How can the US people force the government to reject Saudi Arabia?

I agree that SA is complete shit, but if you think that Iran is our friend then you are a lunatic. They exporting their own ideology and terrorism across the world.

As for what we can do about the problem that is a very difficult question to answer. We can't invade everyone and the problem goes much deeper than a particular country. The real problem is an evil ideology which dominates the minds of 20% of humanity.

That is a bad post. Why wouldn't he buy a Tesla if it came to that?

The fact that he isn't driving a tesla now or that he isn't protesting day and night against the Saudis does not mean that he couldn't adapt or that he would regret a regime change.

With your mentality there isn't much point in discussing politics at all is there?
It has already came to that. His choice is made. Regime change huh? Where have I heard this before?

It's a problem with power retention being more important to public officials than abiding by their own moral judgment.

Your argument is: you don't live "off eh grid" and cease communication with organized society, therefore you are not willing to pay $1 more for gas so that death, oppression, and terrorism drastically declines and literally hundreds of millions of peoples' lives improve.

Ok.

Great logic.

Also, Saudi Arabia is pulling Egypt right with Wahhabi proselytizing.

It's a problem with age-old alliances. Few of the countries involved like each other or see eye to eye on many things, but upsetting the balance is a consequence continually pushed forward in the hopes that a resolution will evolve given enough time. I mean that's the reality of everything and it's not just a US problem. Russia doesn't care for half of its alliances either.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Conservatives won't reject Saudi because its fundamentally a conservative country, just as liberals are pro Iran as its the most secular Muslim country.

Iran seems to be more of a threat to Israeli hegemony in the region

Conservatives won't reject Saudi because its fundamentally a conservative country, just as liberals are pro Iran as its the most secular Muslim country.

The left and right generally agree, that Saudi Arabia is a big turd. One of the few things I see most people agreeing on.

There are no ambiguities as to how I feel about Donald Trump, but one of the admittedly many areas of optimism that I held for Trump's rise and subsequent presidency (besides curbing lobbyism, normalizing healthcare discussions, and working for American laborers-- all completely lost causes) was the possibility that he would boorishly reject the nuance of the diplomatic history between the United States and Saudi Arabia and rally support against them for reasons that are, well, completely obvious.

But that did not happen, and Trump slobbed the knob of the Saudi family like every other president has done. That is despite the fact that the US intelligence community knows for a fact that (1) Saudi Arabia is by far--and it's not close--the biggest ideological exporter of terrorism, (2) Saudi Arabia is also by far the biggest financial backer of Islamic terrorist organizations, (3) Saudi Arabia is home to the fiercest anti-American sentiment in the Muslim world, despite being our ally, (4) Saudi Arabia is home to the world's strictest, most conservative, and least peaceable Islamic ideology, and (5) Saudi Arabia is the most oppressive, least democratic, and most human rights abuse-ridden country in the Middle East.

Now, last week, Trump gave a speech espousing aggression towards Iran (a much more secular, much less abusive, and far less terroristic state) on the basis of claims more much readily attributable to Saudi Arabia (anti-democracy, hostility, etc.), showing that there is still institutional and popular resentment of those qualities. Yet, the Donald has gone completely silent on the Saudi family since he got in a catty twitter spat with one of them during the GOP Primary.

We know, across Republican and Democratic voters, there is no love for Saudi Arabia and a universal preference for rejecting international ties with them, therefore showing that our relationship is distinctly at odds with democratic sentiment. So, as we inch toward military engagement with Iran, Saudi Arabia's enemy and a country much more amenable to American values, what path forward is there toward not only rejecting Saudi Arabian diplomacy, but affirmatively displacing their oppressive state?

Its in our interest to keep close relations because of the activities of some Saudi citizens in funding terrorism. Cutting them off would only make the problem worse and give more Saudis more reason to carry out these sorts of activities.

Selling them outdated military tech keeps them in our pocket and cripples their ability to wage any sort of protracted war.

To say Saudi is the biggest financial backer of terror group is saying US is the biggest financial backer of terror groups. Where do you think Saudi gets their money from? From you and me. We buy gas from oil companies who pay Saudi to extract it from their land. We're the biggest terrorists!! Without us the terrorists would not have money to bomb us.

Remind them it's full of brown people?

When the US people have no issue with the price of gas rising higher.
Not just that but think about all the harm SA and the other Gulf states are doing to us while being our ally, imagine the harm they could possibly do if they weren't allied with us.

Plus, they would enrich countries like Russia if they were buying all their weapons from them.

It's an extremely difficult situation to deal with.

Not just that but think about all the harm SA and the other Gulf states are doing to us while being our ally, imagine the harm they could possibly do if they weren't allied with us.

Plus, they would enrich countries like Russia if they were buying all their weapons from them.

It's an extremely difficult situation to deal with.
Until oil stops being such a highly necessary commodity where we do not need it as much and the Saudis aren't nearly enriched by it as they currently are, there's no way to come out clean.

If we a democracy, and representative republic, then any public rejection of something should automatically be transferred to our gubment. No need to force the gubment to do it.

But I think we already have examples of the people not liking something, yet gubment doing the opposite. So I guess we need to ask is our gubment really ours, the people, or do they answer only to select group.

The left and right generally agree, that Saudi Arabia is a big turd. One of the few things I see most people agreeing on.

I wouldn't say that. Many conservatives view Saudi as their ideal model for society albeit Christian as opposed to Muslim. Low taxes for the wealthy and a theocracy with violent punishments against those who question the rule of law.

I wouldn't say that. Many conservatives view Saudi as their ideal model for society albeit Christian as opposed to Muslim. Low taxes for the wealthy and a theocracy with violent punishments against those who question the rule of law.

I've never seen the idea of Saudi Arabia being a model to follow in all of my political travels

Back