How did we get here..hero fired

Personal experience.
When in your personal experience have you seen more people die because someone was a hero than otherwise would have?

It's not my personal experience. Seems to me like an unfounded axiom.

Last edited:
Tackling is an act of infringement. And when we start infringing the rights of citizens to steal firearms we're just a short, slippery slope away from a repeal of the second amendment.
Why do I strongly suspect that you are more concerned with the criminal's "rights" being infringed upon than you do the everyday American gunowner's?

Best argument I can see for this is that he created a potential for customers or employees to get shot, but that doesn't mean he isn't a hero, and the criminal isn't a piece of shit. That criminal was going to use it to go shoot people on the street. @ultramanhyata just wants those crime figures up so he can whine about the 2nd Amendment some more. He's probably happy to see people get killed-- most likely other black men.

It's quite racist of him.

They didn't even ask for ID? Wow!
Buying or stealing guns is a lot easier than buying or stealing liquor.

What a backwards country we live in.

This is actually untrue. They used to tell women to just comply with their attackers to until the FBI did a massive statistical analysis about 5 years ago and rewrote half of their procedures, now they no that a woman's best chance is to fight with everything she has got regardless of the guys strength or armament. Same analysis came to the conclusion that stores who used firearms in self defense were less likely to wind up injured.

It doesnt matter if it safer. It matters if the company is liable.

They didn't even ask for ID? Wow!
Buying or stealing guns is a lot easier than buying or stealing liquor.

What a backwards country we live in.
Buying guns is not easier than buying liquor. Which is easier to steal I can't say.

I get that it's against policy for good reason, but shit, you're firing the guy for a survival instinct. Nothing bad happened, and he potentially saved lives. Give him a bit of a talking to, and let your employees know that what he did was not endorsed, but don't fire the fuckin' guy.

Why do I strongly suspect that you are more concerned with the criminal's "rights" being infringed upon than you do the everyday American gunowner's?

Best argument I can see for this is that he created a potential for customers or employees to get shot, but that doesn't mean he isn't a hero, and the criminal isn't a piece of shit. That criminal was going to use it to go shoot people on the street. @ultramanhyata just wants those crime figures up so he can whine about the 2nd Amendment some more. He's probably happy to see people get killed-- most likely other black men.

It's quite racist of him.

Assuming the narrative is as told I consider the firing of this manager an outrage. Truly unbelievable. Even had he done serious bodily harm to the thief in the act of restraining him I STILL would support the manager one hundred percent.

My post was just a quick, cheap comic play on the word "infringement". It had zero larger political point. Sorry for having so violently rustled some of the 2A snowflakes here. lol

Last edited:
The company's lawyers are concerned that such situations could end up with an un-involved patron being shot as a result of the physical altercation between the suspect and the store employees. Since they can't make a rule with lots of caveats to accommodate each individual situation, they make a blanket rule.

When in your personal experience have you seen more people die because someone was a hero than otherwise would have?

It's not my personal experience. Seems to me like an unfounded axiom.
It was a joke. Didn't come through.

I got fired from a Wawa when I was 17 for sucker punching a dude slapping his wife in the parking lot.

Lot of companies have zero-tolerance policies on "being a hero".

There's clearly something missing from this story. No company would fire an employee for apprehending a thief - especially not, as the employee's attorney speculated, to retain the business of future thieves and shield against frivolous injured-while-stealing lawsuits (lol).

Yes, many companies would.

Many, many companies have a policy that you can ask someone to stop but cannot physically detain them or attempt to recover stolen merchandise from their person.

Back