How dangerous is it to use a bag without gloves

Work on a heavy bag only in large gloves. Take care of your wrists.

Obviously depends on how you are punching the bag.
If you haven't been striking very long and you just try to throw haymakers at the bag then you will fuck your hands up.
If you are throwing punches with 50% power and with good accuracy/technique then you will be fine.

Hitting a bag with bag gloves only poses about the same risk of sprain. Plus, if your hands sweat a lot, the sweat can soften up the skin on your knuckles, which can lead to tearing your skin. I used to wail on a heavy bag with bag gloves, and about once a month I'd lose a dime-sized chunk of skin off my middle knuckle. Hurt like hell,and I had to stop punching with that hand until the skin grew back.

I love my rival bag gloves but you're 100% right about that knuckle tear. Going to pick up heavy bag specific gloves soon.

Thread is six years old, OP hasn't posted since 2011.

I've heard that using a heavy punching bag is very dangerous if you do not wear bag mits. On the other hand, I want to condition my hands and wrists(But not break them). Should I wear mits?

Start off slow and light. Focus on correct hand placement and locking the wrist... You can slowly increase speed and power over the weeks/months and you'll likely feel results. But make sure you're using a lighter/less dense bag. If it's too heavy for you to see the impact curve, it's too heavy for you to punch without gloves.

Oh, and don't do this at the end of training when you're tired. You're more likely to have jelly arms and accidentally sprain your wrist.

not dangerous ,but your hands arent going to feel too good afterwards if its the water weight bag heavy weight bag you should be fine if you go easy

To me no danger to you possibly big as in twisting your wrist and cutting your skin.

Generally, for heavy bag sessions, you should wear heavy bag gloves and wraps. Reasons: injury prevention; joint health; increased work capacity; decreased discomfort; etc.

Punching bags without gloves forces you to punch properly and is not necessarily bad for your joints or more injury prone. It just means you have to form a proper first and have real punching technique.

Back