How come no one bought Kevin Lee's hype

I remember multiple threads before UFC 216 how Kevin Lee had no chance and the fight will be a mismatch, i think now everyone respect Kevin Lee as a fighter.

He is not overrated, he was massively underrated before 216.
Most people are on some hive mind shit.

a few of us gave him credit where It was due though

there was like 50 thread the week before with ''kevin ''the goat'' lee'' etc they just died with his lost
There's more people than ever acknowledging Lee as probably being a future champion. Dude gets more respect than ever these days

The Rogan/Schaub/MMA media push (or suggestion) to make stars is a crapshoot. Rarely a fighter gets this type of effort to convince fans that someone's the next superstar, so Lee should be happy, but it doesn't mean fans will see it the same way. It's just a push, a try. Conor didn't need a push, he became huge quickly because he brought in a fan base.

At least this effort shows you can't shove something arbitrary down fans throats. Can't force it, has to happen naturally. I've never seen someone with 10 fights in the UFC with his best win being a non top 5 guy being lauded as the next cash cow.
Fighters make themselves Into stars. the Push can only do so much

Fighters make themselves Into stars. the Push can only do so much

This Lee hype along with Ronda doing no MMA media and still pulling 1 mil gives insight on how little the masses are influenced by these same guys.

This Lee hype along with Ronda doing no MMA media and still pulling 1 mil gives insight on how little the masses are influenced by these same guys.
takes time man

Lee's a potential star but even for me, he didn't really alert my radar until I heard him speak prior to the Chiesa fight.

Stars take time to build, It doesn't happen over night. Ferguson was really the first fight Lee has had so far that was In public awareness.

Ronda's star had been building long before she even got to the ufc.

takes time man

Lee's a potential star but even for me, he didn't really alert my radar until I heard him speak prior to the Chiesa fight.

Stars take time to build, It doesn't happen over night. Ferguson was really the first fight Lee has had so far that was In public awareness.

UFC's history shows otherwise, though. GSP had a strong fan base before MMA was really popular. He's a big reason why fighting became sanctioned, and then big, in Canada. Same for Conor & Penn. Brock had his WWE fans. Ronda was a media darling.

Then a tier below you have Anderson, who only really became popular late in his UFC run. Chuck was thought to be boring before his rivalries with mainly Tito and a more friendly trilogy with Randy. Jones who had a bunch of stuff that made him a 300k-close to a mil draw, also depending on the opponent. Rampage for knocking out Chuck in the rematch for US popularity.

Lee's better than his record shows, and will be a mainstay top 5 fighter, but him being the next Conor was forced and he'll have to go on a serious run to get into that 2nd tier, while 1st tier would've already happened.

Lee and Tony can't draw numbers. No one knows these people outside of the hardcore fans of the sport.

Casuals barely know either of these guys.

That's why tony is begging for a Conor payday fight.

UFC's history shows otherwise, though. GSP had a strong fan base before MMA was really popular. He's a big reason why fighting became sanctioned, and then big, in Canada. Same for Conor & Penn. Brock had his WWE fans. Ronda was a media darling.

Then a tier below you have Anderson, who only really became popular late in his UFC run. Chuck was thought to be boring before his rivalries with mainly Tito and a more friendly trilogy with Randy. Jones who had a bunch of stuff that made him a 300k-close to a mil draw, also depending on the opponent. Rampage for knocking out Chuck in the rematch for US popularity.

Lee's better than his record shows, and will be a mainstay top 5 fighter, but him being the next Conor was forced and he'll have to go on a serious run to get into that 2nd tier, while 1st tier would've already happened.
All of those guys were not stars and doing big numbers Immediately. It took time for them to build their brand. He's definitely not the next Conor but he's comparable to where Conor was earlier on in his UFC career.

Star potential, but not quite there yet.

Skill wise Lee certainly looks like a future champion so we'll just have to see with time.

Plenty of people did. Did you not see the many Kevin Lee avs prior to the fight?

I predicted 180k buys. Black Beast fucked up my prediction.

He talked himself into a title shot while barely being ranked in top 15. So neither he nor the UFC give a shit what any of you marks buy in to or not.

Got knocked out by Leonardo Santos, although I will say his burn of Michael Johnson was amazing

Loads bought into it lmao. These forums were awful for the final week leading upto the fight.

Glad Tony put him down.

This place is full of dorks. The PPV buys speak for themselves, nobody gave a fuck about that shit PPV.

[

Off the top my head i'd put the following streaks above Tony's in terms of impressiveness:
Cowboys big streak streak that included Alvarez and Bendo.
RDA's smaller streak of 5 wins that included Bendo, Diaz, Pettis & Cerrone
Edgar's streak to the LW title (imo he should have also got the nod against Bendo)

Tony's streak reminds me of Sean Sherk , he'll come unstuck against the first real sign of quality.... imo.
rda, barboza, and lee aren't quality?

are people really that far up conor's ass that they think talking shit for promotion is mcgregor's style?

y'all motherfuckers have forgot

575f1f8043839.jpeg

are people really that far up conor's ass that they think talking shit for promotion is mcgregor's style?

y'all motherfuckers have forgot

575f1f8043839.jpeg

Chael made 185 at 6'2. Kevin Lee can't make 155 at 5'9. He also got beaten by the best 155er shit talker & hardest hitting east of Chicago.

Back