How do I deal with someone who punches non-stop?

I'm a MT guy, and if a guy just comes with hands, my go to is:

leg kick -> 3, 2

You have to be based forward, heavy forward stance so you won't lose balance as you kick, block well, as you kick so you won't eat punches upstairs.

The thing with people like this is, if you back out or avoid, they're just going to keep pressing, and its going to be worse on you at the end.

So based on what you say his punches are very jammed up? I'm sure you can still kick, i land this frequently on people who happen to be 2-5" shorter than me.

Key to note is you have to interrupt his flurry on the 2nd or 3rd strike, any more and you lose momentum, and the worse the follow up strike he'll dish out
Is there a chart somewhere where I can see what are these 3,2 referring to?

As a Kyokushin guy (during my early years) I used to fight exactly the way your opponent is fighting. I knew I could punch harder than most folks and I knew that I may not kick as well as the other fellow. Getting in and turning it into a close range boxing match would enable me to deny the kicking range. There are two incidents that I would like to share with you.

A) Once I was bull charging a brown belt like this and instead of stepping back he would step to the side right next to me causing me to turn to engage him. As I was turning to face him he hooked me in the stomach and that really took the wind out of me because I was turning.

Lesson to learn: When someone charges at you, circle around him. This will cause him to spin. It takes their forward momentum, makes them totally disoriented and robs their blows of their linear power.

Is there a chart somewhere where I can see what are these 3,2 referring to?
hook, cross

1- jab
2- cross
3- lead hook
4- rear hook
5- lead upper
6- rear upper

I remember seeing rich franklin get dropped by silva, I was amazed to see a pro in the UFC not know how to clinch.
Its a different type of clinching. Their clinching comes from greco.

I get it though, the grappling day 1 no-no, is getting hip to hip without underhooks, so MT clinching is anti-thesis to that, the double dollar is giving up the unders. Hell hip to hip, no underhooks, you just have a loose bodylock, walk forward and you have your takedown. So lifelong grapplers have that habit built into them over years and years of drilling. Its hard to change, and also MT in the west is very underdeveloped. at this point MT in MMA is dutch KB with the MT name for marketing purposes.

Then when dealt with strikes thrown into the equation, you instinctively defend yourself where you got hurt. Its the same when pure BJJ try out MMA for the first time, passing guard, sweep him here, but bad habits lead to getting hit with bombs, and everything flies out the window to protect. The simple dynamic of adding striking to a non-striking environment changes the field greatly. And you can be more relaxed and chill when you're not getting meat hammered all over the place.

I've always said MMA is not "BJJ + strikes", the entire mindset is different. Position -> pound -> pound -> pound, when sub is there, go for it. 80% of armbar attempts fail, and you end up giving up mount for a shit position. Not to mention reefing for subs for 5min, the guy's gonna be relaxed and cool, the judge can give it either way. But you go to town on him for the round, he's gonna be tired, take damage, demoralized, and no judge would give it to the other guy. But this usually falls on deaf ears with BJJ guys, they see someone like Ryan Hall or Maia do more juju in MMA, so credits it to "well they can do it so you're wrong". what they're forgetting is majority of the people here are not open class fighters and are around the novice to early intermediate stage where material those top guys can do does not apply to the posters.

Last edited:
I do kyokushin karate and I cannot deal with this guy. He's always pressing forward, throwing punches non-stop, no matter what I throw at him. I never have the space to kick or knee, and when I step back, he stays tight. Basically, imagine punching a heavy bag with both your forearms resting on it.
Punch back.
If you can’t punch back, go away for a while and learn how to box.
Gotta start getting him to react to punches, get him to bite on punch feints and THAT will set up your kicks and spinning shit.
Good hands are a must.

body punching is effective, but not when someone has a 2 hand clinch on your head. your out of position to throw punches properly. anderson silva vs rich franklin is a perfect example of someone trying to punch their way out of a clinch. generally speaking, most guys that punch in the clinch dont know how to clinch. when clinched your better off to knee/elbow/sweep or takedown if its mma

You've got to remember that you're dealing with a completely different sport and approach to fighting. The OP was asking about Kyokushin - not Muay Thai or MMA, as Azam pointed out (and he knows KK better than anyone here) punching in the clinch can be effective.

I dunno if you've ever trained with a kyokushin guy but you'd be surprised the amount of power they get into a shot, and when it comes to bare knuckle its gonna hurt even more. Which is why I mentioned before I wouldn't recommend trying to double collar tie him (especially with how easy that hold is to counter)

Also to defend Rich Franklin - no one knew what the clinch was back then - nowadays everyone is wise to it and you virtually never see it happen, all the great clinch fighers like DJ Matt Brown and Overeem operate out of different holds.

Knees counter punches.

Kicks and teeps to keep him away and circle. But once they inevitably get close, knee them to oblivion. Cover up and trade knees for punches.

yeah i agree, so many guys focus on head hunting and forget about going to the body. a tuff guy will take a shot to the face. a tuff guy will go down with a good body shot. that being said, the knee is a better body shot than the punch. I will gladly take a body punch while clinching to throw a knee. also if your clinched, your not in proper position to throw a good body punch. I have had guys try to punch me in the body while clinching, its pretty much laughable taps then comes the big knee. Also, guys that try to double forearm block a knee, good luck, if you know how to knee properly, its powerful enough to smash straight through it.

I'm not sure that I'd say that knees are a better body shot than a punch.

It depends entirely on situation. Knees are relatively slow - if you secure a solid clinch and the guy opposite has nowhere to go - nothing beats a knee.

If you haven't secured a solid clinch & are within clinching range imo nothing beats a punch to the body (especially hooks to the liver, spleen, floating rib or solar plexus). It's much more robust/compact/quicker and leaves you with the ability to maneuver in any direction.

Throwing a knee without a secure clinch can you leave you a bit static especially if you don't connect - in kyokushin sparring & competitions I've seen guys throw a knee, have the opponent move laterally to avoid it (some cases take a slight bump from the knee while moving laterally) and in the process opponent is in a position where he can throw body punches whereas the guy throwing the knee is in a blind spot and has to turn to face him.

Also if someone is moving laterally & in/off angles and not linearly to you - throwing a knee isn't preferable.

But that's just my opinion from kyokushin & kudo sparring. It might in MT that it's a bit different.

I'm not sure that I'd say that knees are a better body shot than a punch.

It depends entirely on situation. Knees are relatively slow - if you secure a solid clinch and the guy opposite has nowhere to go - nothing beats a knee.

If you haven't secured a solid clinch & are within clinching range imo nothing beats a punch to the body (especially hooks to the liver, spleen, floating rib or solar plexus). It's much more robust/compact/quicker and leaves you with the ability to maneuver in any direction.

Throwing a knee without a secure clinch can you leave you a bit static especially if you don't connect - in kyokushin sparring & competitions I've seen guys throw a knee, have the opponent move laterally to avoid it (some cases take a slight bump from the knee while moving laterally) and in the process opponent is in a position where he can throw body punches whereas the guy throwing the knee is in a blind spot and has to turn to face him.

Also if someone is moving laterally & in/off angles and not linearly to you - throwing a knee isn't preferable.

But that's just my opinion from kyokushin & kudo sparring. It might in MT that it's a bit different.

i agree with you

@Azam
For the clinch, i think you forget the elbows to the face in MT. If your hands are occupied with body shoots, that means they are not protecting the face. Thats why we prefer to knee the body while clinching... We don't give an opening to the face, and we still control the opponents head.
So it's not just about gloves vs bare knuckles, even tho that's also an important reason.
Of course for your rule set, it make a lot of cense... But not so much in MT...

If I was in the clinch I wouldn't be bothering with bodyshots. I'd be looking to posture, get some sort of leverage and throw - whether it's foot sweep or hip throw. Like you said throwing bodyshots whilst clinched isn't smart.

Clinching range is a different thing - if I'm in clinching range but not in a clinch personally I think the bodyshots are more versatile - especially if you know how to throw short powerful body punches especially in 4oz or bareknuckle. It's very easy as well to maneuver from a bodyshot to elsewhere or follow up on a bodyshot or even switch levels very quickly. Like for example a left hook to the body and to the head (combination) then moving off at angle.

I've been smacked in the liver in clinching range for example - not particularly hard but well placed and gone down in agony multiple times. I think it's very easy to go down from a shot to liver/floating rib or solar plexus when it's bareknuckle. That's why in kyokushin rule-set it's probably better than the knee.

@Azam

No doubt. I am not arguing on the efficiency of a body shoot. When you see boxers been dropped buy 8-10 oz to the liver, no one will deny the results with bare knuckles or 4 oz rules.
And I am not here to say how you should fight under your rules. The point i was trying to make, is that body shoots in KK are effective not only because of the non-gloves factor (obviously), but also because you don't have to worry about head punches/elbows.
So, in MT, you can say that body punches are less effective as a strategy because of the gloves, but also because of the clinch and elbows. You cannot blast combos to the body without a retaliation from your opponent to the head, which would be let wide open.
So for us, a better and safer strategy to hurt the body from the clinching distance, is the knee...

You circle and patiently await the opening to counter, and counter hard. This will make your opponent more conservative.

Head kick. Not even kidding. A guy was coming at me in sparring hard with punch after punch. I kicked him in the head once when I got fed up and he needed a "break"

Back