How do we bring back the free spirit and energy of the 80's music scene ?

A lot of music from the 80s was pure shit though. The best era for music, EVER, has to be 1968-1972, give or take a few years. Hell, '68 alone is the best year ever for album releases.
I like late 50s-60s, mainly for jazz. What came out in '68? I'm sure there were some monsters.

It's impossible because just about everything nowadays is significantly less awesome that it was in the 80s. While there's still some good songs and good music, it's nothing like it was then.

And as a child of the 80s, the music mostly sucked.

Enjoy twisted sister, motley crue, and poison. Ugh.

I like late 50s-60s, mainly for jazz. What came out in '68? I'm sure there were some monsters.
Hendrix Electric Ladyland Beatles The Beatles The Rolling Stones Beggars Banquet Fleetwood Mac Fleetwood Mac CCR Creedance Clearwater Revival among many others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Hendrix Electric Ladyland Beatles The Beatles The Rolling Stones Beggars Banquet Fleetwood Mac Fleetwood Mac CCR Creedance Clearwater Revival among many others I'm sure I'm forgetting.
Epic year for music, for sure!

I watched a Amazon video called Elvis meets Nixon and this song was in the film.

Man, them CCR boys grooved hard!

Would take 80's music over the 90's pearl Jam and nirvana craze.

God i hate grunge with a passion. Worst subgenre of music ever created.Kurt Cobain was a proto hipster

Last edited:
there is tons of awesome music happening. i can't keep up but I tend to come across something new that is cool every couple weeks.

these two chicks from rick and morty are pretty cool -

i then found this song after finding the rick and morty song -

I love that song from Rick and Morty. Such a haunting ending to that episode. The song was integral.

Say whaaa???? :eek:

80s was all about manufactured, packaged shit. Grunge and rap were revolts to rock and disco.

Thats not true. You had bands as diverse as the stray cats, to the sisters of mercy to poison etc,etc. There was alot more room for everything in the 80s IMO.

Hell most of the so called grunge bands even started in the 80s and didnt want to be associated with that label when it became thrown around my record labels for a quick cash grab

I agree with the op. Society has simply changed to much and music is dead.
However there is a active 80s retro movement in music and pop culture in general as others have mentioned.

I dunno but I saw Depeche Mode at a sold out show at MSG two weeks ago and it was amazing. One of the best concerts I've ever been to.

Thats not true. You had bands as diverse as the stray cats, to the sisters of mercy to poison etc,etc. There was alot more room for everything in the 80s IMO.

Hell most of the so called grunge bands even started in the 80s and didnt want to be associated with that label when it became thrown around my record labels for a quick cash grab

Yeah, grunge bands started in the 80s, I can see that. They were tired of all the Hollywood glam rock processed shit out at the time. So was I and most folk. That's why grunge got so big.

Man, I lived through the 80s. Music wasn't so great. But to each his own.

And why does Poison keep getting mentioned as a great band in this thread? Bret Michaels even said in an interview that he was making burgers, not art.

Isn't it true that rap also underwent
Its formative years in the '80s?

Yeah, grunge bands started in the 80s, I can see that. They were tired of all the Hollywood glam rock processed shit out at the time. So was I and most folk. That's why grunge got so big.

Thas a tired cliche though. There was alot more than just glam rock. Punk was big, new wave was big, heavy metal was big etc,etc and to make it worse alot of them so called grunge bands like say Alice in chains for example even started out as a Hair band

and for all its supposed revolt you still had bands like Bon Jovi and Firehouse having hits right in the middle of Nirvana and such. The notion it was a counter movement against glam is largely a myth as many glam bands died out from a mixture of drugs/burn out before that scene even broke and many of the acts that came later either played that kind of music when they formed or didnt have a problem with it.

The funny thing is that hair metal or more accurately pop metal kept imitating itself over and over. Pop metal--a more accurate way to describe the music--was created in the 70s. Kiss, Aerosmith, Van Halen and others really started the genre. By the 80s, it was kind of just imitating itself. The music in the 90s was much more creative than the 80s

HonestIy I would take 80s underground music over anything in the 90s

Thas a tired cliche though. There was alot more than just glam rock. Punk was big, new wave was big, heavy metal was big etc,etc and to make it worse alot of them so called grunge bands like say Alice in chains for example even started out as a Hair band

and for all its supposed revolt you still had bands like Bon Jovi and Firehouse having hits right in the middle of Nirvana and such. The notion it was a counter movement against glam is largely a myth as many glam bands died out from a mixture of drugs/burn out before that scene even broke and many of the acts that came later either played that kind of music when they formed or didnt have a problem with it.

I don't know, bro. You ever watch Headbangers Ball on MTV during the 80s? There wasn't a lot of variance.

I like how TS was talking about music and how every post is about the hair/clothes...

This is why music is dead..

Both those songs sucked, my dood. WTF??

<JerryWWF>

you implied that they were good...
tenor.gif

Back