How did Alvarez become champion?

Yep! Just a quick scroll showed me you got your answers with insults & some politeness from the Sherbros, nothing more for me to add...

200.gif
For even asking the question

I think the title shot was tied into his contract somehow. Maybe they were obligated to give him a shot if he got 2 top 10 wins or something?

Alvarez is one of those dudes I Love seeing going all out. He usually wins after getting dropped in epic battles... When all out

Nonsense.

It's demonstrable. Because he literally has fought everyone who stood in the way of his goals. Go ahead and try to name someone he didn't fight to get what he wanted.

Even when he came into the UFC, he called out every person in the top 10.
Frankie Edgar / thread

They probably wanted to re-book Conor vs RDA for the championship after the Diaz rematch and so they gave Alvarez the shot against RDA instead of Ferguson, thinking he would be the easier opponent.

Well because Conor wanted him to. Eddie and RDA were the best match ups for Conor. Why else do you think he jumped serveral other more deserving fighters with a 2-1 record?
Whats worse was when Frankie got an instant title shot against Aldo after losing twice to Bendo at LW.

Who else was available at that point in time outside of maybe Cerrone though I think Cerrone lost after his fight with Alvarez.

He also was a long time champ in Bellator.

Cerrone won another 3fights after his fight with Alvarez.
Alvarez was his 5th win in an 8fight win streak that included wins over-
Evan Dunham, Adriano Martins, Edson Barboza, Jim Miller, Eddie Alvarez, Myles Jury, Benson Henderson, and John Makdessi.

Alvarez didn't get the titleshot against RDA until RDA had already beaten Cerrone in his first title defense after taking the belt from Pettis.

Frankie Edgar / thread

Nope. Conor won the Fw and lw championships without fighting Frankie, so obviously Frankie wasn't in the way.

Conor was willing to fight anyone to get his belts. If Frankie was in the way Frankie would've been fighting conor.

Last edited:
He is an exciting fighter and there weren't to many other options at the time. The guy has one of the best "Zombie Modes" in the game.

his fight with Pettis is the most disgraceful thing ever

He's a gamer though, he does whatever to win, I guess I can respect that. He's probably once of the least skilled fighters to win the LW title. Cerrone wiped the floor with him

He's got that Bellator pedigree fool. That's how...<{natewhut}>

Perfect looping right hand behind RDA's static, and in front of his face, guard.

At the time there really weren't any challengers lined up for RDA and Alvarez had a name despite some pretty lacklustre recent fights. He won the RDA fight fair and square but RDA has stated since then that he was a zombie from his weight cut.

Perfect storm;
- there was no other contender after Conor got choked silly
- RDA had a bad weight cut
- RDA had just missed out on the biggest payday of his life after pulling out of the Conor fight and likely wasn't taking old '2 splits' seriously

He "beat" the last champ before RDA (Pettis) and knocked the champ (RDA) out.

Back