How dangerous is it to use a bag without gloves

Ive been training for 40 + years. I have rarely ever used hand wraps. I have never had a wrist injury and have only had a few broken digits from bare knuckle sparring. My secret: 1. Learn to make a proper fist. By that I mean a "karate" fist that is intended to actually strike an object without injuring the striker. and 2. learn proper technigue. Spend months striking "air" before transitioning to striking objects. Progress to a striking a makiwara post gently with excellent form, and progress slowly over the course of the next few years. Suppliment the makiwara striking with less than full power strikes to a VARIETY of bags and mits. DONT do all of your striking full power on a heavy bag.
This system is tried and true and has been implemented for hundreds of years. It works.

1. So the guy should spend MONTHS (Half a year? a whole year?) striking air instead of just protecting himself with gloves?? You will improve a lot faster if you actualy train for real instead of passing a year striking air...

2. I tryed to find what did you mean by ''karate fist'' and I didnt find anything... but if you think karateka knows how to punch better than boxers, you are just even dumber than I thought.

3. As someone stated before, its not because something has been used for hundreds of years that it means it is good. Conservatism is usually a very bad thing.

So when you learn to play music you spend how much time practicing chords before diving into learning a whole song. Tradtionally, the learning of any craft or art was an endeavour that took years upon years of painful, tedious, and yes boring practice of the basics. I understand the modern demand for instsnt restlts....and the "gotta have it now mentality"......but thats not how I learned or how I teach.
YES....you should spend months kicking and punching air before attempting to strike an object. YES....you should progress to striking a "karate post". Hit wiki for "makiwara" if you are interested. And there IS physiology and science behind these ancient methods...ever heard of Wolfs Law? The properly trained fist undergoes permant physical transformation through this type of rigorous training. I realize that there are examples of grossly deformed knuckles out there.....this is not what is meant. Yes, knuckles get bigger and some calous's form....the fist takes on a square apperance. I stopped hitting the makiwara 20 years ago...my fist is as strong as ever.

I failed to mention in my original post that in addtion to the striking training discussed....that you must ALSO rigorusly strengthen your hands, wrist and forearm. Bruce Lee was fanatical over this. Finger push ups, thumb push up, rope climbs, grip work.......ALL of this is equally important. This is how it was done all the way back to the Shaolin temple and Bodiharma.
If you take the time to train properly, you get stronger, little by little, every day. If you train the way of hand wraps and heavy bag pounding, every day you get weaker and eventually you break. your choice.
And yes^...I do believe a well trained Karateka can punch better than a boxer. In a bare knuckle bout, I bet you too know whos punch will hold up longer.

So when you learn to play music you spend how much time practicing chords before diving into learning a whole song. Tradtionally, the learning of any craft or art was an endeavour that took years upon years of painful, tedious, and yes boring practice of the basics. I understand the modern demand for instsnt restlts....and the "gotta have it now mentality"......but thats not how I learned or how I teach.
YES....you should spend months kicking and punching air before attempting to strike an object. YES....you should progress to striking a "karate post". Hit wiki for "makiwara" if you are interested. And there IS physiology and science behind these ancient methods...ever heard of Wolfs Law? The properly trained fist undergoes permant physical transformation through this type of rigorous training. I realize that there are examples of grossly deformed knuckles out there.....this is not what is meant. Yes, knuckles get bigger and some calous's form....the fist takes on a square apperance. I stopped hitting the makiwara 20 years ago...my fist is as strong as ever.

I failed to mention in my original post that in addtion to the striking training discussed....that you must ALSO rigorusly strengthen your hands, wrist and forearm. Bruce Lee was fanatical over this. Finger push ups, thumb push up, rope climbs, grip work.......ALL of this is equally important. This is how it was done all the way back to the Shaolin temple and Bodiharma.
If you take the time to train properly, you get stronger, little by little, every day. If you train the way of hand wraps and heavy bag pounding, every day you get weaker and eventually you break. your choice.
And yes^...I do believe a well trained Karateka can punch better than a boxer. In a bare knuckle bout, I bet you too know whos punch will hold up longer.

Okay,wait...

I trained in three styles of karate pretty seriously, and I see the value of traditional training for the sake of physical/mental/spiritual development, self-discipline, fun and learning about Asian culture. I respect the fact that you're trying to do things the traditional way, but I think you're dead wrong about heavy bags.

I've used a makiwara. The ones I used didn't offer nearly the degree of resistance a heavy bag does.

Hit a 70-pound heavy bag hard for 20 or 30 minutes a few times a week with wraps and gloves, your fingers, hands, wrists and arms will get stronger. Wolff's Law -- bone density increases in response to heavy loading/impact -- why would that not apply to someone punching the hell out of a heavy object? I was just watching the movie "When We Were Kings" -- there's training footage of George Foreman brutalizing a heavy bag, down at the bottom end where the filling is really packed in tight. His shots leave a cavity big enough for a bird to build a nest in -- you think he was getting weak from training?

Bruce Lee hit heavy bags, sand bags and wooden dummies, all of which offer much greater resistance than a makiwara.

In my (admittedly limited) experience in boxing/kickboxing classes, students are started on heavy bag training almost immediately because it's so central to the training, and it's not that difficult or dangerous. The menu of techniques is relatively small, and there's more time devoted to executing them. There's no NEED to make students wait for months before hitting solid objects. Boxing is all about what's practical.

You were not hitting the heavy bag hard when you were 12 years old. You might have been hitting it as hard as you could, but you were not hitting it hard. You shouldn't tell people this.

TS you need to wear gloves, and there is no reason or need to condition your knuckles.

Lol sorry I know how to hit properly and am not a fragile puscake like some of you.
Posted via Mobile Device

No I would hit it pretty hard but its not as hard as gym heavies it was cheaper and on the ground not hanging from the ceiling.

So you're not actually hang banging then, are you? Big difference between hang banging and a weeble wobble.

YES....you should spend months kicking and punching air before attempting to strike an object.
This is how it was done all the way back to the Shaolin temple and Bodiharma.

Wrong. False. Uncorrect. Lacking in veracity.

Just a bunch of generally inaccurate and useless information.

So you're not actually hang banging then, are you? Big difference between hang banging and a weeble wobble.

When I was 12-14 ya. Now I "hang bang"
Posted via Mobile Device

I do believe a well trained Karateka can punch better than a boxer. In a bare knuckle bout, I bet you too know whos punch will hold up longer.

We are done talking... not that the rest of your post made more sense, but this is just plain stupid and it's just impossible to argue with someone thinking like you.

You probably received too much punches in the face from bare knuckle fight over the course of your 40+ years of training and you can't think correcly anymore. Or you just have no idea what you are talking about because you passed 30 of those 40 years striking air.... I feel pity for you.

Stupid karatekas.

As you get older I think your hands will tell you that this is a bad idea.

Your hands will not speak words but will use sign language.

Personally, I emptied my heavy bag and filled it with bricks and I don't use gloves.

I just focus my ki around my hands.

Just saiyan.

We are done talking... not that the rest of your post made more sense, but this is just plain stupid and it's just impossible to argue with someone thinking like you.

You probably received too much punches in the face from bare knuckle fight over the course of your 40+ years of training and you can't think correcly anymore. Or you just have no idea what you are talking about because you passed 30 of those 40 years striking air.... I feel pity for you.

Stupid karatekas.

sounds to me like you are scared of the shoryuken... i would be too... that shit hurts...

Personally, I emptied my heavy bag and filled it with bricks and I don't use gloves.

I just focus my ki around my hands.

Just saiyan.

Seriously you dont know how close to the truth that is! I trained SD mainly openhand for years then my interest curved to bare knuckle focused punching,for pre-emption(lower hands)or a few stunning shots to escape,Ive been practicing about eighteen months and ive just filmed a clip on my 30lb sandbag and I train under this guy:icon_chee

YouTube - ‪kaarl52's Channel‬‏

and heres my clip:icon_neut

YouTube - ‪Bare knuckle focused punching/conditioning on a sand bag and phone books‬‏

I hope to reach 30 by the time im 70,well thats my aim:)

I'm over 9000 last time I checked with my scouter.

I've heard that using a heavy punching bag is very dangerous if you do not wear bag mits. On the other hand, I want to condition my hands and wrists(But not break them). Should I wear mits?

Is that you Brian??

Back