How did Panda Express become so popular?

Did you have the wood board bed with the little thin ass mat that goes on top of it?

That was the worst part for me, when I was on the drilling rigs in the camps (Great Wall rig company) we all had wooden bunk beds with the little mats.

Food was good in camp NORMALLY but sometimes inedible for me haha

Restaurant food there in the cities was different from camp food for sure though.

No, I wasn’t a sucker for punishment, but my ex’s parents used to sleep on those beds. They figured it was better for their backs. Even their pillows were hard. Not for me, thanks.

Food at home and at the in-laws’ house was always good, but some of the food at places I worked sucked ass. I loved eating at the little restaurants down obscure side streets and mom and pop places. Bao zi was one of my go to snacks.

Rig life in China sounds like quite the experience. Lol

Last edited:
I rather eat at Panda than some of these so called Authentic chinese fast food places owned by Chinese people you dont know if they gonna serve you dog or rat or cat meat or use car oil grease to fry it up in a wok

Panda is filling and cheap, its not bland either good fast chinese food.

They should have included which province everyone was from. Would explain the differences in opinion I’m sure.

I just find it humorous that the first generation kids are so pretentious about what is essentially peasant food, while their parents/grandparents are probably just happy to have a free meal.

I rather eat at Panda than some of these so called Authentic chinese fast food places owned by Chinese people you dont know if they gonna serve you dog or rat or cat meat or use car oil grease to fry it up in a wok

Panda is filling and cheap, its not bland either good fast chinese food.
Don’t knock Rat until you’ve had it cooked right

Cheap, fast, makes people think they’re “cultured” for eating Chinese food.

I can almost guarantee you nobody eating at panda kitchen thinks they’re cultured for doing it.

I just find it humorous that the first generation kids are so pretentious about what is essentially peasant food, while their parents/grandparents are probably just happy to have a free meal.
Right

And love the AV!

What's funny is, older generations prefer Panda Express type of Chinese food.
That’s a pretty sweeping generalization there.
I doubt my family would feel the same way especially about the flavor and ratio of meat to veggies in the food. Also I am pretty sure they would be disgusted by the fried rice and noodles considering fried noodles are a specialty in their hometown.

No, I wasn’t a sucker for punishment, by my ex’s parents used to sleep on those beds. They figured it was better for their backs. Even their pillows were hard. Not for me, thanks.

Food at home and at the in-laws’ house was always good, but some of the food at places I worked sucked ass. I loved eating at the little restaurants down obscure side streets and mom and pop places. Bao zi was one of my go to snacks.

Rig life in China sounds like quite the experience. Lol
Side street food is dope in China when I was in Kunming I went to this place on a side street and they had the jars of special liquor. I had some pinenut baijiu and rose liquor with some 过桥米线 and a side of grasshoppers good times

In Australia, every strip of shops or food court has at least 1, if not 3 Chinese take-away restaurants.

Noodle Box is probably the most popular and common but they're not exactly Chinese, they're more "Asian".

Side street food is dope in China when I was in Kunming I went to this place on a side street and they had the jars of special liquor. I had some pinenut baijiu and rose liquor with some 过桥米线 and a side of grasshoppers good times

Cross Bridge Noodles ftw! Invented in Yunnan they say. Kunming was home for me. I miss that place.

Cross Bridge Noodles ftw! Invented in Yunnan they say. Kunming was home for me. I miss that place.
It is quite nice my next goal is to see nanning I have been thinking of trying to get a winter home in yunnan or guangxi because of the winters here in eastern China. Yunnan is not a bad place to call home.
Wasn’t there another guy who used to post here who was based in Guilin?

I like the cultured feel of panda express, its like a little window into how the chinese people live

You guys are high maintenance. Even bad Chinese is still pretty good.
Just stir the duck sauce with the hot mustard, slather liberally, and you're good to go.

It is quite nice my next goal is to see nanning I have been thinking of trying to get a winter home in yunnan or guangxi because of the winters here in eastern China. Yunnan is not a bad place to call home.
Wasn’t there another guy who used to post here who was based in Guilin?

Yeah I remember that guy. Think he was banned years ago. Yunnan is nice because it’s subtropical, and unlike Guangxi it doesn’t get blistering hot in summer. I owned a place in Kunming, and it was good. I’m sure prices have gone up quite a bit in the last few years. If you end up living in Kunming you’ll need a space heater for sure as it gets down to about 2 C in December and January. It only snows there once every 3 or 4 years and only like an inch that’s gone in a couple hours, but it does get somewhat cold.

The air quality in Yunnan is way better too. You can actually see blue sky. Honestly, you couldn’t ever pay me enough to live on the entire east side of China.

Also, go to Xishuangbanna, Lijiang, Dali, Shanggelila, etc if you get a chance. Tiger Leaping Gorge was cool. My dad and I had a nice meal there with some farmers who spontaneously invited us for dinner just cause we happened to be there. Good times.

Last edited:
It's strange how any franchise sticks out among the pack of westernized Chinese food. They're all the same.
tenor.gif

Delivered produce to them they use quality product. Personally I'll cook my own stir fry it doesn't take long but Panda Express is good.

I always thought Panda Express was very low quality Chinese food you could only find at indoor malls.
But now they are out of the malls and sprouting everywhere like McDonald's.
There's literally a Panda Express in every city and every town all over America.

Do people really enjoy awfully bland Chinese food?
Look at it like this. Chic-fil-a is super popular. I can’t stand chic-fil-a. The chicken is fucking mushy with some weird ass parts on it and it’s actually a chicken breast cut in half, so you aren’t even getting a full chicken breast.

I mean McDonald’s gets so much love. There is always a line in the drive through and it’s shit burgers. You can get a burger that tastes better at several other places but people love it.

Look at KFC. They have some shit chicken. I mean the spices taste decent but their chicken is the worst chicken you can find.

All the food I mentioned, It’s garbage food, just like Panda. The problem is that we love our garbage food in the US.

Back