How did humans be around for 200,000 years and only got technology recently?

I could imagine Native Americans having done something of that scope in the US fwiw.

I'll give a better answer when I get back to the PC. It's a really interesting spot.

Werd

Gobekli Tepe is 50 times as large as stone hedge, and many times more sophisticated. Karahan Tepe (23 miles from Gobekli) and several other sites just like Gobekli Tepe (t shaped megalithic pillars) are already known and suggest a widespread single culture in the area at least going back to the end of the last ice age, at LEAST 7k years prior to the building of Stonehenge.

Anything of this scope could not have been accomplished without acute specialization and large food surplus.

Not to mention I wouldn't expect a hunter gatherer culture to have specialized stone masons that could produce relief art. The entire stone has to be chipped away to make stuff like this requiring a mason that has spent years of his life working stones with nothing but a hammer and chisel. So they had to plan it, map it out, measure and cut the stones weighing tons, move them, erect them, and turn them into art. I just don't see any way hunter gatherers did this. I think one reason they try to push that narrative is because if you accept that human culture was that advanced 12,000 years ago then it pretty much rewrites all the history books. There is a lot of scholastic resistance to stuff like that. I was always taught in school the first real civilization was the Sumerians but Gobekli predates that by THOUSANDS of years.

th

ac66465a8ca39244498032a8ddb8a910--ancient-mysteries-ancient-city.jpg

See this:

image24.gif

I believe it explains everything .

Tbh the big launching pad was agriculture, it freed up a lot of time. Plenty=productive labour in non survival roles.

Probably because masturbation was discovered like 199k years ago.

writing appeared relatively recently. without it, without the ability to preserve knowledge, progress is impossible. no single person can develop and build even simplest things today without prior achievements. after that, a few people being able to produce enough food for many, appeared even more recently. before that, everyone was worried about survival. hard to plow fields and discover new physics laws at the same time. both of that really started happening in the last thousand of years or so, but then the majority of that time humanity was divided and was much more likely to kill each other than work together.

I don't think there is any way in hell that transient hunter gatherers were able to build a massive monolithic complex. It would require a huge labor force that was in place and able to work for years to complete it. It would require a solid usable language as well as knowledge of mathematics and planning. You don't just roll up with 25 hunter gatherers who are always on the move trying to follow migration patterns and build a Gobekli Tepi. Its just as asinine as Egyptologists claiming for decades that the pyramids were built in 22 years or whatever it was. That is an impossibility and yet really smart people had that as a "working theory" for a long time. We couldn't build it in that amount of time with modern equipment and crews.
I would try to set aside any analogies with the pyramids or these asinine strawmen, or overarching human narratives and just look at what we've got.

We're right at the transition into the Neolithic, in a place that (while now is kind of barren) is relatively lush. We assume rivers, game, flora- we assume it's a good area for hunter gatherers, and frankly, it has to be or else this temple doesn't get built no matter if they were hunters or farmers. The quarrying and raising of stones happens over centuries, a long enough period of time that knowledge was lost in the process (old stuff is better than the new stuff). They learned techniques and then either lost/re-learned them or lost some of the fine points of their knowledge over many generations.

We have a few possibilities for how the labor was concentrated here. They either lived on-site or in the surrounding area, or they gathered from a larger area for special occasions and building projects. They needed a few hundred people at any given time to make this happen. Much smaller numbers than required for the later monumental projects in Egypt and South America and elsewhere. They could have assembled for smaller projects over time. The whole thing didn't go up at once. It's impressive and it's pushing the limits of what was possible then, but it could have been done with relatively few people and without a major city.

If they lived on-site while working, there will be unmistakable evidence of that, of many kinds. Even if they lived in their equivalent of tent cities, there will have been fires/cooking, tools, bones, etc. to testify to that. If they lived in the surrounding area we'll find cities like smaller versions of Catalhoyuk, also in Turkey (the earliest major Neolithic civ outside of the Levant, I believe), or hamlets/villages within a few days' walk. If they were a settled civilization, they came before pottery and still had basic tools (and if you look at the artwork, it's pretty basic stuff). We don't have enough information yet, we just know that whatever we find, no matter the explanation, is going to change our understanding in a big way.

If nomadic or semi-nomadic hunter-gatherers, who were loosely associated but friendly traders, came together to build their temple(s) here, that blows up the Neolithic man hypothesis of "agriculture, then civilization." If there was an in-situ civilization here, that blows up our understanding of how quickly civilization spread from the Levant (I think people can all stop saying Sumeria was first lol- check out Jericho and be humbled). If they somehow had agriculture, that's the most mind-blowing. And just the fact that this place is a temple is already kind of nuts.

I don't see any evidence that would lead me to believe these people had agriculture, or advanced tools, or even a large city here. Maybe when the other 95% of the site is one day uncovered- they're taking this one slow, waiting for better techniques and tools- or razed by the Turks allah forbid, we'll get those answers. But any answer is going to rock us. There are so far no houses and no sign of habitation. Personally I think we'll find a small settlement and grave sites, because it makes sense. The main dude who ran the site for decades said that he believes the temples came first, then the cities. It's a really interesting idea that turns our understanding upside down, that group spiritual practices predate societies. Probably wrong but it's a serious hypothesis now.

Well, the Dinosaurs had millions of years and never figured it out so..

Immagine being in a world that where that literally doesn't exist. It doesn't just pop up in your mind, it's an extremely slow gradual process that involves everything you learned as a species over thousands and thousands of years.

because God our creator wanted us to Commune with nature and have a relationship with him in a perfect paradise free from the technological machinations that I'll assume caused the prior angelic civilization to rebel.

as humans we're most at peace in Nature with simple pleasures, men chopping wood and building a fire, hunting, and fishing, women being wives and mothers. it's really that simple. Satans' agents in this world have twisted everything so much to now were at a point where what's right is considered wrong, and what was historically considered wrong is now considered right, or vogue or hip.

smh for humanity

accept Jesus get saved sherbros.

because God our creator wanted us to Commune with nature and have a relationship with him in a perfect paradise free from the technological machinations that I'll assume caused the prior angelic civilization to rebel.

as humans we're most at peace in Nature with simple pleasures, men chopping wood and building a fire, hunting, and fishing, women being wives and mothers. it's really that simple. Satans' agents in this world have twisted everything so much to now were at a point where what's right is considered wrong, and what was historically considered wrong is now considered right, or vogue or hip.

smh for humanity

accept Jesus get saved sherbros.
Yet somehow we're smarter, less violent, healthier, etc etc etc. Evidence suggests Satan was the good guy and God is a real piece of garbage.

Yet somehow we're smarter, less violent, healthier, etc etc etc. Evidence suggests Satan was the good guy and God is a real piece of garbage.

be careful about blasphemy man ....free advice.

Tbh the big launching pad was agriculture, it freed up a lot of time. Plenty=productive labour in non survival roles.
Nope. Mechanical then electrical.

Lol no.

Were all spoiled as duck now. Back in the days they did have any fucking cars, phones, or highways. You took your house and buffy and booked it a few miles to pop in surprise ya girl.

I suspect part of it has to do with smart people or scientific engineering type people were viewed as threats to the power of religious leaders who would then have them executed. Leaders burning books and libraries probably has something to do with it too.

It depends on what you mean be "Technology". Industrialization has only appeared recently. However, technological advancements have been made for literally tens of millennia now.

Also we've had a few major catastrophes that set human development back - toba being a good example

Back