How Big a gun do you need to take down a angry Grizzly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im wondering how close that grizzley would get to me if I started hitten him at 15 yards with my 9mm? Ive got 15 bullets in the clip and if I hit him good I would be suprised if he had much fight left in him once he got to me all filled up with 15 rds. Of course, Id then proceed to fedor his ass if I couldnt get the second clip in.

Id be going with straight up fmj 115 grain. If that sucker managed to sneak up on me id definetely want the 45 auto.

My dad nailed his first black or brown bear last year, he hit it with a 30-30 from a tree stand up in NE washington. That sucker did take off though, and I think it made it 40-50 yards fer he dropped dead. He got him through the right shoulder missed the heart but went through the lung and out the front. So shot placement would be vital.

Darwin award. All your going to do is piss it off. We'll look for you on the news.

It's not about caliber at all. It's about shot placement. You could have the biggest gun in the world but if you don't hit the vitals its not going down.

When I was in Alaska hunting grizzly,my guide carried a Mossberg 590 Mariner (cause of the moisture) 12 gauge with 3" Slugs for up close.

I took a pretty pissed off bear with my custom 30-06 with 250 grain shells pushing 2300 feet per second. My back up was Buffalo Bore loads in a 44 Magnum.

Bear went down with one shot from the 30-06.

30-06 with 250 grain has pretty wicked knock-down power though so even though its a smaller calibre you can kill a lot bigger animals. This is what I hunt moose with.

Darwin award. All your going to do is piss it off. We'll look for you on the news.

In all honesty, its tottally wasteland but its fun to shoot the shit about. Anyhow, of course your gonna be a nervous wreck but at least with a 9 you got 15+1 and hopefully you could come close enough to hit the fuzz in the dome. A 9mm will go through its skull and knock it silly instantly. Question is would you be good enough to get the dang thing running at you from 15-25 yards out? Id defenitely want the 45 auto but believe it would drop instantly with a head shot with a 9mm. Any caliber will need a head/heart shot to stop it instantly. Even with a 8+1 45 auto hes gonna keep coming tell he bleeds out, or goes into bear shock.

Id take the Kodiak with a 30-06 otherwise. Give me an ak47 with 30 rds and were talkin some grizzly b-strap fer supper!

Im wondering how close that grizzley would get to me if I started hitten him at 15 yards with my 9mm? Ive got 15 bullets in the clip and if I hit him good I would be suprised if he had much fight left in him once he got to me all filled up with 15 rds. Of course, Id then proceed to fedor his ass if I couldnt get the second clip in.

Unless you hit it in the head, he would probably charge you and kill your ass. An animal (including humans) can go 30 seconds with a completely destroyed aorta, so even if you destroy it's heart it will still have 30 seconds to charge 15 yards and destroy you in some cases. If you HAVE to shoot a bear at 15 yards with a 9MM, then go for the head and move. Don't sit there, get off the x. Move and shoot (unless you have excellent cover/concealment). Oh, and as far as unloading 15 rounds into a bear...who is charging you...good luck man. Under the stress you will be under it will be near impossible to get decent shot placement...especially if you are being smart and moving away from the threat. Unless of course you have mastered shooting under stress/have taken alot of FOF courses. You fight with the gun you have, not with the gun you want to use. So if all you have is a pistol and are going through bear country, then you are most likely a dumb fuck or suicidal.

As far as "Fedoring" a bear, good luck with that. It's a much better idea to train and master your reloads than it is to try to go H2H with a fuckin' bear.

In all honesty, its tottally wasteland but its fun to shoot the shit about. Anyhow, of course your gonna be a nervous wreck but at least with a 9 you got 15+1 and hopefully you could come close enough to hit the fuzz in the dome. A 9mm will go through its skull and knock it silly instantly. Question is would you be good enough to get the dang thing running at you from 15-25 yards out? Id defenitely want the 45 auto but believe it would drop instantly with a head shot with a 9mm. Any caliber will need a head/heart shot to stop it instantly. Even with a 8+1 45 auto hes gonna keep coming tell he bleeds out, or goes into bear shock.

Id take the Kodiak with a 30-06 otherwise. Give me an ak47 with 30 rds and were talkin some grizzly b-strap fer supper!

9mm was designed for self-defense of two legged animals, as was 45 auto. Have you ever felt the thickness of a bear's skin? 9mm is barely going to penetrate. 7.62x39mm out of an AK probably won't penetrate deep enough because no one makes solids for it. Most of which are hollow points designed for humans. You just need to pick the right tool for the job. You defend yourself with self-defense guns and you hunt with hunting guns.

'06 is the way to go. You can down load it to 110 grains for coyotes and popping ground hogs, or load it all the way up 250 for the dangerous game. Most versatile cartridge out there.

You defend yourself with self-defense guns and you hunt with hunting guns.

+1000.

This thread seems amatuerish for the most part. That should end the thread and all stupid scenario's too.

"I wonder if I could kill a bear with a .17hmr if I shot it 3,000 times".

Shot placement is important, like many have said. But that is just common fucking sense. The problem is that things are very likely to go the way you expect them too, and then you get mauled by a bear.

I agree with the poster who said nothing less than a .44 mag for a handgun. I mean, you could definitely kill one with less, but there is a difference between lethality and stopping power. 9mm? Lol. I'd probably just play dead instead of try to take down an angry grizzly with a 9mm. :p

Anyone here know of the .455 webley mark III? That is an interesting bullet if one is discussing stopping power. Though its penetration probably wouldn't be adequate for a grizz, it is supposedly one of the best manstopping rounds ever. The interesting thing is, its velocity is only like 650 fps., but a bullet weight of 17.2 g. It makes me leery of people who discuss velocity like it is the end-all of stopping power.

Most likely its angry because you startled it or its an ambush situation. Either way there's a damm big critter that can sprint as fast as a horse thats about to make you its next meal..

I wouldnt use anything less than a 300mag would rather have a 338 BAR just so I have a chance of getting back on target for another shot before it gets me.. There is a BIG difference between angry and non-angry... To be brutatly honest the 270 and 30-30 folks are nothing more than speed bumps..

the bigger the better, I use 300 bolt action for hunting, I shot a moose twice through the lungs and through the through the liver and I still had to chase him down. If it were a grizzly coming at me I'd want a massive boomstick. big bore lever guns are sweet.

A slingshot might be helpful, you could hit it anywhere and it will drop instantly

When an angry Grizzly is barreling down on me, I dont think Id want to leave anything too chance.

A high power rifle and a nicely placed round in one of its eyes should bring it down for the count. But if you miss.....lol.

bears are known to have oblique skull shapes that deflect on coming blows, and if i recall correctly national geopgraphic once stated that the average bear can take a .306 to the head and it would ride the skull instead of penetrating it.

12 guage wouldnt be able to stop its charge, but it sure as hell would fubar a grizzlys face.

i'd feel pretty secure with a fully loaded AK if a grizzly bear was charging at me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back