How cheap exactly is beer?

Rod1

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
So i went to an "expendio" (minimalistic store that sells mostly beer from one of the big brands) and saw an special sale where a 12 pack of regular Budweiser was going for 100 pesos (around $5), thats cheaper than a 12 pack of coke.

Now Budweiser is made in the USA but it must pay the proper taxes at the border, which in Mexico its 22% for beer and 16% for VAT. That translates to the final price being around 30% taxes.

So that leaves 70 pesos to cover for everything, from the raw materials to the energy in production and transport, to the profits in all of the distribution chain. So how much do you think beer actually costs to make, as in the liquid itself?

TLDR;

An American can of Busiweiser beer costs US$ 0.31 before taxes at retail in Mexico, how much do you think the can costs to make?

You coulda had a pabst blue ribbon for 50 pesos.
giphy.gif

<seedat>

Was it imported or manufactured in Mexico? I figured budweiser had plants everywhere, but I could be wrong.

I used to be able to buy King Cobra 40s for 32 cents

A 12-pack of Bud here is more like $14. Right now Tecate is on sale for just under $10.

Was it imported or manufactured in Mexico? I figured budweiser had plants everywhere, but I could be wrong.

This. They don't export it from the US, It's made locally.

Budweiser is probably dirt cheap to make.

A 12-pack of Bud here is more like $14. Right now Tecate is on sale for just under $10.

$14? That's shitty.

I'm not sure what it is here but it's going to be cheaper than $14. Personally, I usually roll with Olympia. I can get a 12-pack for $7.

$14? That's shitty.

I'm not sure what it is here but it's going to be cheaper than $14. Personally, I usually roll with Olympia. I can get a 12-pack for $7.

A buck per beer is good around here. I think Heineken is like $18 for 12.

It's over 20 bucks for a 6 pack of buds here. <JRSmith40>

I assume you're talking Australian dollars. According to a currency converter I just found that would make it about $16 US. That's for a SIX PACK?

That's crazy as hell. How much for a six pack of cheap local beers?

The absolute cheapest for 6 pack is prob $12USD from a big shop in bumfuckville. But if we talking a close bottle shop in the city 15USD
Australia is taxed out it's ass. I think cigarettes are about 25Usd
I assume you're talking Australian dollars. According to a currency converter I just found that would make it about $16 US. That's for a SIX PACK?

That's crazy as hell. How much for a six pack of cheap local beers?

18 pack of Miller lite costs me $14 and change here

The absolute cheapest for 6 pack is prob $12USD from a big shop in bumfuckville. But if we talking a close bottle shop in the city 15USD
Australia is taxed out it's ass. I think cigarettes are about 25Usd

At those prices, I would just have to embrace sobriety.

This. They don't export it from the US, It's made locally.

Nope, it says made in the USA in the can.

Mexican beer is actually more expensive than American beer, and there is a huge ass Corona plant in my city.

Nope, it says made in the USA in the can.

Mexican beer is actually more expensive than American beer, and there is a huge ass Corona plant in my city.

NAFTA

MEXICAN FANS OF US BEER MUST WAIT 8 YEARS FOR NAFTA TO LOWER PRICES
ROBERT L. KOENIG | Aug 16, 1992 8:00PM EDT

Print

Loyal Budweiser drinkers in Mexico City may be raising a toast to the North American Free Trade Agreement - but it could be years before they see much of a drop in their bar tab.

That's because it would take eight years after the trade pact goes into effect before Mexico's 20 percent tariff on U.S. beer is eliminated. The tariff would drop gradually between now and then.Meanwhile, those who have a taste for Mexican beer won't see much difference at the supermarket checkout line when they buy six-packs of Corona, experts say. That's because the U.S. tariff on Mexican beer - which also would be eliminated under the trade pact - is now less than 2 percent.

While Anheuser-Busch Cos. and other big breweries said they welcomed any reduction in the Mexican beer tariff, some officials were a bit disappointed that the trade pact takes eight years - rather than the five years some U.S. brewers sought - to eliminate it.

"Mexico's 20 percent tariff on imported beer is far higher than it imposes on any other import and double its weighted average for all imported products," said Stephen K. Lambright, vice president and group executive of Anheuser-Busch in St. Louis. "This puts American beers at a severe price disadvantage in the Mexican market."

Mr. Lambright said the brewery had backed "efforts to quickly eliminate that (Mexican) tariff."

A congressional source said the pact's beer provisions - one of the final details to be ironed out by negotiators - would lower the Mexican tariff on beer to 16 percent for the first two years but will reduce that tariff only gradually until the eighth year. The U.S. Trade Representative's office could not provide details.

"Eight years is a ridiculously long time to get that beer tariff down," said House Majority Leader Richard A. Gephardt, D-Mo. "Corona and a lot of other Mexican beers make lots of money in our market; I think our beers ought to have an equal footing in Mexico sooner than this trade agreement provides."

According to U.S. Commerce Department statistics, Mexico shipped 42.5 million gallons of beer to the United States last year, while U.S. beer producers sent 5 million gallons of beer to Mexico. The top-selling Mexican beer here is Corona, trailed by Tecate and Dos Equis.

Anheuser-Busch officials, citing proprietary reasons, declined to say how much beer the brewery sells in Mexico. But an industry source said Anheuser- Busch sells more beer there than any other U.S. brewery, with Miller Brewing Co. of Milwaukee ranking second. A spokeswoman for Coors Brewing Co. in Colorado said Coors does not sell much beer south of the border.

Once the Mexican tariff drops significantly, Anheuser-Busch expects to sell more Budweisers in Mexico. The brewery introduced Budweiser to Mexico in 1989 through an export agreement with Modelo SA, the largest Mexican brewer.

A recent Anheuser-Busch publication said, "Budweiser continues its strong performance" in Mexico. But one industry analyst said, "The Mexican tariff has held down sales by raising Budweiser's price. There is a big potential market in Mexico for U.S. beers because Mexicans seem to like light-tasting beers rather than heavier European beers."

Richard Klemp, director of government affairs for Miller in Milwaukee, said Mexico "is obviously a growing market, and we look forward to expanding there."

Mr. Klemp said Miller officials "would have preferred that the Mexican beer tariff be eliminated as quickly as possible."

Miller now distributes its beers in Mexico through a Mexican tequila company, Mr. Klemp said. While the trade pact is a long way from final approval, he said, "It is likely that, in the long run, American beers would be priced more competitively in Mexico."

The cost for beer is almost entirely labor, so obviously it would be cheap in places where labor is cheap.

If you go off of GDP per capita, beer should be 7 times cheaper in mexico, which makes $5 for a 12 pack expensive.

The cost for beer is almost entirely labor, so obviously it would be cheap in places where labor is cheap.

If you go off of GDP per capita, beer should be 7 times cheaper in mexico, which makes $5 for a 12 pack expensive.

Except it's made in the States.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DREDATORXXXXL
Back