how do i tell if I bruised a rib?

VegasFighter**

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It feels like a bruise on my ribs, front bottom rib, but i dont see anything, only really hurts when i bend, or run ,or aggrivate it.. is this a bruised rib?? any help?

its probably at least bruised it may be cracked though too. be careful with it take it easy for a week or so. if it still hurts go get some xrays

It's worth getting a check up.
Although, they can't do anything and they heal themselves.

Sounds like you've bruised it.
I cracked mine before, and that was enough pain for me.
Couldn't lay on my side, laugh and cough was a lot of pain, and general moving.
No actual bruising though on my skin though.
Took about a month or so before I got back in training, and even then it still hurt like a bitch.

Groove Holmes said:
It's worth getting a check up.
Although, they can't do anything and they heal themselves.

Sounds like you've bruised it.
I cracked mine before, and that was enough pain for me.
Couldn't lay on my side, laugh and cough was a lot of pain, and general moving.
No actual bruising though on my skin though.
Took about a month or so before I got back in training, and even then it still hurt like a bitch.

naw its nothing unbearable. it doesnt hurt that bad unless im bending, or moving.. it doesnt feel like it'll take long. I feel like i can train the way it is, but i'll mess it up more. It feels like a few days off would be good.

I trained 4 days in a row this week, and usually only train 3x a week. i dont know where the extra motivation came from.

thanks guys, advice heeded

I had a bruised rib in that spot for the longest time. Man it took forever to heal! Bruised ribs heal very slow. I used to think that it may be my kidney or something, but it was my rib. Push on it with your fingers. If it hurts then it is your rib. The next question would be if it is just bruised, or cracked.

Wolverine
///

I hurt my ribs last year, same kind of pain. I was told by a Physical Therapist it was a torn muscle attachment. Took me about two months to start training properly, then I tore it again a few weeks later.. Was out another month or so.
I

i have a rib that sticks out a bit, hurts like hell if i roll wrong but i don't feel it any other time

I suffer from a deep bone bruise of my right side ribs. No noticeable bruising from the outside but the doctor diagnosed me with it after my x-rays came back negative. He said that it takes a long time for bone bruises to heal... in fact it is sometimes better to just break the bone itself as it would sometimes heal faster this way than with bone bruising.

I got a similar injury recently while doing the "clock choke" (I was 1/2 on his back reaching around his neck to grap the lapels). He was underneath me, on my left side. As I was straightening my arms and bringing my legs forward to sit out to apply the choke, I had a strong deep pain in the left center of my sternum/ribcage. More of a severe throbbing, not sharp. Now, 2 days later, it only hurts if I do like an ab crunch or clench my muscles in that area or if I push with hard pressure right over that spot under my left pec.

It's a concern to me. I guess i can't train for a bit. :(

VegasFighter said:
It feels like a bruise on my ribs, front bottom rib, but i dont see anything, only really hurts when i bend, or run ,or aggrivate it.. is this a bruised rib?? any help?

I bruised my rib and for a while it hurt even to lay down on my side. I had a hard time sleeping too. You may have a slightly bruised rib or a bruised muscle. Go see a doc.

VegasFighter said:
naw its nothing unbearable. it doesnt hurt that bad unless im bending, or moving.. it doesnt feel like it'll take long. I feel like i can train the way it is, but i'll mess it up more. It feels like a few days off would be good.

I trained 4 days in a row this week, and usually only train 3x a week. i dont know where the extra motivation came from.

if you have insurance get it checked out, other wise take it easy. man that guy said he took a month off, i would fuckin die. i've been out ofr a week because of ear surgery and im goin nuts. better be safe than make it worse bro

Sorry to be a pain in the ass, but the classic defintion of a "bruise" implies that there is visible discoloration in the skin from an underlying soft tissue injury. This is most commonly achieved when the area experiences direct, traumatic IMPACT-type force, such that blood vessels break in the area. This leads to leakage of blood and the resulting bruise/contusion. The blood breaks down, changes color, gets reabsorbed, blah blah blah...

Most of you guys have experienced muscle/cartilage/tendon (i.e. "soft tissue") damage (a.k.a. "strain") from NON-IMPACT forces on the thoracic rib cage. It is most commonly due to the wrenching and twisting forces that we place on our rib cages, that are inherent with grappling.

In some respects, it is true that it would be better to experience a fracture of a rib than to have certain types of soft-tissue strain in the rib cage.

Anybody who has actually had a broken rib (and confirmed by x-ray) will tell you that the pain is typically different in quality and much more intense than the vast majority of soft-tissue rib cage injuries...

A Doctor checking it out is not bad advice. they usually give me some type of muscle relaxer which I can get without visiting the doctor anyway. My ribs are somewhat sore right now. I will play it by ear.

I took a header off my dirt bike last week(8 days ago.) and it still hurts like hell. The worst is laying down I haven't slept proplerly in a week can anyone tell how long it will take from past experience. During the day I can live with the pain but the pain of laying down coupled with the lack of sleep is starting too get to me.

Any advise on how some slept(in a chair/ waterbed none painfull position anything) or how long it took to heal from person experience will be great appreiciated

Sounds like you bruised it. I did the same thing a month ago or so, kept me out of a tournament. It should heal on it's own if you take it easy for a couple of weeks. No rolling for about a week, then ease back into it slowly. I remember it only hurts when you bend and twist a certain way, or put pressure on the spot, right?

i had a bruised rib or a pulled muscle or some torn cartilidge in the back lower side of my ribs somewhere and it hurt for months.

after heavy training sessions it hurt to cough and take deep breaths in. but it wasnt bad enough not to train through, and eventually it just went away completely, it lasted a long long time tho

i cracked mine and i kept going to training just sucked it up, the doc said its not gonna kill me so if i can manage to handle the pain its ok

Back