How did Last Jedi get such a high rotten tomatoes score?

Yeah Samuel L Jackson, one of the most charismatic actors of his generation, comes off like a cardboard cutout too. Liam Neeson doesn't fare well either, although like Mcgregor he found a way to inject some of his charm into a boring underwritten role. For such a great cast there's no good acting to be found throughout an entire trilogy, save for Neeson and Ewan, and maybe Yoda.

"A plot against the Jedi? We must hurry."

Saunters slowly along the green screen.

"A plot against the Jedi? We must hurry."

Saunters slowly along the green screen.
Yeah it's tough to find good moments in the prequels. Hell I've still never managed to stay awake through attack of the clones. Maybe part of that movie is good. I doubt it though.

Yeah it's tough to find good moments in the prequels. Hell I've still never managed to stay awake through attack of the clones. Maybe part of that movie is good. I doubt it though.

I'm trying to remember a good scene or moment. Can't offhand.

I'm trying to remember a good scene or moment. Can't offhand.
I went to see AOTC in the theater. Fell asleep during one of the many boring council scenes talking about trade disputes and shit. Somewhere after Kenobi fought Jango. Then I woke up at the end Big Battle Scene totally confused.

So a couple years later I bought the dvd. Tried to watch it twice with my gf at the time. Fell asleep both times. Goddamn that shit is boring. I've seen really bad movies, but never a movie so damn boring I fell asleep trying to suffer through it three separate times.

Astro Poppins was probably the ultimate cringe scene in that turd pile. Rose's "save the shit that we love" drivel is there in second place.

So many scenes in this movie made my butthole tighten up in embarrassment.

The marketing machine knows what the mass influence centres are so there's where the money goes, no surprise there.
All this confirms is just that they most likely regulate the amount of money depending on the quality of the product they have at hand.
Say for Avengers for example the allocated amount was minimal versus the hefty one that went to save TLJ ratings.

These motherfuckers just destroyed my childhood memories...

Darth Maul lightsaber fight. That's about it.

It's my least favourite SW movie. Hell, i prefer TPM over that steaming pile of garbage.

I dont want to watch it again, but the impression I got from TLJ was that it happened over a short period of time as the rebel fleet were getting chased for the majority of the film, but at the same time there were plots that seem like they needed a long time, like Rey's time on the island.

Darth Maul lightsaber fight. That's about it.

Hmmm... I'll see if I can think of anything else good from amid all that muck...

Opera conversation between Palpatine and Anakin was decent.

Final fight between Obi Wan and Anakin was long and boring, but their conversations right before and right after the fight were good.

Order 66 where all the Jedi get stabbed in the back wasn't bad.

I guess the moment where Anakin kills Count Doodoo is okay.

Hmmm... I'll see if I can think of anything else good from amid all that muck...

Opera conversation between Palpatine and Anakin was decent.

Final fight between Obi Wan and Anakin was long and boring, but their conversations right before and right after the fight were good.

Order 66 where all the Jedi get stabbed in the back wasn't bad.

I guess the moment where Anakin kills Count Doodoo is okay.

I did like the ROTS fight with Anakin and Obi Wan vs Dooku.

She was a survivalist who had a lot of training with melee weapons. They provided the back story for that.

A supposed Sith Lord should have taken her out. I agree.

Then again Luke stood toe to toe with Vader after two weeks training with Yoda

This keeps coming up. They established Luke was a good pilot and crack shot when he used to "bullseye womp rats back home in his T16 and they aren't much bigger then 2 meters."

This keeps coming up. They established Luke was a good pilot and crack shot when he used to "bullseye womp rats back home in his T16 and they aren't much bigger then 2 meters."

Yup. Same amount of suspension of disbelief required.

Yup. Same amount of suspension of disbelief required.

Not really. Anyone can be a good pilot in the SW cannon look at Biggs and Wedge.

Rey had staff training and they established like 30 mins prior to the starkiller duel that Kylo could hold and freeze Rey and was powerful enough to stop a blaster bolt. Now she can overcome all that use the force to pull away the sabre from a powerful Knight of Ren all because, I dunno, she believes in the force or some BS and was able to mind control James Bond.

She was a survivalist who had a lot of training with melee weapons. They provided the back story for that.

A supposed Sith Lord should have taken her out. I agree.

Then again Luke stood toe to toe with Vader after two weeks training with Yoda

No luke did not go “toe to toe” with vader and it amazes me how you missed that.

It was a fight between a cat and a mouse which is part of what made that fight so entertaining.

You knew luke didnt have a chance but he sacrificed himself by confronting vader in an attempt to rescue his friends.

Vader was playing with luke the whole time up until luke got a lucky shot in on vaders shoulder at which point luke lost his hand 5 seconds after.

At no point in that fight was vader in any trouble.

Which was the entire point. Which you missed.

Not really. Anyone can be a good pilot in the SW cannon look at Biggs and Wedge.

Rey had staff training and they established like 30 mins prior to the starkiller duel that Kylo could hold and freeze Rey and was powerful enough to stop a blaster bolt. Now she can overcome all that use the force to pull away the sabre from a powerful Knight of Ren all because, I dunno, she believes in the force or some BS and was able to mind control James Bond.
They made a point of having Ren get critically injured right before their fight, but everyone just ignores that.

That does rather make indepth analysis of the prequels for me a little pointless, Lucas was simply out of touch as a writer/director and this undermines everything. Not to say the films don't have some redeeming features but the above ment they were never going to amount to great cinema.

TLJ to me feels rather different in that Johnson does show at points that he clearly has ability but this potential ends up being lost IMHO in a confused script and badly uneven tone.
I'm reminded of Ford saying something to the effect of "you can write these lines George, but I can't say them"

A lot of people say the original trilogy was saved because George wasn't some god emperor yet, and people weren't afraid to tell him no, or that some of his ideas were stupid.

As far as Rian goes, he seems like a capable enough director, it's the plot and script that are fucking terrible. He went out of his way, seemingly out of spite, to completely bury every new plot thread introduced in TFA. My defense of TFA when people complained it was derivative, is look at all the new characters and plot points that were introduced. Then TLJ comes out and has the dumbest, lamest answer possible for every question raised in TFA.

It took The Last Jedi to do it, but I've come to appreciate the prequels a little bit. I didn't know how low things could sink.

Oh come on. The originals are great, the new ones are alright but the prequels are a big pile of doo doo (from editing to acting to god dam everything just pure shit). I watched the prequels not too long ago and couldn't be happier that Disney bought the franchise.

Oh come on. The originals are great, the new ones are alright but the prequels are a big pile of doo doo (from editing to acting to god dam everything just pure shit). I watched the prequels not too long ago and couldn't be happier that Disney bought the franchise.

I have had very few positive things to say about the prequels over the years, but The Last Jedi was just a poisonous project from an egomaniac with no leash. It's like a practical joke on the fans. Even movies as flawed as the prequels are able to clear that bar.

I enjoyed The Force Awakens more than the prequels though.

I have had very few positive things to say about the prequels over the years, but The Last Jedi was just a poisonous project from an egomaniac with no leash. It's like a practical joke on the fans. Even movies as flawed as the prequels are able to clear that bar.

I enjoyed The Force Awakens more than the prequels though.

Agree to disagree. I'll watch The Last Jedi a million times over rather than Hayden Christensen's constipated face.

Agree to disagree. I'll watch The Last Jedi a million times over rather than Hayden Christensen's constipated face.
I dunno man, ROTS was at least enjoyable in parts and had a few good fights. I went in expecting to love TLJ but I couldn't find much to like. I liked how visceral the fight in Snokes' chamber was. And I liked Luke's fight at the end until they showed that he died for no reason.

The entire rest of the movie had me saying wtf or why would they do that?

Back