How come every wrestler in the late 90s/early 00s had the same finisher?

Brom Bones

Where's that little soy boy, bitch Ichabod?
@Black
Reaction score
Stone Cold Stunner
Diamond Cutter
Twist of Fate
Chart Buster
Apocalypse
3D
RKO

Now I know the difference between a cutter and a stunner, but in my opinion, they're pretty much the same thing. Just variations on the same basic move. Didn't this seem strange to anyone else? Why did this happen?

it was like that in the early to mid nineties. Every guy 6'5" or taller had a power bomb or some variation as their finisher

Most talented young prospects ended up with the Overdrive coming out of OVW. Such a horrible finisher lol

No respect to the Ace Crusher? I'm dissapointed in you, TS.

Rude Awakening.

Show some respect.
Rude Awakening was a neck breaker where the opponent's head was facing up. I'm talking about where the guy's face is down.

How about any wrestler that used a variation of Bret Hart's sharpshooter or Sting's scorpion deathlock at least once in their career?

Owen Hart
The Rock
Shawn Michaels
Tyson Kidd

So many finishers are knee strikes or kicks nowadays

The DDT went from a finisher to a regular move, smh

I remember a lot of guys having a Chokeslam as their finisher. The nastiest one was either Scott Hall, or Sid Vicious and his one handed chokeslam.

I was watching some 80s era WWF. I noticed the go-to heel move to win a match when it wasn't their finisher was the feet on the ropes rollup or the hot shot. If a heel landed this move in 80s era WWF, it got the 1-2-3. I wonder how WCW differed since Austin used it as his finisher there.
iFVj-P.gif

Every wrestler?
You name 7, what about the other 500 wrestlers who wrestled for major promotions in the late 90s/early 00s?

There would be 10x more wrestlers using a powerbomb, or top rope splash.

Kanyon Cutter! He can deliver this a million different ways! You never see it coming! Kanyon Cutter! Kanyon Cutter! Kanyon Cutter!

One generation's finishers, become the next generation's high spots.

There are a few things in play here. One is that there are never a ton of varying finishers being done, they tend to fall into a few categories. Add to that the eventual diminishing returns in fan response when moves are overused, kicked out of and overshadowed by bigger, more impressive attacks.

In the 80s/early 90s you had a bunch of guys (hogan, warrior, one man gang, earthquake) who ran up and jumped on their opponents to put them away. They didn't climb the ropes or anything, but they were big guys and got big impact. But, 10 years later the only guy still scoring wins that way was hogan, and lots of guys were hitting similar moves from the top rope.

You've also got the trending effect of one person's popularization of a finisher. If the powerbomb or the stunner, as examples, become associated with big match wins, the move gets used broadly to end matches.

So, you've got limited amounts of stuff you can safely do to an opponent, further restricted by physical limitations in executing the move against bigger opponents. Then you've got the ups and downs of fans response, inflating the value of some moves while deflating others.

Look closely they are all pretty different and have a margin of effectiveness between them.

Remember when finishers were finishers. Those were the days. When someone actually kicked out u were shocked

Back