How Dems take back the supreme Court post Trump. Court packing, and FDR.

Is adding additional justice seats a good idea?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VivaRevolution

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Roosevelt announces “court-packing” plan

On February 5, 1937, President Franklin Roosevelt announces a controversial plan to expand the Supreme Court to as many as 15 judges, allegedly to make it more efficient. Critics immediately charged that Roosevelt was trying to “pack” the court and thus neutralize Supreme Court justices hostile to his New Deal.

During the previous two years, the high court had struck down several key pieces of New Deal legislation on the grounds that the laws delegated an unconstitutional amount of authority to the executive branch and the federal government. Flushed with his landslide reelection in 1936, President Roosevelt issued a proposal in February 1937 to provide retirement at full pay for all members of the court over 70. If a justice refused to retire, an “assistant” with full voting rights was to be appointed, thus ensuring Roosevelt a liberal majority. Most Republicans and many Democrats in Congress opposed the so-called “court-packing” plan.

In April, however, before the bill came to a vote in Congress, two Supreme Court justices came over to the liberal side and by a narrow majority upheld as constitutional the National Labor Relations Act and the Social Security Act. The majority opinion acknowledged that the national economy had grown to such a degree that federal regulation and control was now warranted. Roosevelt’s reorganization plan was thus unnecessary, and in July the Senate struck it down by a vote of 70 to 22. Soon after, Roosevelt had the opportunity to nominate his first Supreme Court justice, and by 1942 all but two of the justices were his appointees.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/roosevelt-announces-court-packing-plan

I just wanted to share this with those who are not aware.

I really do think Republicans fucked up stealing that supreme Court pick from Obama.

Under normal circumstances I would not support Court packing. It is cheating. It isn't how the game is supposed to be played.

These aren't normal circumstances. The Republican party has no issue with shattering long held political norms. Well niether should the Dems.

Hey Bernie, or Warren, whoever the 2020 nominee is. You might want to start talking about court packing, because I think the left is furious at that supreme Court pick being stolen, and I don't think they would have any issue stealing the whole supreme Court in return.

Discuss......

I feel like all future supreme court decisions will be decided by the bible and major corporations

Well if that’s the game we’re playing maybe Trump would just preemptively pack the court

Well if that’s the game we’re playing maybe Trump would just preemptively pack the court

Go ahead, it is a zero sum game. You make 15 supreme Court justices, the next makes 31, the next 63, ect.

It will just make it so that whoever wins the presidency, wins the supreme Court as well.

Go ahead, it is a zero sum game. You make 15 supreme Court justices, the next makes 31, the next 63, ect.

It will just make it so that whoever wins the presidency, wins the supreme Court as well.

You know, before the left started legislating from the bench, people viewed judges as impartial. Many republican appointed judges were very fair and many even left leaning on many issues. After the left dropped all pretense of being impartial in the courts, everything has devolved.

You know, before the left started legislating from the bench, people viewed judges as impartial. Many republican appointed judges were very fair and many even left leaning on many issues. After the left dropped all pretense of being impartial in the courts, everything has devolved.

Lol, the most damaging decision in the history of this country, in Citizens United, was pure legislation from the bench, and a restructuring of our country through emporer supreme Court.

That was done by Republicans.

You guys put our whole country up for sale. It is a fucking disgrace.

hiya VivaRevolution,

I really do think Republicans fucked up stealing that supreme Court pick from Obama.

if by "fucked up", you mean they bagged the Democrat's nuts and took'm home with them, i agree.

Mr. Mcconnell showed tremendous chutzpah, for sure. at the moment, i do not believe the GOP believes that they "fucked up".

Under normal circumstances I would not support Court packing. It is cheating. It isn't how the game is supposed to be played.

These aren't normal circumstances. The Republican party has no issue with shattering long held political norms. Well niether should the Dems.

Hey Bernie, or Warren, whoever the 2020 nominee is. You might want to start talking about court packing, because I think the left is furious at that supreme Court pick being stolen, and I don't think they would have any issue stealing the whole supreme Court in return.

Discuss......

circumstances are normal, Viva. we had an election, Mr. Trump won.

the way to get back the SCOTUS is to get a Democrat in the White House...and then wait for Thomas and Alito to leave the bench.

*counts on his fingers*

if Mr. Trump ends up naming the replacements for Justice GInsburg and Breyer, i think the Democrats could reshape the court sometime in the early 2040s, maybe.

its just going to take time.

- IGIT

hiya VivaRevolution,

if by "fucked up", you mean they bagged the Democrat's nuts and took'm home with them, i agree.

Mr. Mcconnell showed tremendous chutzpah, for sure. at the moment, i do not believe the GOP believes that they "fucked up".

circumstances are normal, Viva. we had an election, Mr. Trump won.

the way to get back the SCOTUS is to get a Democrat in the White House...and then wait for Thomas and Alito to leave the bench.

*counts on his fingers*

if Mr. Trump ends up naming the replacements for Justice GInsburg and Breyer, i think the Democrats could reshape the court sometime in the early 2040s, maybe.

- IGIT

Uhh, no.

Obama was elected. Obama was the president when the supreme Court seat was vacated.

The Republicans cheated to stop his appointment.

It is time to cheat back.

Lol, the most damaging decision in the history of this country, in Citizens United, was pure legislation from the bench, and a restructuring of our country through emporer supreme Court.

That was done by Republicans.

You guys put our whole country up for sale. It is a fucking disgrace.
Lol. Not Dred Scott or Plessy vs Ferguson.

Yeah, that totally won’t blow up in your face...

Who cares?

Trump has proven that their is no blowing up in people's faces.

Their is no community, their is no activism. Who is going to stop them from doing what they want?

Uhh, no.

Obama was elected. Obama was the president when the supreme Court seat was vacated.

The Republicans cheated to stop his appointment.

It is time to cheat back.

ahoy VivaRevolution,

i don't really feel like they cheated, i guess.

they used a parliamentary move to block Mr. Obama's appointment, and had the support of the country (in terms of seats in the US congress) to do it.

ballsy and NHB caliber stuff, to be sure, but legal.

- IGIT

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

If I were Dems and I wanted more federal and state level power, I'd move back toward the center and slap down the racial/sexual identity politics on the fringes. Shouldn't be too hard to pull the Midwest back into the Democratic fold. We have a good system and it has allowed the left to accomplish a good many of its goals over the past century. Shake off the desperation and panic and play the long game.

- IGIT

or some democratic nutbag assassinates are few of them to speed up the process... wouldn't put it past anyone to think like that...

ahoy VivaRevolution,

i don't really feel like they cheated, i guess.

they used a parliamentary move to block Mr. Obama's appointment, and had the support of the country (in terms of seats in the US congress) to do it.

ballsy and NHB caliber stuff, to be sure, but legal.

- IGIT

And how is court packing different then that?

Seems like just a legiative move.

Who cares?

. Who is going to stop them from doing what they want?

The flood of older republicans who will show up to vote after you seriously threaten the Supreme Court. You’re talking numbers you wouldn’t see outside of presidential elections.

or some democratic nutbag assassinates are few of them to speed up the process... wouldn't put it past anyone to think like that...

hiya SaiWa,

i try to leave the assassination of Federal officials to folks in the militia. they all seem to be practicing for a showdown with the US government, afterall....

- IGIT

Roosevelt announces “court-packing” plan

On February 5, 1937, President Franklin Roosevelt announces a controversial plan to expand the Supreme Court to as many as 15 judges, allegedly to make it more efficient. Critics immediately charged that Roosevelt was trying to “pack” the court and thus neutralize Supreme Court justices hostile to his New Deal.

During the previous two years, the high court had struck down several key pieces of New Deal legislation on the grounds that the laws delegated an unconstitutional amount of authority to the executive branch and the federal government. Flushed with his landslide reelection in 1936, President Roosevelt issued a proposal in February 1937 to provide retirement at full pay for all members of the court over 70. If a justice refused to retire, an “assistant” with full voting rights was to be appointed, thus ensuring Roosevelt a liberal majority. Most Republicans and many Democrats in Congress opposed the so-called “court-packing” plan.

In April, however, before the bill came to a vote in Congress, two Supreme Court justices came over to the liberal side and by a narrow majority upheld as constitutional the National Labor Relations Act and the Social Security Act. The majority opinion acknowledged that the national economy had grown to such a degree that federal regulation and control was now warranted. Roosevelt’s reorganization plan was thus unnecessary, and in July the Senate struck it down by a vote of 70 to 22. Soon after, Roosevelt had the opportunity to nominate his first Supreme Court justice, and by 1942 all but two of the justices were his appointees.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/roosevelt-announces-court-packing-plan

I just wanted to share this with those who are not aware.

Discuss......

Why is the Left's first instinct to destroy our institutions? You people were talking about getting rid of the electoral college the other day just because you LOST. Now you're talking about diluting the votes of duly appointed Supreme Court justices, all because you LOST.

You're never even going to have an opportunity to do any of this unless you win an election.

Back