He remained an elite level competitor until 2007 when he retired. He wasn't getting better at wrestling at age 28 though. Just slowly getting slightly worse as his athleticism very slowly declined. Yoel is obviously the biggest freak athlete ever in the UFC. One of the craziest athletes ever really. I think people would be naive not to think he would have been a world champion easily had he started training before he was an old man. I mean he's knocking on the door at 41 fucking years old.
Good points.
Don't get me wrong....as an MMA fan, I'd love to see where he could have been in the UFC.
Championship wrestling credentials since !997...1999ish. Could have been a stellar run.
Unfortunately we'll never know.
That's the frustration of being a fight fan.

Back