How did humans be around for 200,000 years and only got technology recently?

This is mind blowing to me. So supposedly we were around for 200,000 years and the most advanced stuff we invented was farming, bows and arrows, a wheel, swords, and shields?

farming wasnt invented until around 9,000 BCE, in different parts of the world. nothing of importance was really invented before this. why?

time

without someone farming and storing food for later, guess what you're doing with all of your time? looking for food. you're not having specialized jobs. everyone does the same shit.....all the time. hunt. gather.

and even after this, its so difficult for us to grasp today how shitty communication was, even before 1800 or so. the VAST majority of humans would never travel more than 20 miles from where they were born. its F'ing hard to invent on a mass scale when you cannot bounce ideas from place to place.

It doesn't make sense to me either. Anatomically modern humans have been around for about 200,000 years which means at least in the last 50 or 100k years the people living has been as smart as you or I. The only thing that makes sense to me is that periodically, maybe every 10 or 20 thousand years, a natural disaster like an asteroid or an ice age wipes out and resets civilization. These would be civilizations lost to time. There is some good evidence that the last time this happened was around 12,000 years ago which is why its been taught in schools that the Sumerians where the first real civilization. Maybe they wern't. Maybe we just don't remember what happened.

we dont have to remember it. there should be physical evidence of these people. maybe there is, but until we find it, youre just speculating. norte chico is likely older than sumeria.

and there is a plausible explanation for why early humans did not invent. i posted it above.

Almost everything that happened before 10,000 BC has been destroyed due to that ice age.

See this:

image24.gif

I believe it explains everything .

Shit, I was just wondering how I ate so little yesterday and shit so much today. Thanks to this graph, I now know.

This is mind blowing to me. So supposedly we were around for 200,000 years and the most advanced stuff we invented was farming, bows and arrows, a wheel, swords, and shields?

Please study grammar, maybe you and the type of people you represent are the reason humanity has taken so long to develop technology at such a slow rate.

We don't have enough information yet, we just know that whatever we find, no matter the explanation, is going to change our understanding in a big way.

you hit on this in the middle of your post and really that was my entire point. I think we agree, mostly. My main point was that growing up I was taught in school that the first civilization was the Sumerians which ran from 5900-2900 B.C. This find at Gobekli predates the Sumerians by 4,000-6,000 years. That is insane. Think of this mind fuckery. The Sumerians of 3,000 B.C. are closer to you and I than they are the people who built Gobekli Tepi. :eek:

Regardless if they were hunter gatherers, which I have a hard time believing, or a legit in place civilization, or something in between, I think Gobekli basically ends up rewriting the text books on this topic. As far as how basic the carvings are, I don't think you may end up being right about their rudimentary nature. Those carvings are base relief, meaning the entire stone has to be carved away to leave the art raised. Craftsman, expert stone masons of the time would had to have spent a huge amount of time on it because of the sheer number and size of the stones.

Look at these and picture a guy from 12,000 years ago using a homemade hammer and chisel to do it.

G%C3%B6bekli-Tepe-4.png

Look at the work here done even along the bottom on the base that the pillar sits on.
gobeklitepe8.png

th

A size comparison to a human so we know what size stones we are dealing with here.
Each pillar* has a height of up to 6 m (20 ft) and a weight of up to 10 tons.
Massive-megaliths-Alistair-Coombs.jpg

The entire complex is rather large with at least 200 such pillars. Then you have the mystery of why and how they buried the entire site under sand. How and why would they do such a thing is a mystery but it would take a HUGE amount of work. I don't think we are that far apart on opinion here. The site is an amazing and groundbreaking find.

People were busy thinking up god characters to explain stuff then religions formed and now religions keep racism and other bigotries alive today.

The exponential nature of progress and technology is because the more advanced your technology is, the easier it is to advance technology

this should explain it to you.

Basically, it took all that time to develop stable population densities so that we could focus on the exchange of ideas rather than mere survival from hunger, disease and predators. And it continues to accelerate.

Was reading about population growth recently. This graph kinda goes along with the thread and what you said.

HumanPopGrowth.gif

Oh, and the current population of the world is about 7.6 billion. It now goes up by a billion every 11 to 13 years.

do you realize how fucking insane it is that we figured out how to extract metal from the earth. mold it, learn that we can conduct electricity, use them together it to host circuits. figure out that we can give computers instructions.. etc...

got to admit he has a point. White man is responsible for a lot of the technological turning points

-telephone
-camera
-computer
-internet
-car
-airplane
-cell phone
-Virtual Reality
-the first robot
-the clock
-microwave
-steam engine
-television

I always wondered why it took humans so long to come out with the bullet cartridge for guns after they first invented the chemically propelled projectile weapon.

If I know humans they innovate weaponry better than they innovate anything else.

We have had guns since like 1300 or something. Even Leonardo Da Vinci designed a gun, but still took us another 300 years to invent a cartridge, and most basic gun to utilize that like a bolt action or revolver or breach loaders.

We still used muzzle loader in which we had to insert powder, wadding, and bullet up to the American Civil War. Well at least we had the Gatling gun by then, but I still think that is too late.

got to admit he has a point. White man is responsible for a lot of the technological turning points

-telephone
-camera
-computer
-internet
-car
-airplane
-cell phone
-Virtual Reality
-the first robot
-the clock
-microwave
-steam engine
-television

Are you going to list non white inventions? I bet this list is long too.

Are we going to only look at positive things whites have done or just brush over all the negatives as well ?

Sad how many don't give no credit to any other races beside their own. SMH

Are you going to list non white inventions? I bet this list is long too.

Are we going to only look at positive things whites have done or just brush over all the negatives as well ?

Sad how many don't give no credit to any other races beside their own. SMH

-telephone
-camera
-computer
-internet
-car
-airplane
-cell phone
-Virtual Reality
-the first robot
-the clock
-microwave
-steam engine
-television
This is Mayberry. Please stop. Thank you kindly.

Last edited:
We're definitely experiencing exponential increases in developments.....especially in the past few decades. The only reasonable explanation is the advent of youtube instructional videos.

Back