How did Mac Danzig build enough muscle as a vegan?

Bean99

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As he has usually fought at 155, I would have thought Mac would be smaller than most of the other guys, but he seems right in the middle size wise. How do you build muscle like that being a vegan? Now, I know there are other sources of protein besides meat. But a vegan couldn't consume whey protein either. Those are the two main sources of protein for most people body builders. No meat, fish, eggs, whey...I guess that leaves soy and lentils and stuff like that?

All I'm saying is, that's a crapload of soy to be consuming, especially considering soy protein is one of the least efficient proteins at getting absorbed by your body. What do you guys think?

I'm not going to be signing up for that vegan nonense any time soon - just curious.

Soy protein, pea protein, hemp protein, etc. plus whatever he gets though his diet. Its not impossible.

Grains, oats, beans, soy, nuts

And there are plenty of protein powders that are Vegan friendly Brewers Yeast, Rice, Soy, Spirulina etc..

Plus hes not even that big.

Grains, oats, beans, soy, nuts

And there are plenty of protein powders that are Vegan friendly Brewers Yeast, Rice, Soy, Spirulina etc..

Plus hes not even that big.

Clydesdale horses eat oats and hay all day and look at how big they are. Anything is possible.

people overrate protein. Its important yes, but carbs are more important for building muscle.

He says he uses Rice protein and has a very specific diet.

people overrate protein. Its important yes, but carbs are more important for building muscle.
one of the worst responses ive ever seen. "people overrate protein" YOU CANT BUILD MUSCLE WITHOUT PROTEIN. its the building block.

one of the worst responses ive ever seen. "people overrate protein" YOU CANT BUILD MUSCLE WITHOUT PROTEIN ASSHOLE. its the building block.

Then you have an explanation for the clydesdales, right doctor?

Carbs do not build muscle the give energy which can make muscles appear fuller. But as a vegan there are plenty of things he can eat to maintain what he has and have plenty of energy to stay active. He already has some decent size to him so he really doesn't need to build more muscle at all.

If you are really interested, the guys in at this place have all the answers you need:

http://www.veganfitness.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8944

Some vegans are sorta obsessed with powerlifting and building muscle, just cause it's supposed to be impossible.

Anyways. Regardless of what one might think of vegans, the guys in that thread are pretty damn big. And strong.

As he has usually fought at 155, I would have thought Mac would be smaller than most of the other guys, but he seems right in the middle size wise. How do you build muscle like that being a vegan? Now, I know there are other sources of protein besides meat. But a vegan couldn't consume whey protein either. Those are the two main sources of protein for most people body builders. No meat, fish, eggs, whey...I guess that leaves soy and lentils and stuff like that?

All I'm saying is, that's a crapload of soy to be consuming, especially considering soy protein is one of the least efficient proteins at getting absorbed by your body. What do you guys think?

I'm not going to be signing up for that vegan nonense any time soon - just curious.

Steroids are synthetic and so no animals are harmed in their production. :icon_chee

Meat is one of the least efficient ways to get protein.

A pund of beans will give you more protein than a pund of beef, not to mention 0% fat

Then you have an explanation for the clydesdales, right doctor?

Yeah, that would be news to all the big Herbivores. Rhinos, elephants, Bison, Giraffes, Buffalo all have some pretty stout muscles, despite never eating an ounce of meat.

Animals produce their own proteins from Amino Acids. same thing with fat, accept in the case of fat the body uses fatty acids.

Now it is easier for the body to break down protein that is consumed into amino acids and use them to create its own protein, but its not a necessity. Animals are capable of cobbling together protein from scratch, although the trade off is that herbivores have to consume vast quantities of plant matter to accomplish this.

Tons of body builders are vegans. It's not impossible, it's just eating the right things.

Back