How big was tupac back then?

Came here to say something similar.

I grew up listening to him. Huge fan since i was 5th grade but the guy was very unstable.

In his interviews (some) hed come off as some civil rights activist and have great things to say then the next interview talking ghetto and west coast vs east coast feud.

Just like his music... One track "changes" touchy feely next track "hit em up"... Its like really? Guy makes no sense. Complains in one track about crime and the tough in ghetto and wants change in one song and then in another actually promotes the very thing he proclaims to detest.

But i suppose i act the same too
He was many things all at once, trying to balance them somehow.

At the same time, It's a world of masks and sometimes you have to play a certain role at times just to survive In your environment.

He lived a pretty complicated life. He basically lived under the threat of death for the last 3 years of his life as well, which only added to the craziness.

his best songs are his least played / least known songs.
Agreed. I love Old School, it’s a super respectful song especially considering how coastal everything ended up getting.

I listened to a lot of Tupac back in the era when I was a teenager but I’ve recently started listening to it again and as an adult, it’s actually so much more socially conscious than I could have grasped as a teen.

He was surprisingly aware and intelligent, we just tend to forget how young he was. Of course he was torn. He was 24 when he died. All of the lyrics that are seemingly contradictory are the personification of a young man wanting to see things improve but also enjoy the celebrity life while not losing the edge that got him there.

I wish we could have seen what he would have done.

Agreed. I love Old School, it’s a super respectful song especially considering how coastal everything ended up getting.

I listened to a lot of Tupac back in the era when I was a teenager but I’ve recently started listening to it again and as an adult, it’s actually so much more socially conscious than I could have grasped as a teen.

He was surprisingly aware and intelligent, we just tend to forget how young he was. Of course he was torn. He was 24 when he died. All of the lyrics that are seemingly contradictory are the personification of a young man wanting to see things improve but also enjoy the celebrity life while not losing the edge that got him there.

I wish we could have seen what he would have done.
he was definitely wise beyond his years

there are layers to his songs that evolve depending on our own awareness. They tend to continue to surprise people more as they get older / wiser as humans themselves.

Definitely a lot of contradictory elements to his personality, which seems to be a common theme amongst these high level public figures In general. He was a unique individual for sure.

Should listen to a lot of his unreleased / less known songs.

Last edited:
He was big when he was alive. Unfortunately - as happens with many celebs after they die - he's been made to be this martyr/saint. You'd think he was one of the creators of the world the way people talked about him after his death.

While I liked his music, he was also one of the biggest dindus and hypocrites in rap music ever.

Anyone who actually grew up in that era, such as myself, would tell you he was a known commodity by the early 90s, before death row. We all seen juice, and that's really how most of us knew 2pac. I didn't hear his actual music till about 93 when his 2nd album dropped and I heard the song, holla if ya hear me, and then he really started to hit my radar in 94 when above the rim came out. You have to understand, music was nuts back in the early to mid 90s, so much so that it's difficult to explain to kids today just how many great artists and bands there were. Tupac was more known for his public image than his music at times, but I think more people began to take notice around his me against the world days, then of course....1996 was pretty much the year of Pac.

I was always more of an East coast head, even though I grew up on the west, however, as I got older I appreciated what he was trying to get across more and more. He was the first guy in my opinion who could make a rap album that had a song for literally everyone, his persona was larger than life, and if you listened to some of his interviews, you could tell that his thought process was well beyond his years. One of the last artists who had guts.

Yeah odd name for a supposed "WEST COAST MC" who made his living dancing.

Yeah assaulting women and shooting cops is so cool bro. It's almost like he wanted to die to become a real west coast G! He was very smart though and politically when he wasn't rapping he had some compelling things to say.

Not even close. His rhymes were basic in his peak and super basic today. Not even a top 10 rapper at any point in time.

Thanks for your hate.

Huh ...he was born in ny and spent a lot of time there. People always said he was a coast to coast artists in that he was loved all over .

The alleged rape was just that. In fact most authorities even admitted that girl was making shit up. That whole incident wreaked of a set up and in her own interview done recently she came off as a habitual liar.

The cops he shot were undercover and were apparently harassing another guy on the streets, they pulled, he pulled, not knowing they were cops....dude was defending a guy he thought was being roughed up ....it's called being a proactive citizen. There's a reason he got off.....you're acting like all cops are good, lol

It seems to be split three ways between:

People who were born in the 80's and came of age in the 90's saying he wasn't that great, but still good. This is where I fall.

People born in the 90's and came of age in the 00's saying he was the greatest.

And people who dislike hip-hop/rap.

Pac in 1996 was the most controversial entertainer period. Kind of like tekashi 69, but with actual talent. Just like tekashi he had a presence, and made so many enemies that you knew he was either going to end up in jail for a very long time or get killed. Unfortunately it was the latter.

Tupac > any rapper in the last 20 years.

I'm being honest here I wouldn't recognise any of his music. Not my genre of choice. What's his most well known song? I'll take a listen.

You've more than likely heard "California Love", I'd say it's probably one of the biggest mainstream songs he did, but not his best. He did a pretty cool video for it that was a homage to Mad Max.

I like "Life goes on". Changes is a good song and another of his bigger/more mainstream hits.

He was convicted shit head.

No.

Yet the facts remain as I stated.

Most overrated posthumously of all time.

People who worship Tupac immediately show their limited knowledge of music.

A woman sucks ur dick in public goes home with you and you get convicted... something wrong with that. And how is he overrated? He connected with more people then any other rapper in history. From all walks of life, like Michael and and Elvis. You dont have to like either of em' but u cant deny that fact

im 32 today and been listening to pac since I was about 10 years old, damn time flies by so fucking fast man, now im not from the USA but as a immigrant foreigner in Sweden we kind of related to the blacks and rap a lot as minorities, me and all my friends were all into pac and biggie growing up wanting to be a G, im still listening to some of his songs every now and then and still get the same feelings today..

Anyway to me, pac always was and always will be the man when it comes to rap, his anger and passion, voice and flow/delivery is unmatched imo.

RIP 2Pac !

Same here brother, and I'm 33 and from France.
Was Pac a real gang banger?

No, he was rather an outsider, with homies everywhere, a soldier for the community.

The Vatican had Tupacs "Changes" in their 12 song playlist which included Mozart.

It seems to be split three ways between:

People who were born in the 80's and came of age in the 90's saying he wasn't that great, but still good. This is where I fall.

People born in the 90's and came of age in the 00's saying he was the greatest.

And people who dislike hip-hop/rap.
Lol maybe you should switch people born in the 80's to people born in the east

You've more than likely heard "California Love", I'd say it's probably one of the biggest mainstream songs he did, but not his best. He did a pretty cool video for it that was a homage to Mad Max.

I like "Life goes on". Changes is a good song and another of his bigger/more mainstream hits.

Yes I've heard the California song and it wasn't too bad.

Back