How do people not understand the cardio difference between MMA & Boxing?

Der Eisbär

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
MMA
5 minute rounds, 1 minute rest per round.
4 total minutes of rest for a 5 round fight & 25 minutes of:
punching, kicking, defending takedowns, checking kicks, clinching
5:1 ratio of action to rest

Boxing
3 minute rounds, 1 minute rest per round.
11 total minutes of rest for a 12 round fight & 36 minutes of:
punching, and only punching
3:1 ratio of action to rest doing a much less strenuous activity.

What the fuck do you clowns not understand about this? It doesn't take some mythical level of cardio to go the distance in a boxing fight. You exert much less energy. The rounds are shorter, and you have 2.5 times the amount of rest you get in a MMA fight. HW boxers go the distance ALL THE TIME.

Last edited:
It's a different sport, working different muscles and its at a pace he's not use too.

you are a moron if you don't think he might struggle

Totally agree TS. Give Conor more rest and he can land bombs all day.

Conor McManlet will have to go 12 rounds....not 5.
so then, you didn't bother reading the OP or consider the differences of those 5 rounds and 12 rounds? hint: you get 2.5 times the total amount of rest and each 'set of action' or round, is 40% shorter than an MMA round, and the activity in those rounds is considerably less exhausting.

Last edited:
so then, you didn't bother reading the OP or considering the differences of those 5 rounds and 12 rounds? hint: you get 2.5 times the total amount of rest and each 'set of action' or round, is 40% shorter than an MMA round, and the activity in those rounds is considerably less exhausting.
What is your point?

honestly i could argue for both sides, with the underlying truth being that the type of cardio that is good for one sport does not necessarily translate to another.

i agree with most everything you said, but a few things that could be a factor to shift the argument to the other side are:
1. the volume seen in a typical boxing match at this weight
2. they're wearing heavier gloves, the effects of which get ampified by the volume of strikes
3. you do nothing but punch. mma uses the body in many ways, and in some situations, you can essentially get to rest the muscles most pertinent to punching even during an active round
4. wiffing punches makes you lose balance and costs a lot more energy. floyd is good at making people miss.

Why was TJ Dillashaw, a much better conditioned athlete whose never gassed after eight minutes of fighting, blowing out of his arsehole after a sparring at a pedestrian pace with Lomachenko?

4eafd619a95a59e9cd9b1173ccfabf61--chewbacca-the-sauce.jpg

80% of MMA fights are 3 rounds. 80% of MMA fighters are pretty gassed by the third round.

To be ready for a full 12 rounds of boxing would require ADDITIONAL cardio training by an MMA fighter.

Also, MMA fighters generally having thicker core and leg muscles would be carrying extra mass compared to the average boxer.

honestly i could argue for both sides, with the underlying truth being that the type of cardio that is good for one sport does not necessarily translate to another.

i agree with most everything you said, but a few things that could be a factor to shift the argument to the other side are:
1. the volume seen in a typical boxing match at this weight
2. they're wearing heavier gloves, the effects of which get ampified by the volume of strikes
3. you do nothing but punch. mma uses the body in many ways, and in some situations, you can essentially get to rest the muscles most pertinent to punching even during an active round
4. wiffing punches makes you lose balance and costs a lot more energy. floyd is good at making people miss.
Also it is important to note that Conor has only gone the distance twice in his career. This particular lack of experience is extremely detrimental to Conor.

If Floyd is throwing body shots at a high output then it'll eat through Conor's gas tank quickly. Plus if Conor comes out explosive and fast early on then he's more likely to fade after taking damage and wasting energy.

Footwork is also a big part of this. Floyd has a tendency to push the pace of his fights and keep his opponents moving at a fast rate, giving them little time to rest.

People are really underestimating how tiring this could be. This will be a massive test for Conor's cardio.

MMA
5 minute rounds, 1 minute rest per round.
4 total minutes of rest for a 5 round fight & 25 minutes of:
punching, kicking, defending takedowns, checking kicks, clinching
5:1 ratio of action to rest

Boxing
3 minute rounds, 1 minute rest per round.
11 total minutes of rest for a 12 round right & 36 minutes of:
punching, and only punching
3:1 ratio of action to rest doing a much less strenuous activity.

What the fuck do you clowns not understand about this? It doesn't take some mythical level of cardio to go the distance in a boxing fight. You exert much less energy. The rounds are shorter, and you have 2.5 times the amount of rest you get in a MMA fight. HW boxers go the distance ALL THE TIME.
How dare you for a second imagine that this pack of fat virgins would see the reason and logic in what you just said??? Have you forgotten? This is the alternate reality of Sherdoge, where logic does not exist and popular stupidity reigns supreme...

Of course it's a huge difference.
I've experienced it myself.
When I was training for my amateur MMA fight (2x5 min rounds) I would last about 3-4 rounds of sparring before I gassed and felt my muscles straining and shaking. In every round, I'd start breathing heavy and slowing down around the 3 minute mark.
When I was preparing for my kickboxing fight (3x3 minute rounds), I could spar and do bags for upwards of 15 rounds easily (and some days I'd do additional strength training/cardio due to having energy to spare). It was THAT much easier, and we're talking kickboxing here, which is higher pace than boxing and includes kicking and knees, which increase energy expenditure massively (lower part of body is bigger = more energy needed).
Lasting 12 rounds in boxing is no big deal. 3 minute rounds are a cakewalk.
Still, don't expect idiots here to agree, despite not having a single second of fighting experience.

How dare you for a second imagine that this pack of fat virgins would see the reason and logic in what you just said??? Have you forgotten? This is the alternate reality of Sherdoge, where logic does not exist and popular stupidity reigns supreme...

When I was training for my amateur MMA fight (2x5 min rounds) I would last about 3-4 rounds of sparring before I gassed and felt my muscles straining and shaking. In every round, I'd start breathing heavy and slowing down around the 3 minute mark.
When I was preparing for my kickboxing fight (3x3 minute rounds), I could spar and do bags for upwards of 15 rounds easily (and some days I'd do additional strength training/cardio due to having energy to spare). It was THAT much easier, and we're talking kickboxing here, which is higher pace than boxing and includes kicking and knees, which increase energy expenditure massively (lower part of body is bigger = more energy needed).
Still, don't expect idiots here to agree, despite not having a single second of fighting experience.
Thats wierd. Ive always had the opposite experience. Never gotten tired in MAA but MT is 50/50. I never found grappling to be tiring, clinching yes, but not grappling. Guys in MT were also throwing way more strikes per round.

It was easier for me to rest in MMA. I ended having to push the pace harder in MT.

Maybe I'm just wierd

Thats wierd. Ive always had the opposite experience. Never gotten tired in MAA but MT is 50/50. I never found grappling to be tiring, clinching yes, but not grappling. Guys in MT were also throwing way more strikes per round.

It was easier for me to rest in MMA. I ended having to push the pace harder in MT.

Maybe I'm just wierd

not trying to be a dick but to say grappling is not tiring tells me that either a) you've never actually grappled, or b) you went to a mcdojo and the rolling was super light. Grappling is fucking exhaustingggggg. You ever done a full wrestling practice? It is absolutely brutal and the single most difficult training i've ever gone through (have competed in basketball, baseball, football, soccer, wrestling and bjj).

I would beg to differ that boxing is only punching. Footwork baby. Ever seen Pacquiao's calves?

maxresdefault.jpg

c_zps5s0oesgr.jpg~original

Well now you have

Core muscles of mma fighters and boxers in general are about the same

Boxing is not arms only. It's feet, hips, core, shoulders, arms.

Last edited:

Calm down.

All boxers and mma practitioners are cardiovascularly maxed out for their specific sports. Both types of athletes are pushing themselves to their physical limits every fight. If a boxing match was 30 rounds instead of 12, the boxers would reduce their output as needed in order to use everything they have and hear the final bell. If an mma bout were extended to 10, 5 minute rounds, they would slow their pace considerably as well.

The point is both athletes will train to the limit of their sports parameters and both will be completely, physically spent afterwards. Just because you were physically more prepared for one over another, doesn't delegitimize boxing or some other sport.

not trying to be a dick but to say grappling is not tiring tells me that either a) you've never actually grappled, or b) you went to a mcdojo and the rolling was super light. Grappling is fucking exhaustingggggg. You ever done a full wrestling practice? It is absolutely brutal and the single most difficult training i've ever gone through (have competed in basketball, baseball, football, soccer, wrestling and bjj).

Grappling: bjj, judo, wrestling etcetera is indeed very exhausting

In a different way then boxing I guess. Boxing seems higher paced then mma striking.

I feel that in mixed martial arts the possibility to vary makes fighters more durable that in any "specialization".

Maybe I'm just wierd
Not me man. Me and my main training partner are like this, but we do come from a striking background.
If you've been a wrestler, etc., maybe things are different for you as you'd be more used to grappling. Idk.
I speak from experience and logic.

Don't know what to tell you dude, been training BJJ for 7 years. Got plenty of pros at the gym. Wrestled for year in high school, did track, and I run marathons. Grappling was rough at first but I got used to it. I just don't waste energy on the ground.

I don't gas out in general so maybe it's that more than anything. Only time I get tired is when I take a lot of damage which has only happened in MT.

Like I said I'm weird. Grappling feels natural to me.

Back