How did Cain get hooked up so fast?

FinalConflict2005

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
His first pro mma fight was for Strikeforce. Third pro mma fight and he’s in the UFC (which I watched live in Montreal).

Did he have some insane amateur record? Good manager had connections? UFC desperate for HWs?

Everyone knew he was one of the best prospects ever because AKA is a high profile gym and media could go watch him dummy everyone there and the trainers and management were singing his praises too.

At the time he was coming out of arguably the best MMA gym in the world(AKA), and he was destroying guys in there. There was a lot of buzz.

Javier Mendez

This. Sometimes there is a fundamental difference in how trainers talk about a prospect. Same was true of Weidman. Same was true of Jones. Some guys are just clearly a different animal altogether.

He was proud and brown. Deal with it.

He trained at AKA right out of college with the following wrestling pedigree

Velasquez was raised in Yuma, Arizona.[9] He graduated from Kofa High School, where he compiled a record of 110–10 in four years of wrestling, including winning the 5A Arizona Wrestling Championship twice. Velasquez also played football for three years. As a senior, he served as captain of both his wrestling and football teams. As a football player, he played linebacker.[9]

After high school, he attended Iowa Central Community College, wrestling for one season (2001–02) and winning the NJCAA National Championship in the heavyweight (285 lb limit) division.[10] Afterwards, Velasquez transferred to Arizona State University. He wrestled for the Sun Devils for three seasons and compiled a record of 86–17, placing 5th in the country in 2005, and 4th in 2006. While at ASU, Velasquez also wrestled alongside future UFC fighters Ryan Bader and C.B. Dollaway.[11]

Whoopin ass and it is not what you know it is who you know, In his case he knows both

HW has always been thin in the UFC. It doesn’t take a helluva lot of buzz around a HW to get him in the door of the ufc. Fortunately for him, he was worthy of the hype. Just couldn’t stay healthy.

I remember when they were pronouncing his weirdly at first. Saying his name like "Kah-een" or something like that.

He was the great Brown hope . Dana had to sign him.

giphy.gif

The brown pride tattoo really opens doors thanks to affirmative action

I remember when they were pronouncing his weirdly at first. Saying his name like "Kah-een" or something like that.
So, the proper pronunciation, yea I member that too

Back